Who makes the jump to Rochester next season?

GASabresIUFAN

The cupboard in Rochester with good prospects is getting a little bare.

Samuelsson and Fitz made the jump in season.  Quinn and JJP look ready to make the jump next fall.  KA seems set on putting UPL in the NHL as well.  R2's plan to go back to Europe empties the cupboard even more.

So who is left? Weissback (24 in April), Murrray (24 in July), Biro (24), Rousek (23 in April) and Laaksonen (23 in July).

Not exactly the list of top flight prospects.

So, who's next?

2018 - the 3 late round D.  Honestly I don't see any of them getting signed and if they do, all look stay at home players without any O upside.  

2019 - Ryan Johnson, Erik Portillo, Aaron Huglen and Filip Cederqvist.  Signing Johnson after the Frozen Four is a necessity.  We literally have no prospect LHD depth at the AHL level.  Huglen and Cederqvist (14g, 32p pts in 49 SHL games) made huge strides this season.  Huglen will almost certainly return to Minn as one of their top forwards next season.  I hope Cederqvist makes the jump.  Portillo, with Levi returning to college is almost certainly going to be signed to man the Amerks net.

2020 - Matteo Costantini, Albert Lyckasen, Jakub Konecny. Like Huglen, Matteo made a huge jump this season at UND.  I suspect he'll also return for another college season.  I don't see either of the 7th rounders getting a contract.

2021 - Power is making the Jump to the NHL.  I don't know Rosen's contract status but he looks like he needs at least another season in Sweden.  Who knows about the status of the 3 Russians.  Will KA try to get them out? Sardarian is off to college next year.  Bloom is also likely to return to the OHL.  That leaves two guys who I think could conceivably be signed this offseason.  Olivier Nadeau is already 19 and has completed 3 CHL seasons.  I think he is eligible to move to the AHL.  He has blossom with 31g 40a for 71 points in only 56 games ytd.  Like Nadeau, 7th rd pick, Tyson Kozak (19) has also blossomed in his 3rd CHL season with 31 g 36a for 67 pts in 62 WHL games.  Neither guys needs to be signed, but given the lack of depth in Rochester I can see KA signing both.

Bottom line: New Amerks

2019: Johnson, Portillo and hopefully Cederqvist.  EDIT: Portillo also returning to college, Johnson’s decision still unknown.

2020: no one

2021: Nadeau and Kozak.  EDIT: Kozak is eligible to sign because of his Dec 29th Bday.  Nadeau is ineligible to be signed.  (Dumb rule)!

Looks like KA should sign a couple college UFAs.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4

This is exacerbated by Arttu leaving Rochester this coming offseason.

I believe Fitzgerald is back in ROC to start next season once a veteran NHL RHD is acquired/UFA-signed. He can be a good 7/8 call-up if injuries hit, but it's best if he plays in the AHL rather than warming the press box seat in Buffalo.

The Amerks already signed Knoepke to an AHL-level deal, but I imagine the Sabres will also sign 1-2 college UFAs after the Frozen Four completes to help fill out the Amerks roster for next season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The cupboard in Rochester with good prospects is getting a little bare.

Samuelsson and Fitz made the jump in season.  Quinn and JJP look ready to make the jump next fall.  KA seems set on putting UPL in the NHL as well.  R2's plan to go back to Europe empties the cupboard even more.

So who is left? Weissback (24 in April), Murrray (24 in July), Biro (24), Rousek (23 in April) and Laaksonen (23 in July).

Not exactly the list of top flight prospects.

So, who's next?

2018 - the 3 late round D.  Honestly I don't see any of them getting signed and if they do, all look stay at home players without any O upside.  

2019 - Ryan Johnson, Erik Portillo, Aaron Huglen and Filip Cederqvist.  Signing Johnson after the Frozen Four is a necessity.  We literally have no prospect LHD depth at the AHL level.  Huglen and Cederqvist (14g, 32p pts in 49 SHL games) made huge strides this season.  Huglen will almost certainly return to Minn as one of their top forwards next season.  I hope Cederqvist makes the jump.  Portillo, with Levi returning to college is almost certainly going to be signed to man the Amerks net.

2020 - Matteo Costantini, Albert Lyckasen, Jakub Konecny. Like Huglen, Matteo made a huge jump this season at UND.  I suspect he'll also return for another college season.  I don't see either of the 7th rounders getting a contract.

2021 - Power is making the Jump to the NHL.  I don't know Rosen's contract status but he looks like he needs at least another season in Sweden.  Who knows about the status of the 3 Russians.  Will KA try to get them out? Sardarian is off to college next year.  Bloom is also likely to return to the OHL.  That leaves two guys who I think could conceivably be signed this offseason.  Olivier Nadeau is already 19 and has completed 3 CHL seasons.  I think he is eligible to move to the AHL.  He has blossom with 31g 40a for 71 points in only 56 games ytd.  Like Nadeau, 7th rd pick, Tyson Kozak (19) has also blossomed in his 3rd CHL season with 31 g 36a for 67 pts in 62 WHL games.  Neither guys needs to be signed, but given the lack of depth in Rochester I can see KA signing both.

Bottom line: New Amerks

2019: Johnson, Portillo and hopefully Cederqvist

2020: no one

2021: Nadeau and Tyson

Looks like KA should sign a couple college UFAs.

Neither Nadeau nor Kozak will be AHL eligibility next season. Kozak could be but I don't remember if the cutoff is Dec31 or Dec1 for turning 20.

Edit: Kozak would be ahl eligible due to turning 20 b4 Dec31 which is the cutoff. 

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

This is exacerbated by Arttu leaving Rochester this coming offseason.

I believe Fitzgerald is back in ROC to start next season once a veteran NHL RHD is acquired/UFA-signed. He can be a good 7/8 call-up if injuries hit, but it's best if he plays in the AHL rather than warming the press box seat in Buffalo.

The Amerks already signed Knoepke to an AHL-level deal, but I imagine the Sabres will also sign 1-2 college UFAs after the Frozen Four completes to help fill out the Amerks roster for next season.

Fitzgerald might not clear waivers, hard to say

Edited by LGR4GM

I don't know if I'd write off the 2018 late round defenders just yet.

Both Miska Kukkonen and William Worge Kreu are playing in the playoffs still or just ended deep runs.

I could see both in Rochester next year and Kukkonen is a RD so there's that.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Neither Nadeau nor Kozak will be AHL eligibility next season. 

That rule *****in sucks. It should be the players decision. Period. 

With consideration from the NHL rights holders. 

Junior teams can ***** off after three fricking seasons. Gimme a break. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Definitely a possibility. Every team has one or two of those tweeners that could get nabbed. It depends on when he's sent down (that last wave of preseason cuts?) and if anyone else has had a recent RHD injury that'll put a regular on LTIR for half the season. The Sabres had Joker and Samuelsson missing games early and picked up Wolanin for a game. Then Wolanin ended up right back with the Kings.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

The other person I see as a very real possibility to join the Amerks (if Hinostroza is re-signed and Quinn looks good in camp) is Bjork. No team in the league is going to pick up his $1.6M contract.

Let's hope so. Bjork has been a major disappointment.

I hope Buffalo re-signs Vinny. He's been excellent and exactly the kind of vet this team needs.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Neither Nadeau nor Kozak will be AHL eligibility next season. Kozak could be but I don't remember if the cutoff is Dec31 or Dec1 for turning 20.

Edit: Kozak would be ahl eligible due to turning 20 b4 Dec31 which is the cutoff. 

I just checked the rules again.  I thought a player was AHL eligible if he turns 20 the following season, but you are correct the cutoff is 12/31.  Therefore Kozak is eligible to be signed by two days (12/29) while Nadeau, a Jan B-day, isn't.  Stupid.  If they have completed 3 years of Juniors, I'd say they gave all they should be required to give. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I thought Laaksonen had a real shot but it seems like dude is just not good enough.  Oh well. I bet GMKA signs a couple of college free agents that will compete for AHL spots.  

I wouldn't give up on Laaksonen yet.  Fitzgerald was a 3rd rd pick in 2016 and finally made the Sabres this year.  Oskari is a 3rd rd pick for 2017 and is in only his 2nd year of NA pro hockey.  Given our lack of depth on the right side, he could easily get a shot next season.  He is still physically maturing and is now 6'2" 185.   

According the Amerks coaching staff he is making strides on defense.  https://pickinsplinters.com/2022/01/12/laaksonen-assists-on-4-goals-in-amerks-win-but-his-defensive-gains-are-more-important/

• Like (+1) 1

As far as the CHL kids, 3 of them (Nadeau, Kozak, Marjala) are all on top teams and headed for playoffs but Bloom is on a team that is dead last and their season ends this weekend. It would make a lot of sense to sign him to an ATO and send him to Rochester even if only to workout with the team. It wouldn't shock me at all as the kid has size 6'2 and speed to easily play at the next level.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, Johnny Utah said:

As far as the CHL kids, 3 of them (Nadeau, Kozak, Marjala) are all on top teams and headed for playoffs but Bloom is on a team that is dead last and their season ends this weekend. It would make a lot of sense to sign him to an ATO and send him to Rochester even if only to workout with the team. It wouldn't shock me at all as the kid has size 6'2 and speed to easily play at the next level.

Is he old enough? I like this idea 

Nadeau from what I'm reading looks like we may have gotten a steal there. Defensemen Ryan Johnson hopefully signs here, any word yet? I'm not sure of the eligibility of Isaak Rosen, he may be available and Peterka will also probably start in Rochester next season unless he lights it up in preseason. Are we going to need to restock the goalie cupboards after both our goalies decided to go back to college?

Edited by GoPuckYourself

20 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Nadeau from what I'm reading looks like we may have gotten a steal there. Defensemen Ryan Johnson hopefully signs here, any word yet? I'm not sure of the eligibility of Isaak Rosen, he may be available and unless he lights it up in preseason. Are we going to need to restock the goalie cupboards after both our goalies decided to go back to college?

Peterka will also probably start in Rochester next season

george costanza pretzel GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.