Sabres since beginning of March

jsb

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Here’s a question for you.  If they bring back the same team. Add- JJ, Quinn and UPL for Toker, Bjork and Eaken.  How far under the Cap will they be?? 

I've done this projection earlier.  The Status Quo team is as follows  https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3200901

1) Re-sign VO for 4 years 5 mill per season

2) Re-sign RFAs Bryson and UPL for 1 mill each for 2 years

3) Re-sign UFAs Vinnie and Anderson for 1.5 each and Pysyk for 1.25.

4) Promote JJP, UPL and Quinn.

This is a 23 man roster (14 F, 7 D and 2 G) for 55 million.(About 6.5 mill under the cap floor)

Lines look something like this

Forwards

Skinner, TNT, Tuch

VO, Mitts, Quinn

Asplund, Girgensons, KO

Krebs, Cozens, JJP

(Bjork and Vinnie are extras)

Defense and Goaltending

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Pysyk (Fitz)

Anderson, UPL

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I've done this projection earlier.  The Status Quo team is as follows  https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3200901

This is a 23 many roster (14 F, 7 D and 2 G) for 55 million.(About 16.5 mill under the cap)

Forwards

Skinner, TNT, Tuch

VO, Mitts, Quinn

Asplund, Girgensons, KO

Krebs, Cozens, JJP

Defense and Goaltending

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Pysyk (Fitz)

Anderson, UPL

That’s excellent.   thank you 

$16.5 million!   Looks like Kevin is going to have to do some big game Hunting this off season 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

That’s excellent.   thank you 

$16.5 million!   Looks like Kevin is going to have to do some big game Hunting this off season 

Actually it’s 6.5 mill under the cap floor. Typo. Sorry!.  However don’t forget it’s actually more than that.  If Hinostroza, Pysyk, and Anderson aren’t retained, that’s another 4 mill under the Cap Floor.  Waive Bjork, that opens up another 1.1.

The way I look at it is there are 4-5 open jobs for next season; starting goalie, Okposo line center, veteran RHD (upgrade over Pysyk), and extra skater (could be either a 14th forward or 8th D).  The 5th opening is the backup goalie if UPL isn’t ready. To fill these jobs, they have to spend at least 11.5 mill to get to the cap floor (16.5 if VO isn’t re-signed) and up to 31 mill to get to the cap ceiling.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Another thing that we've seen on this run is that the Sabres have been steadily improving possession in the offensive zone:  Forechecking, regaining possession, cycling, moving low to high, involving all five skaters, finding shooters in the slot.  You never saw that under Krueger, and rarely under Housley.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

In the end this season ended up derailed by Anderson's injury causing a huge ripple  in our goalie room. Not playoffs mind you but probably a slightly better record.

This is why we have to expend assets immediately for goaltending.  This team with Anderson and Tokarski is playing at a 100 point pace against a gauntlet of playoff and near-playoff teams.  Imagine if we had even league-average goaltending...

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a 23 man roster (14 F, 7 D and 2 G) for 55 million.(About 6.5 mill under the cap floor)

Forwards

Skinner, TNT, Tuch

VO, Mitts, Quinn

Asplund, Girgensons, KO

Krebs, Cozens, JJP

Defense and Goaltending

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Pysyk (Fitz)

Anderson, UPL

I need to vastly improve that bottom pairing and the goaltending.  I personally would have Bjork in Rochester with Drake Caggiula in Buffalo if we make few changes off the current roster.  I can easily get above the cap floor just with those moves.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Not to jinx it or anything, but we still mathematically have a chance to finish above the bottom 10, something we haven't done since Pegula's first full season as owner.

I wouldn't worry about jinxig that; it's little more than a moral victory.

22 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s the error.  We played on Jan 1 and the NHL included that in your numbers.  That would be 11 "dec" games with an 2-6-3 record or .318

Here is food for thought.  In the 20 games from Nov through Jan in which Dell or Subban didn't play, the Sbares were 8-8-4.  That's hockey 500.

I was wondering how much that stretch hurt us when goaltending was Dell and Subban.  Even if the Sabres were to only win half of the games they played in they would have 6-7 more wins, or 12-14 more points.  That would put them at 81 points and above .500% winning percentage.

I think everyone can agree, goaltending has to be a major priority this off season. Overpay if you must.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I think everyone can agree, goaltending has to be a major priority this off season. Overpay if you must.

Even if the Sabres had brought in the second coming of Hasek, that wouldn't have saved them if that goalie got injured.  It wasn't that they had the wrong goalie the last couple seasons, it's that the goalies they had couldn't stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Not to jinx it or anything, but we still mathematically have a chance to finish above the bottom 10, something we haven't done since Pegula's first full season as owner.

Welcome back!

rankings (at ES) from Nov 1 - Feb 28:

Points% 32nd
CF% 24th
ShotsFor/60 22nd  (28.96)
ShotsAgainst/60 30th (34.09)
HDCF/60 31st
HDCA/60 22nd
Sv% 30th

Since March 1st:

Points% 13th
CF% 13th
ShotsFor/60 28th (28.46)
ShotsAgainst/60 13th (30.08)
HDCF/60 29th
HDCA/60 20th
Sv% 22nd

The biggest difference here is Corsi which dovetails with in improvement in shots against, without sacrificing shots for.

Save percentage is also improved, but still ranks in the bottom half of the league.   

Still not generating enough high danger chances.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Forwards

Skinner, TNT, Tuch

VO, Mitts, Quinn

Asplund, Girgensons, KO

Krebs, Cozens, JJP

Defense and Goaltending

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Pysyk (Fitz)

Anderson, UPL

So basically we need to find a $7M per year goalie to replace Andy.

On 4/18/2022 at 12:22 AM, thewookie1 said:

In the end this season ended up derailed by Anderson's injury causing a huge ripple  in our goalie room. Not playoffs mind you but probably a slightly better record.

If he didn’t get injured his wheels still would have fallen off halfway through the season. We’re seeing it now. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.