What has caused the most improvement in the team lately?

RangerDave

What has caused the most improvement?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. The Sabres have been playing much more entertaining, and successful, hockey lately. What do you think has caused the most improvement in the team these last few months? Most likely it is a bit of all of these choices, but what do you think has brought the most?

• The addition of certain players this year
    • The deletion of certain players this year
    • Maturation of players already on the team
    • Coaching at all levels
    • Team cohesiveness
    • Other (describe)

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've become semi-convinced that Zemgus' return is a low-key important factor in the Sabres' improved play.  That 4th line with him, Eakin and KO is pretty effective, and Zemgus is substantially better with the puck and on the forecheck than Bjork or Hayden (or Eakin for that matter).

Without a doubt.  Eakin had his moments without Girgs, but that line can actually create sustained offensive zone pressure against the other teams top lines with him in the line-up.  I really hope he can stay healthy going forward.

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No pressure. Loose as a goose. Underestimated by opponents.

That'll be my default position until I see it in the fall.

I have no problem with this take.

Tonight, though, our opponent is playing for something, so a win would be telling.

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

These things are all true.

What is also true is that the past three years they were also true and we lost anyway.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I believe it is the freedom to play without the pressure of the playoff race. They haven't played well with any consistency until this latest stretch of games, and while they are learning to be a cohesive unit on and off the ice together, they are doing so with no pressure on them, making it fun to play hockey imho.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Next season is good, but I do want to see this early April stretch and if Buffalo can keep playing well. These are motivated teams, Buffalo or not:

1 vs NSH -- looking to stay in the #3 seed and out of any potential opening round matchup w/ COL.

2 vs FLA -- the last time they played, FLA spanked the Sabres 6-1. Backup goalies or not, how do the rematches look against the best in the division? 

2 vs CAR -- the best in the Metro division, looking to essentially lock up the #1 seed during the home-and-home with the Sabres.

1 vs TB -- in a 3-way fight with TOR/BOS to avoid the #4 seed and going to FLA in the 1st round.

1 vs TOR -- ditto, TB. With the added incentive of being bashed by the Sabres 10-3 in the last two meetings. How do the Leafs respond?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

These things are all true.

What is also true is that the past three years they were also true and we lost anyway.

Logic is good. But the best comparison is to this (very close to exact) team from just a few months. They be "coming together." It might be something else.

I fully except the Sabres to look better in the standings next year. To expect this level of play is another thing.

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Logic is good. But the best comparison is to this (very close to exact) team from just a few months. They be "coming together." It might be something else.

I fully except the Sabres to look better in the standings next year. To expect this level of play is another thing.

A lot of pundits were saying that the Sabres were going to finish last in the division before the season started. Then again, some of them also said with certainty that the Pens were going to miss the playoffs as well.

There’s no bread. Let them eat crow!

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I think most would have to agree the current .700+ level of play is highly unlikely.

What is more pertinent is what is closer to the truth: the 13/21/7 team from the first half, or the 11/12/3 since?

Have they improved because the young players have gotten better, the damaged players have gotten healthy and the coaching has sunk in, which is sustainable?

Or is it because of being loose and taken for granted?

By watching them, I'd say the former, and I do expect it to continue trending in a positive direction.

Which is not the same as being a "good" team next year.

Edited by dudacek

While the primary answer is coaching, it is also all of the above.  Granato's coaching has helped the younger guys develop and gain confidence, and has also created a culture of positivity and confidence that has been severely lacking for years.  Not only have younger players developed under Granato (Tage Thompson, Dahlin, Mittlestadt, etc.), but veteran players are also playing much better (Okposo, Skinner).  The team has had winning streaks in the past, but if things went south for a couple of games, the wheels came off and the team went into a downward spiral.  This season, after a bad loss (like in Edmonton last week), or even a series of bad games, the team is able to regroup and come back strong.

If they can get consistent NHL-level goaltending next year, and fill in a few holes with free agent veterans, this team should continue to rise.  Adding Quinn and Power (and potentially other young players) into the mix will also help.

• Like (+1) 1

These things take time, and there are ups and downs and ebbs and flows but imo this all started with Tuch lacing up his skates as a Sabre for the first time. I would call it the Tuch Effect. 

Said for years that we lacked leadership, Eichel was the wrong captain, Eichel was a crap captain, The "stars" were not leaders and the team simply wasn't a TEAM.

We now have players with a different attitude, multiple leader types, cohesion and desire. Don't kid yourself, there is a long way to go still, but they finally look and play like a team, and it's a foundational step forward. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.