Arttu Ruotsalainen Would Like to Remain A Member of the Buffalo Sabres

Brawndo

Not surprised if true, but a little disappointed. With the additions of Krebs, Tuch, and the growth of JJP and Quinn, not much room in Buffalo any longer for a player of his skillset.  Still with injuries comes opportunity and he is very close to being an NHL player.  Not sure why you’d give up so quickly.  A job in the Swiss league will always be there.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

He's 24 and will be 25 in October. He has decent numbers for an AHL guy. We got a butt load of first and second round picks over the next 2 years plus our college prospects are due to arrive. The writing may be on the wall.

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Does this mean he’s no longer an Amerk.  The tweets are so ambiguous. 

I keep seeing *next season*. So he's in Rochester till the season is over is the way I take it.

17 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He's 24 and will be 25 in October. He has decent numbers for an AHL guy. We got a butt load of first and second round picks over the next 2 years plus our college prospects are due to arrive. The writing may be on the wall.

I keep seeing *next season*. So he's in Rochester till the season is over is the way I take it.

Would have been nice if everyone waited until this season was over before making the announcement but I’m guessing the Euro leagues don’t care much about how these kind of things. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

What's a guy make in the AHL as compared to the Swiss League?  If your NHL window is closing, ya gotta take the Swiss Francs while you can.

According to capfriendly he’s making $70,000 in the AHL.  I can see why he’d make the jump.  He’s a nice little player but I’m not sure he was ever going to be anything more than a tweener.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

According to capfriendly he’s making $70,000 in the AHL.  I can see why he’d make the jump.  He’s a nice little player but I’m not sure he was ever going to be anything more than a tweener.  

Agree with this.

Pretty sure this is legally no different than the Sabres agreeing on deal today with Rosen effective when his Swedish deal ends, but it does smell funny.

Swiss Francs are apparently ~1.08 USD, and the average salary for the one team is something like 290,000 francs. I'd hope an NHL-maybe would be at the higher end of that. Looking at some other numbers, the average AHL is $51k USD, and the highest paid players are barely up to that Swiss average. Can't imagine why players would play in the AHL other than the NHL teams make them, I'd assume a lot of guys would get paid better in Europe and not get wailed on by some guy making $20k USD trying to make a name.

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php/shn/11-swiss-ice-hockey/nla/25841-the-average-salary-of-a-hcfg-player-is-chf-290-000

https://sport-net.org/what-is-the-average-salary-in-the-ahl/

12 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

Offer him some Ted's dogs instead. 

That might be it, "I'm sick of the garbage plate, it is literally garbage. I want some chocolate."

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Swiss Francs are apparently ~1.08 USD, and the average salary for the one team is something like 290,000 francs. I'd hope an NHL-maybe would be at the higher end of that. Looking at some other numbers, the average AHL is $51k USD, and the highest paid players are barely up to that Swiss average. Can't imagine why players would play in the AHL other than the NHL teams make them, I'd assume a lot of guys would get paid better in Europe and not get wailed on by some guy making $20k USD trying to make a name.

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.php/shn/11-swiss-ice-hockey/nla/25841-the-average-salary-of-a-hcfg-player-is-chf-290-000

https://sport-net.org/what-is-the-average-salary-in-the-ahl/

That might be it, "I'm sick of the garbage plate, it is literally garbage. I want some chocolate."

Who wouldn't want to live in Switzerland? ꞙ290,000 is just enough to live on there too.

• Like (+1) 1

So, they didn't trade away Eakin, and kept R2 in Rochester to help make sure that the Amerks make the playoffs (something still very much in question). 

Nice work there GMKA.

I was hoping that R2 could take Eakin's place at least by next year.   He's found his game again in the AHL.  I still think that he can play better than Eakin and Bjork.

Who's our 4C next year?   Even if we luck into Shane Wright, I'm not even sure that he wouldn't get sent back to junior for another year.  GMKA says that he doesn't

like college free-agents....Devon Levi is still unsigned...Let's just hope that Power does sign!

2 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

So, they didn't trade away Eakin, and kept R2 in Rochester to help make sure that the Amerks make the playoffs (something still very much in question). 

Nice work there GMKA.

I was hoping that R2 could take Eakin's place at least by next year.   He's found his game again in the AHL.  I still think that he can play better than Eakin and Bjork.

Who's our 4C next year?   Even if we luck into Shane Wright, I'm not even sure that he wouldn't get sent back to junior for another year.  GMKA says that he doesn't

like college free-agents....Devon Levi is still unsigned...Let's just hope that Power does sign!

Much ado about nothing.  R2 was the definition of JAG.  We’re done with those types.  And if we aren’t, next season will suck.

• Like (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Nice work there GMKA.

I’m not sure how a 5’8” offensive forward is going to fill a 4th line role.  It has happened.  See Paul Byron but it is few and far between.  Artuu has been passed by nearly every player available to be called up.  He’s definitely contributing but he’s also been playing with Murray, Quinn, Peterka, Mersch, MacInnis and Jankowski.  We saw him in Buffalo.  A limited player who has probably reached his ceiling. 

Edited by inkman
  • Thanks (+1) 3

I didn’t mind him, I just think the window here has closed for him. He would only see NHL ice if there were multiple injuries.

I don’t think he has the defensive game to be a 4th liner and his offensive game isn’t at the level to crack the top 9.

Thanks for trying, enjoy Swiss hockey, among other things.

57 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure how a 5’8” offensive forward is going to fill a 4th line role.  It has happened.  See Paul Byron but it is few and far between.  Artuu has been passed by nearly every player available to be called up.  He’s definitely contributing but he’s also been playing with Murray, Quinn, Peterka, Mersch, MacInnis and Jankowski.  We saw him in Buffalo.  A limited player who has probably reached his ceiling. 

OK. So, do we resign Jankowski to play 4C?  At least he has size.   Or do we put Asplund at 4C?  Asplund is a bit gun-shy on offense, but can dish enough that Okposo and Girgensens can score a few.   Asplund drove 1C in Rochester for Olofsson.   Quinn and JJ are going to push some of the winger JAGs down the line-up.

The new 4th center is going to come from outside the organization.  I've suggested Lars Eller, but there are others.  We need to spend 15-18 mill just to get to the cap floor.  Getting a good 4th center; someone who can score, win a draw but also play up in the lineup, is going to be part of KA's spending this off-season.  

Despite playing well of late, there are questions surrounding all of our current centers.  For example, is Mitts going to stay healthy and reach his potential.  What is Cozens upside? Can TNT repeat this year's success or was this a career year.  Without any good prospect centers in the organization near NHL ready, we are going to have to have NHL depth that can play important roles when called upon.  

Just the other day I was wondering what would keep a player like him in the AHL. I guess it's all about the prospect of an NHL payday.

It's too bad they couldn't have at least gotten something for him though. If he had gotten hot like he is now before the trade deadline maybe there would have been a taker.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.