RJ Video Links

GASabresIUFAN

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

And I really think Eakin is teaching the kids how to take faceoffs.  FO% from the Nashville game:

• Eakin:  56%
  • Cozens:  67%
  • Mitts:  50%
  • Thommer:  75%
  • Okie, Skinner, Asplund:  0%... but hey, they're wingers.
  • Overall:  53%

Now tell me again how we're a bad FO team.

Anyway, came here to post this:

14 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Jack had no clue.

Still doesn't.

Been there when the floor shook from the crowd like an earth quake.

It's been 2 decades. We are ready.

Forget Jack! He has about as much respect with Sabres fans as Slava Kozlov: NONE.

My God that was simply wonderful (the whole RJ banner raising thing)...I became a Sabre fan way back in 1971 when I followed Punch over from the Leafs. My late brother was a very good goalie in the Toronto system who came up and played back-up a few times with the big team and was the Marlies starting goalie for several years. He got me free tickets for all home Marlie games at the old Gardens and IO was lucky to meet so many players both then in the NHL and future NHLer's. 

When Punch left to go to Buffale I followed him and have been a fan (for better or worse) for 51 years. I can say that there have been so many amazing memories and I cried non-stop through the amazing tribute to RJ and the video that included so many of those great memories! Thank you RJ and TY Sabres for such a fitting and outstanding tribute to truly an amazing announcer )and person). Love you RJ...

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/1/2022 at 11:00 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mods.  Would you be so kind to pin this thread for a week or so to give everyone here quick access to the RJ videos.

Fellow member, please feel free to add your favorite RJ videos.

Let me know if you need me to clean out discussion to just have this for videos.

A personal favourite.  "There's room on the 'Believers' Bandwagon.'"

Remember that we could have lost him to throat cancer.

One of his most important calls.

The original call...

Here's on of my favourite CDs

And Greg speaks for all of us.  Maybe not the greatest song, but he loves RJ as much as we all do.

I have got to find my audio tape of this.  12 April 1973.  I've had the tape for almost 50 years.  I have it memorised 

Paul Wieland: The fans are now cheering, "Thank you, Sabres."

RJ: They're unbelievable.  Listen to them, 16,000 strong, chanting, "Thank you, Sabres."  Meanwhile, the hockey game isn't over with yet, there's still 28 seconds remaining.

On the face-off, back to Carriere.  THERE'S a blast!  That one's deflected wide.  Martin has it in the corner, back to Robert.  He took a shot!  That one bounced over Perreault's stick.  Perreault goes after it in the corner.  IN FRONT OF THE NET!  That one's knocked away.  Perreault goes after it again. He's STILL got it in the corner.  OUT IN FRONT!  THERE'S A SHOT, ANOTHER SHOT!  SCOORRRES!  RICK MARTIN!  And the crowd are going crazy again!  Rick Martin, with 12 seconds left in regulation play, gets the Sabres' second goal of the game.  And out comes the debris again!  They may be serving breakfast here before this one's all over.

PW: I'm telling you, Rick, there is no way that Richard Martin wasn't going to score that goal.  He pumped away at that rebound and almost drover it through Kenny Dryden.  He really hammered at it.  And Perreault made the play.  And the fans, Rick?  This is amazing, Rick.  I mean, they know they are not going to win the hockey game; let's face it.  I mean, it could happen, but it won't.  But these fans are acting as if this game is going into overtime.  The guys have really got to picked up by this, and they have really played well.

Milt Ellis: Second Buffalo goal score by number 7, Rick Martin.

RJ: Martin gets the goal after whacking away at it in the crease.

ME: Assists to number 8, Jim Lorentz,-

RJ: Lorentz and Perreault get the assists

ME: -and number 11, Gil Perreault.

RJ: That cheer you hear is for Gil Perreault.  Well, the Buffalo Sabres may not win this hockey game, but no one will have to look into a programme to figure out who is number one in these fans' hearts of the two teams on this rink tonight.  4-2, Montreal leading.  12 seconds left in regulation time.  And the fans start the "Thank you, Sabres" chant again.

PW: The game might be over with like you said, Rick, but I don't think they really want to to leave here.

RJ: I'll tell you one thing -- Joe Crozier hasn't given up yet.  He still hasn't put Roger Crozier back in the net.  No goalkeeper in the Buffalo net.  It's Robert, Martin, Perreault, Terbenche, Lorentz, and Carriere out there.

On the face-off, it goes back to Peter Mahovlich.  He puts it right on Lorentz's stick!  Lorentz in over the blue line to Robert in the corner.  Trying to get it in front of the net.  Robert's got it behind the night again, trying to work it out in front!  Oh, and Dryden makes the save.  And the siren goes, the game is over.  And a standing ovation for Buffalo as the two times line up at centre ice to shake hands, now.  And the crowd just keeps on cheering.

ME: Shots on goal in the 3rd period, for Buffalo 16, for Montreal 4. 

RJ: And now, even Joe Crozier and Scotty Bowman are shaking hands.  And talking as they head off the ice

ME: Shots on goal for the game, for Buffalo 43, for Montreal 23.

RJ: And that's the way it ends up.  4-2 for the Montreal Canadiens over the Buffalo Sabres, eliminating the Sabres from any further competition.

ME: The Buffalo Sabres would like to thank you for your support and hope to see you back next season.

RJ: We'll be back in just a moment.  This is Sabres Hockey.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
text.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I'd loooove to hear that. It needs to be put online. That's uncharted territory for almost everyone.

I really hope in retirement that Cupcake and Rick put his lost calls out there. I think it was reported a while back that she's recorded virtually every game going way back.

• Like (+1) 2

I have a bad habit of analyzing things that should merely be enjoyed on the face of it. No duh that's SS.

But I'd lay even money Rick adlibbed the final three words based on the shouts. It would apropros, no? He punctuated the moment with just the right words. He's had some practice.

• Like (+1) 5

• spndnchz unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.