What has caused the most improvement in the team lately?

RangerDave

What has caused the most improvement?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. The Sabres have been playing much more entertaining, and successful, hockey lately. What do you think has caused the most improvement in the team these last few months? Most likely it is a bit of all of these choices, but what do you think has brought the most?

• The addition of certain players this year
    • The deletion of certain players this year
    • Maturation of players already on the team
    • Coaching at all levels
    • Team cohesiveness
    • Other (describe)

Different approach by the coaches has lead directly to the development of the younger players.  So, coaching is the key to me.

Of course, young players have matured along the way.

There were two key additions that helped ... Hiney-Stroka and Anderson.

The fact that two key players that may have been part of the problem (I don't think Samson was, but he was disgruntled and I don't blame him) are gone had an impact too.

Like you suggested ... a bit of everything, but I agree with Liger that the change in coaching is key to the improvement.  Of course, the players have complete buy-in.

Other: health.   All the others are contributing factors and not to be diminished, but health is the key.

We saw a competitive team early in the season -- and that was with losing Mitts and Joker on opening night. But then Anderson got hurt, and Olofsson, and then Toker went out with COVID. And then a seemingly endless string of others went out for awhile, too. Hinostroka and Girgs. Tuch was acquired pre-injured to fit right in.

Tuch was a jolt in the arm. Once Anderson and Toker were both back in the fold, we started to see some poise return, but not the wins. VO's shot started to return, then Mitts and Hino and now Girgs and we're very nearly a full roster again. And lo and behold, competitive like early on in the season.

• Like (+1) 9

I put cohesion.  Goaltending has been much better though still pretty inconsistent.  Tokarski was having a really good month before chicago (where he was awful), and anderson has cooled off. 

The team is 23-23-8 in games not started by Dell and Subban.  While not a playoff record it's clear even marginal goaltending is a big step up for this group.  UPL clearly had some poor luck with 2 wins in 5 good starts - I think this was that stretch where everyone was hurt or sick with miller, bryson, hagg etc. all in and out of the lineup too.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Other: health.   All the others are contributing factors and not to be diminished, but health is the key.

We saw a competitive team early in the season -- and that was with losing Mitts and Joker on opening night. But then Anderson got hurt, and Olofsson, and then Toker went out with COVID. And then a seemingly endless string of others went out for awhile, too. Hinostroka and Girgs. Tuch was acquired pre-injured to fit right in.

Tuch was a jolt in the arm. Once Anderson and Toker were both back in the fold, we started to see some poise return, but not the wins. VO's shot started to return, then Mitts and Hino and now Girgs and we're very nearly a full roster again. And lo and behold, competitive like early on in the season.

John Hayden has played in 52 games for Buffalo this year.  Eakin has played in 62.  Bjork has played in 51.  Murray 19.  Jankowski 19.  Ethan prow even popped in for 4 games.  

There's plenty of space in the lineup for your quinns, jjp's, and free agents/trades.  In addition to literally like 50 starts at goalie.  

• Like (+1) 1

Certainly, it's a combination of things, but I think coaching tops the list.  Every so often, I catch Granato's Tuesday morning sessions on WGR and he has mentioned several times how they work individually with each player on different aspects of their games.  My interpretation of several related comments was that he expected their individual work to eventually translate to better overall team play--call it synergy or the "whole being greater than the sum of its parts" strategy.  Most of the comments I'm referring to I heard months ago, so it appears the coaching is paying off.

• Like (+1) 1

I picked Other.  It’s is not one thing but rather a combination of: 

1.  Coaching 

2.  Establishment of Team First Culture (including deletion of those players not buying in to it) 

3.  maturation and improvement of key players, especially Dahlin and Thompson 

4.  Some key additions: Tuch, Anderson, Krebs, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

Like most things it isn't all one thing, but a combination of things.

-Timing/luck.  Every team, including this Sabres team and previous Sabres teams, has hot streaks and cold streaks.  They are currently in a warm/hot streak.

-Dahlin.  He is playing like a top 20 D-man right now.  He may be personally responsible for moving the puck out of the Sabres own end 10 times a game were a replacement level player wouldn't.

-Getting injuried players back.  

Better health!  

Anderson returned on 2/13 and we are 7-6-1 in his starts

Tokar returned 2/10 and we are 3-3-2 in his starts

Tuch returned for good on 1/13 and we are 14-14-4

Girgensons returned on 3-17 and we are 4-1-2

Samuelsson returned a 1/17 and we are 13-12-4

Mitts returned on 2-19 and we are 8-8-2 and he has 2g 8a in those 18 games

VO returned but sat out on 2/23.  Since then he has 7g & 2a and the Sabres are 8-5-2.

Hino returned on 3/6 and the Sabres are 6-3-2

It's pretty clear that once this team got healthy they got so much better.  No Bjork, no Dell, no Subban, no Hayden, no Caggiula (IR), plus limited appearances of Butcher and Miller and the team improves.  No JAGs = Success.

• Like (+1) 2

As several posters have stated, there's multiple reasons.  I also think the coaching is the major factor as that's where the genesis of the other things come from.  So in saying that, I think KA should get a lot of credit.  He hired Donnie and has been consistent in his philosophy.  He said he'd find a developmental coach and let the young kids play.  That's exactly what he did/is doing. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No Bjork, no Dell, no Subban, no Hayden, no Caggiula (IR), plus limited appearances of Butcher and Miller and the team improves.  No JAGs = Success.

This is the number 1 reason. Also, I think we're letting a few of these guys off easy by calling them JAGs. 

Playing regular minutes and getting 6pts or less in more than 50 games is tragically bad (I'm looking at you Bjork and Hayden). If those two ever make it back into the lineup, we'll see a return to being a bottom 5 caliber team.

You can call a Murray, a Ruotsailanen, or a Cagiulia a JAG. Bjork, Hayden, and Eakin are just sewer water.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

I heard on WGR that our 5x5 goaltending during the good stretch has been top 3 in the league. That is it... I'm not sure much else has changed between shots/puck luck/scoring, but better goaltending seems like its been the difference, especially when you consider we're just forcing overtimes, not winning outright.

Still have a long way to go. Maybe we can win by two goals sometime!

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is the number 1 reason. Also, I think we're letting a few of these guys off easy by calling them JAGs. 

Playing regular minutes and getting 6pts or less in more than 50 games is tragically bad (I'm looking at you Bjork and Hayden). If those two ever make it back into the lineup, we'll see a return to being a bottom 5 caliber team.

You can call a Murray, a Ruotsailanen, or a Cagiulia a JAG. Bjork, Hayden, and Eakin just sewer water.

Agreed.  Those 3 on the ice was brutal - its like they were trying to play up a hill or something.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Better health!  

Girgensons returned on 3-17 and we are 4-1-2

This is why I picked Other as well.  Girgs is a key part of this team.  He could have slide in at any forward spot and made an impact while the Sabres were dealing with other player injuries.  Losing him  at the same time as other key forwards really hurt the Sabres this year.  I'm really hoping he has a healthy '22-23 season.

3 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This is why I picked Other as well.  Girgs is a key part of this team.  He could have slide in at any forward spot and made an impact while the Sabres were dealing with other player injuries.  Losing him  at the same time as other key forwards really hurt the Sabres this year.  I'm really hoping he has a healthy '22-23 season.

I've become semi-convinced that Zemgus' return is a low-key important factor in the Sabres' improved play.  That 4th line with him, Eakin and KO is pretty effective, and Zemgus is substantially better with the puck and on the forecheck than Bjork or Hayden (or Eakin for that matter).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.