GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - April 3, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B WGR ESPN+

woods-racer

21 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They need goaltending. The rest is a whish list. Same as every other NHL team.

I think you are overrating them compared to the very good teams.  Very good teams are SC contenders.  We are just starting to look like a playoff team.  There is still work to do.  

We  have Fitz, Joker, Miller and Psysk at RHD.  Not nearly good enough for a very good team.  

We need to be better up the middle.  We are bad in the face off circle. The centers we have will likely improve but adding one more to replace Eakin will help and should not be that hard.  

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think you are overrating them compared to the very good teams.  Very good teams are SC contenders.  We are just starting to look like a playoff team.  There is still work to do.  

We  have Fitz, Joker, Miller and Psysk at RHD.  Not nearly good enough for a very good team.  

We need to be better up the middle.  We are bad in the face off circle. The centers we have will likely improve but adding one more to replace Eakin will help and should not be that hard.  

Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Rangers, Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh and Islanders are teams in the Eastern Division that are better than us right now and for the immediate future. As you point out this franchise still has a way to go to get to that higher echelon and pass some of these teams. Without good goaltending this team will be at best stuck competing for a lower playoff spot.  

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

As you point out this franchise still has a way to go to get to that higher echelon and pass some of these teams.

Sabres are a core of skilled young players… with only a handful of grown men… Off season strength training and another year or two of experience battling grown men… and this team will move to the top tier of the division for a long time… KA will add a goaltender and a piece or two next year… Doubt he will mess much with the roster… He got rid of the pieces he needed to already… Players he adds outside the pipeline will be few… my bet…

9 hours ago, Believer said:

Sabres are a core of skilled young players… with only a handful of grown men… Off season strength training and another year or two of experience battling grown men… and this team will move to the top tier of the division for a long time… KA will add a goaltender and a piece or two next year… Doubt he will mess much with the roster… He got rid of the pieces he needed to already… Players he adds outside the pipeline will be few… my bet…

In general, I agree with your response. It's very unlikely that this roster is going to be overhauled because as Okposo described how the roster is being developed: it is being done organically i.e. mostly by in-house player development. As you stated there still needs to be a couple to few key outside additions. 

The overhanging issue for me is how the GM addresses the goalie position next year and after. Will he expend resources for a major upgrade or will he continue on settling for a lower caliber option? Most top tier teams have that position secured; we currently do not. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, PASabreFan said:

He sure is. Must Whip

I think you have it backwards. Hoppe is even better for this. And Hammy. And even my man Harrington. They are not interested in customer engagement.

Every time I think of coming back and commenting, PA goes and reminds why not.

I swear, I live rent-free in PA's head, given how triggered they are every time my name is mentioned on this board.

jw

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I swear, I live rent-free in PA's head, given how triggered they are every time my name is mentioned on this board.

jw

... did you search for your name or something? This thread is 5 weeks old. 

19 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

And yet you commented, anyway.

Looks like PA has some nice, really cheap real estate in your head, as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

John was mentioned w/ the @ before his name in the post PA responded to, so there was a notification to him.  Pretty sure PA's post was pretty soon after the one referring to him. 

If this is John's 1st time checking in, he would just see the notification now.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SwampD said:

Yup. As I scrolled through a thread, I couldn't help but notice PA's comment, which led me to making a post. I hadn't thought of PA until PA's post reminded me of the reason why I don't post here. I've noted in the past how a limited few number of posters here make it difficult to hold a conversation simply because they have some grudge against others or a view that makes it difficult for others to challenge.

I see some of those few posters still have that tight grip on this board, otherwise, you wouldn't be here defending them.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

John was mentioned w/ the @ before his name in the post PA responded to, so there was a notification to him.  Pretty sure PA's post was pretty soon after the one referring to him. 

This is correct. But why spoil the roll the person's on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

Yup. As I scrolled through a thread, I couldn't help but notice PA's comment, which led me to making a post. I hadn't thought of PA until PA's post reminded me of the reason why I don't post here. I've noted in the past how a limited few number of posters here make it difficult to hold a conversation simply because they have some grudge against others or a view that makes it difficult for others to challenge.

I see some of those few posters still have that tight grip on this board, otherwise, you wouldn't be here defending them.

Thanks.

John -- you're of course free to post here or avoid us like the plague as you prefer.  But if you're at all interested in the (good IMHO) hockey talk that we have here, I would urge you to simply ignore those few posters who annoy you and just engage with those who want to have legit hockey conversations.

For example:  do you see the Sabres bringing in a real goalie this summer?  I have a hard time seeing them giving a contract that is longer than 2-3 years to a goalie in light of KA's repeated statements about not boxing out the youngsters.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Way to deflect the point.

Just now, john wawrow said:

Thanks.

Look, you can spin this however you want but you still resurrected this. Yes, there are strong voices but you've made it clear every time you come back you're don't like it here. The bottom comment is weird considering I know all the biggest voices here and we rarely agree on stuff. Some great debates and intense conversations occur. 

I'm not deflecting anything. It's strange for you to come back 5 weeks later to bring this back up. PA reminds you why you don't like it here, fine. I don't think you've ever seriously tried to be a part of this place but if that's your reason, you're welcome to it. PA is definitely a unique voice and there are lots of times he's not my cup of tea.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That would make sense. Honestly though I'd ignore something like this if I came back after this time away. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Look, you can spin this however you want but you still resurrected this. Yes, there are strong voices but you've made it clear every time you come back you're don't like it here. The bottom comment is weird considering I know all the biggest voices here and we rarely agree on stuff. Some great debates and intense conversations occur. 

I'm not deflecting anything. It's strange for you to come back 5 weeks later to bring this back up. PA reminds you why you don't like it here, fine. I don't think you've ever seriously tried to be a part of this place but if that's your reason, you're welcome to it. PA is definitely a unique voice and there are lots of times he's not my cup of tea.

That would make sense. Honestly though I'd ignore something like this if I came back after this time away. 

Some would, & some wouldn't.  MHO, a PM would probably be a more effective way of dealing w/ it, but don't know the full backstory either.  Is what it is.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

John -- you're of course free to post here or avoid us like the plague as you prefer.  But if you're at all interested in the (good IMHO) hockey talk that we have here, I would urge you to simply ignore those few posters who annoy you and just engage with those who want to have legit hockey conversations.

For example:  do you see the Sabres bringing in a real goalie this summer?  I have a hard time seeing them giving a contract that is longer than 2-3 years to a goalie in light of KA's repeated statements about not boxing out the youngsters.

Congrats John, you got me to agree with nfreeman and we're like lava and swimming. 

Just now, Taro T said:

Some would, & some wouldn't.  MHO, a PM would probably be a more effective way of dealing w/ it, but don't know the full backstory either.  Is what it is.

That's fair

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Thanks.

Thanks for stopping by John. 

Who asked the question about the conditions of the arena? Was that Mike Harrington?

30 minutes ago, SDS said:

Thanks for stopping by John. 

Who asked the question about the conditions of the arena? Was that Mike Harrington?

Good luck.  The kids smoking in the bath room are bound and determined to make it difficult for him in here.

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Good luck.  The kids smoking in the bath room are bound and determined to make it difficult for him in here.

Seems like he’s pretty bound and determined before he even steps foot in this place.

All I saw was people waiting in line at the urinal.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, john wawrow said:
7 hours ago, Taro T said:

I apologize.  (I'm the one who tagged you.)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Look, you can spin this however you want but you still resurrected this.

Oh I can totally see it.  You haven't been on the forum in a while and you have a notification you've been tagged.  And you follow it through and see someone slamming you (again), and it's only human nature to comment on it.  It's not like he dug down into the bowels of the forum to find it; he had a notification right at the top of the page.

We all know John is not a wilting violet; nothing surprising here.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.