Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

12 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I wasn’t aware the NHL had compensatory picks?

“For college NCAA players that have been drafted, NHL teams retain their rights until 30 days after the player has left college.

A team that does not sign a first-round draft pick receives a compensatory pick in a future draft upon losing the rights to that player, determined on a case-by-case basis.”

https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/nhl-draft-101-rules-and-information/c-675546

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I believe so I don't think hes worth that much though. 

That sucks.  I am hoping to send him to a rebuilding team with another prospect or pick for an experienced top 4 RHD whom they are willing to move.

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Every game  That goes I lose hope.

Because I'm pretty sure he wants to burn a year of his contract

I know we've had some discussion on this board about a scenario of trading Johnson for another D prospect who is right-handed.  Assuming he does sign though, I certainly don't mind the vision of a future D-corp made up of Dahlin, Power, Mule, Joki and Johnson.  That could pretty amazing actually!

• Thanks (+1) 1

This is interesting.

The last two Sabres draft picks to stay in college long enough to qualify for free agency did not exercise that option and instead signed with the Sabres anyway.

They were Linus Weissbach and Casey Fitzgerald.

The one previous to those two may have been Will Borgen, who may have also been able to walk after 3 years because he was drafted at 19. Not certain on that one.

Prior to Borgen, Sean Malone did 4 years in Harvard and still signed with the Sabres.

It seems to me Cal Petersen was more the exception than the rule.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This is interesting.

The last two Sabres draft picks to stay in college long enough to qualify for free agency did not exercise that option and instead signed with the Sabres anyway.

They were Linus Weissbach and Casey Fitzgerald.

The one previous to those two may have been Will Borgen, who may have also been able to walk after 3 years because he was drafted at 19. Not certain on that one.

Prior to Borgen, Sean Malone did 4 years in Harvard and still signed with the Sabres.

It seems to me Cal Petersen was more the exception than the rule.

Bill Murray Film GIF

• spndnchz locked this topic
  • nfreeman unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'd say portillo because he has some friends on the sabres team.   But likely both are not signing.

You may be right that both players may decide to go elsewhere. I just believe that once the Sabres got Levi in a trade it made it less likely that he would come here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.