GDT Nashville Predators @ Buffalo Sabres - Rick Jeanneret Banner Ceremony 6:30

SwampD

7 minutes ago, elijah said:

Also to add to this a little bit, I’m relatively young (23) and wasn’t a big Sabres fan for most of my life. I paid attention the best a 7 and 8 year old could in 05-06 & 06-07, and loved the team from 09-12 because of chel the video game. 

As a die hard Bills fan (and diehard sports fan in general) and Buffalo resident, I decided around ‘17 that there was no reason I should be a diehard Bills fan and not support my other local team. I jumped from one drought that ended, to the middle of the next one. I like to claim I’m rather smart with the X’s and O’s of football, but still know jack s**t about hockey even though I’ve been watching the Sabres rather religiously for close to 5 years now. I look to this board for insight and knowledge to learn the game and the team. 

This game was the first time I’ve been to a sellout arena, and the first win I’ve witnessed in person out of about 10-15 that I’ve attended. 

I wasn’t sure how much money I wanted to spend on the game earlier in the week when the tickets seemed high, and they only went up from there. At the point I bought the tickets there were only 5 available left on Ticketmaster around 4:00 today.  My girlfriend found some in the 100 level, 104, right next to the Sabres tunnel and bench for a decent bargain — though still a pretty penny.

My god can I say it was worth every penny. I thought I paid attention enough the last 5 years to be a diehard fan on the level that I am a Bills fan, but this really sealed it. The environment was electric, and honestly comparable to ‘The Perfect Game’ against New England in the playoffs as a Bills fan. Even not quite the live or die Sabres fan, I still knew what RJ meant to the team and that only escalated the emotions. Just being a ‘casual’ fan for most of my life, knowing the big moments but not quite embracing them, the tributes still almost brought tears to my eyes. 

The organization really pulled off this night perfectly and the team just added on by showing continued improvement and hope for next year. This night really got me and I’m certainly tied to them with the same commitment I am to the Bills forever now. The arena was something to behold tonight and I’m very happy I was there. 

Welcome back!

• Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, elijah said:

Watching the game in person, this was one of my biggest takeaways from the night. Nothing too hockey related, no spectacular input on anything — but about halfway through the second I turned to my girlfriend and pointed out that every second Krebs is on the ice, no matter what’s happening, the kid is playing and skating with a smile on his face 

I think Krebs is going to be a special player... maybe Tim Connolly (before he had his concussion problems) kind of ceiling.  You may not know who that is, @elijah, but he was a Sabre from 2001-2011 and oh by the way grew up on the same street as Alex Tuch (there was a pic floating around right after the trade showing NHLer Connolly with a bunch of the neighborhood kids, one of which is Tuch).  Anyway, he was a good player for the Sabres for a while, and could be dazzling with the puck.

What impresses me about Krebs is just how hard he skates on the backcheck.  He has good vision on offense and I think will be a great setup man, but right now he is tenacious on the backcheck.  As soon as the Sabres lose the puck in the offensive zone he makes it his mission to be the first Sabre to the puck carrier and take it away.  That's something a lot of young offensive players take a while to learn but he seems to do that naturally.

• Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It was momentary but intense and made the point then Terry was applauded for his remarks. Rick's night wasn't marred.

The fans were spot on. My God what a thing of beauty. The smallest plays were saluted. The wave was awesome then smartly put away for crunch time. We want 4 was textbook... we want 5 after going up a goal? No traction. Textbook.

Nothing went wrong. The Sabres staff hit a home run that sailed out of the building, flew over the baseball field and landed by that car museum.

I talk about the crest on the front and not the names on the back. I've tended over the years to keep the players at arm's length. But I will love every one of them by name for the gift they gave me, the fans and most of all, Rick.

I work with the elderly. Their treatment of Rick on the ice touched me profoundly.

It might be a while before that beautiful noise has a lullabye effect on me.

A great summary of the night.

35 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

What impresses me about Krebs is just how hard he skates on the backcheck.  He has good vision on offense and I think will be a great setup man, but right now he is tenacious on the backcheck.  As soon as the Sabres lose the puck in the offensive zone he makes it his mission to be the first Sabre to the puck carrier and take it away.  That's something a lot of young offensive players take a while to learn but he seems to do that naturally.

What also impresses me about Krebs is his passion and enthusiasm. A genuine love for the competition shows through already. We have several players now with the right attitude and it's rubbing off on the rest of them. You can see the comradery growing and the team bonds forming. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

JJ and Quinn centered by Mitts?  That could be something.

Crazy to think that would be like our 3rd line! Future is bright for sure and we can see the results of GMKA's reconstruction. So glad he cleared house and seems to be doing this the right way with character players. Great win for RJ!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

I’ll read through this thread later. For now, I just want to say that I was on the road and at a college’s ‘accepted students’ reception until the end of the 2nd. I watched the 3rd on my phone - first at the hotel bar and then in my room. By the time the horn sounded and Rick was behind the bench, I was in tears. I could feel so much - just through that little HD screen. So beautiful. Thank you, Sabres. Thank you, Rick.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What also impresses me about Krebs is his passion and enthusiasm. A genuine love for the competition shows through already. We have several players now with the right attitude and it's rubbing off on the rest of them. You can see the comradery growing and the team bonds forming. 

Was just thinking this. When the camera showed his face before a restart in the 3rd - I saw intensity, passion, joy.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’ll read through this thread later. For now, I just want to say that I was on the road and at a college’s ‘accepted students’ reception until the end of the 2nd. I watched the 3rd on my phone - first at the hotel bar and then in my room. By the time the horn sounded and Rick was behind the bench, I was in tears. I could feel so much - just through that little HD screen. So beautiful. Thank you, Sabres. Thank you, Rick.

Was just thinking this. When the camera showed his face before a restart in the 3rd - I saw intensity, passion, joy.

KA should wear the game tape down to a nub to look for stuff like that. But... See also Muel. What an interesting old soul. For the team pic he was off to the side and not smiling. I KNOW he has the heart of a lion. #chemistry

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Boy, that stop by Anderson at 4.2 seconds was somethin'. It was a heck of a shot and redirect.

The ancient Buffalo sports voice in my head tried to tell me Nash was gonna tie. I pushed it back. Very late there was a long rebound to the right side and Anderson wasn't over yet. The puck hopped over the Pred's stick. It was meant to be.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, jsb said:

Mitts should have had 4 assists in that game if Asplund and Tuch could have converted both or their open looks.

You make a good observation. While Mitts has turned into a grinding two-way player, he hasn't lost his offensive instincts. I never would have thought that he would become one of our better wall battlers on this team. Players evolve and develop. Patience is a necessity. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make a good observation. While Mitts has turned into a grinding two-way player, he hasn't lost his offensive instincts. I never would have thought that he would become one of our better wall battlers on this team. Players evolve and develop. Patience is a necessity. 

I saw this especially in the Minnesota game.

For all the jokes about his 0 pull-up performance as a rookie, he has the body frame to be a physically strong player.  Get him on the Tage workout this off season (add strength and keep speed) and look out because he does have some nice hands and good skills.  

Mitts, Cozens, Krebs all have another level or two.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Does anyone not feel the shift in this team?   Most Sabrespacer’s see it and feel.  Many of the random fans in Buffalo are not really aware of it.  Until maybe yesterday?   

The Sabres played really good hockey in March and I expect they will continue to all the way to the final game.  I’m hoping more fans come out to see them.  This could be RJ’s last big contribution, bringing the fans back.   The Sabres showed up big for him and the fans hopefully got to see that this team is fun, likable, and hard working.  

I don't want to look back too much at our extended period of descent. It isn't always fruitful to dwell on the past. The attention should be more focused on the future and potential. But looking back for almost a decade it isn't unfair to view this organization as one of the least entertaining and one of the more insignificant/inconsequential franchises in the league. That hasn't angered me as much as it saddened me. The interminable rebuilding years and the soul crushing Krueger era obliterated interest in this franchise. The empty and quiet arenas reflected that reality. 

The Sabres are still a couple to few years away from being a SC contender. But at least now the spirited play on the ice demonstrates that the upward trajectory of the team is not an illusion. Things are starting to come together. We have the right coach and the organization has the right plan to follow. Last night was a glorious event that signaled that what is happening now is separate from the ignominious past. How can one not be energized? 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I saw this especially in the Minnesota game.

For all the jokes about his 0 pull-up performance as a rookie, he has the body frame to be a physically strong player.  Get him on the Tage workout this off season (add strength and keep speed) and look out because he does have some nice hands and good skills.  

Mitts, Cozens, Krebs all have another level or two.  

If you look at our young players such as Tage, Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens and Krebs (players you listed) you can see post teenage players becoming men from a physical standpoint. Without question the rigorous workout regime is a big factor. But a big part of that development is the time required to physically mature. You can tell that Cozens and Dahlin have put in a lot of work in the offseason. These young fellows are going to get better as they get older. Our young core has recently expanded. As they grow this team will get better. This is certainly not a team/roster that is close to peaking. The trajectory is still pointing up. That's what is so exciting about how well the team has been playing because you can see a glimpse of the near future.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.