GDT: 3/27/2022: Buffalo at NY Rangers: 5PM EST, MSG, MSG+, WGR

Billssabres33

3 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

We're gonna be in a much better place when we have Power on the ice, even with his inevitable growing pains, than Butcher soon. Right now guys like Butcher, Eakin and Bjork serve a purpose. They should be passed over for better players next season.

Speaking of, UM on ESPN2 right now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This thread tells me how far this team has come.

3 months ago most people would have turned the game off after those two quick early goals.

Now people are expecting wins regardless of competition. Great to see.

Granato has these guys believing that they can battle back and win regardless of the situation.

Finish strong. Add a legit starter, add Power, add Quinn, add a vet RHD and next year suddenly becomes very interesting.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

Colorado and Florida may be the only two teams where you can tell they are way more talented than Buffalo. Once add 5 more players to this team next year, there will be no more excuses not to make playoffs.

A lot will depend on who we end up with in net next year. I liked what I saw out of UPL in his limited time this year. I think he belongs, but staying healthy has been an issue for him. We will obviously need to add a steady vet to the mix. I love what Anderson has done this year, but he's 40. It's very risky gambling that he can be steady again next season and there is going to be a lot of competition on the market for a goaltender.

And we will surely still be quite young next year. I'm assuming Quinn & Peterka are a part of the plan, but they have 3 games of NHL experience between them so far. I anticipate more growing plains next year, but if a few breaks go our way, a wildcard isn't out of the question. I'm just gonna temper my expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have tickets for the game in Chicago. But "JetBlew" moved my fight to 5am. I would have to wake up at 2:45 to make that. Ugggh. Anyone in Chicagoland want two free tickets?

Wake up at 245 and go.   Come on Promo.  

• Like (+1) 2

That was a pretty darn good hockey game.

That Adam Fox spotlight cam was beyond stupid. Even my Ranger fan friends were annoyed by it.

I thought the Sabres were a little reckless in the OT and it bit them.

I soooooo want this to be the hockey we get to see in October. Man, is it a joy to watch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres have gotten points in five consecutive games. That in itself is progress and something to be happy about. And within the same season it seems that this team has recently made noticeable strides. It's certainly not a fluke due to a favorable schedule. We are keeping up with some of the better teams in the league both at home and on the road. 

As @dudacekhas often noted Dahlin is consistently playing like one of the best defensemen in the league. He makes plays that most blueliners in the league aren't capable of making, and he seems to do it with ease. He's a special player and a joy to watch. He's been good all season long but it seems that after his all-star appearance he has raised his performance to another level. 

Right now Samuelsson is our second best blueliner. He's consistently good. His pass to Asplund for his rare score was exceptional. Power will be a much needed addition to the defensive corps when he joins the team. 

It seems to me that Tuch's play has dropped. He's not playing poorly but he's not the same player that he was a number of games ago. Maybe other teams are giving the top line more attention? I thought that Tage and Tuch were below par in this game.  

Okposo has been our most consistent player this season. 

Skinner was at fault for the too many players on the ice. It was an atypical lazy play for him.

This Granato coached team exhibits a lot of character. This is not a weak-minded team that can't handle adversity. When they are behind they keep playing their game. 

I strongly believe that if the front office smartly handles the offseason and with the addition of some of our top prospects this team should be battling for a playoff spot next season. It would be a challenge to do but it is doable. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This thread tells me how far this team has come.

3 months ago most people would have turned the game off after those two quick early goals.

Now people are expecting wins regardless of competition. Great to see.

Granato has these guys believing that they can battle back and win regardless of the situation.

Finish strong. Add a legit starter, add Power, add Quinn, add a vet RHD and next year suddenly becomes very interesting.

Adding a legit starting goaltender, banking on Power and Quinn to be above average NHL starters in years 1 and 1.5 and another RHD is no small task.  As will be expecting the other youngish types (Mittelstadt, Krebs, Cozens) to improve is a lot to need to go right.

It's an encouraging March regardless.   

I’ve seen Mitts get crapped on from time to time this month in GDTs. Not buying that.

He hasn’t been perfect, and I think he’s got more to give still, but he’s been rounding into form. Looks much stronger holding the puck and moving it in confined spaces and he looks comfortable with the pace of NHL play again.

His 2ndary assist on the Asplund goal was nice play to find the puck, then walk the line, and Friday’s feed to Victor was a thing of beauty.

He’s also quietly leading the team with 6 assists in March, and is just 1 behind Skinner and Tage with 8 points.

I think a major component of the recent surge is the depth we’ve developed up front now that we’re getting healthy and he has been a significant part of that change.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 8

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres have gotten points in five consecutive games. That in itself is progress and something to be happy about. And within the same season it seems that this team has recently made noticeable strides. It's certainly not a fluke due to a favorable schedule. We are keeping up with some of the better teams in the league both at home and on the road. 

As @dudacekhas often noted Dahlin is consistently playing like one of the best defensemen in the league. He makes plays that most blueliners in the league aren't capable of making, and he seems to do it with ease. He's a special player and a joy to watch. He's been good all season long but it seems that after his all-star appearance he has raised his performance to another level. 

Right now Samuelsson is our second best blueliner. He's consistently good. His pass to Asplund for his rare score was exceptional. Power will be a much needed addition to the defensive corps when he joins the team. 

It seems to me that Tuch's play has dropped. He's not playing poorly but he's not the same player that he was a number of games ago. Maybe other teams are giving the top line more attention? I thought that Tage and Tuch were below par in this game.  

Okposo has been our most consistent player this season. 

Skinner was at fault for the too many players on the ice. It was an atypical lazy play for him.

This Granato coached team exhibits a lot of character. This is not a weak-minded team that can't handle adversity. When they are behind they keep playing their game. 

I strongly believe that if the front office smartly handles the offseason and with the addition of some of our top prospects this team should be battling for a playoff spot next season. It would be a challenge to do but it is doable. 

Good post but in the NHL you get a point for losing a game

Didnt get to watch game... msg sucks balls... that being said based on comments Sabres compete awesome, but mistakes part of learning process and almost glad two OT losses in a row... they still have a way to go... and work to do... hope the boys keep playing hard, learn how to vary styles based on what other teams are doing to them... this is the year to make mistakes, work hard to overcome them and if they fail, fail valiantly.. not for lack of effort.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’ve seen Mitts get crapped on from time to time this month in GDTs. Not buying that.

He hasn’t been perfect, and I think he’s got more to give still, but he’s been rounding into form. Looks much stronger holding the puck and moving it in confined spaces and he looks comfortable with the pace of NHL play again.

His 2ndary assist on the Asplund goal was nice play to find the puck, then walk the line, and Friday’s feed to Victor was a thing of beauty.

He’s also quietly leading the team with 6 assists in March, and is just 1 behind Skinner and Tage with 8 points.

I think a major component of the recent surge is the depth we’ve developed up front now that we’re getting healthy and he has been a significant part of that change.

Casey has been making plays I don’t think many other guys on this roster are capable of.  That pass to Victor was ridiculous. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Good post but in the NHL you get a point for losing a game

There is another way at looking at this OT issue and how it is scored/rewarded and interpreted. On the positive side you finished with a tie in regulation. And then the second act follows where you lose. What it comes down to is that you get a point for the tie, and the winning team gets the extra point for the win in the post regulation time. 

I'm aware that a lot of the traditionalists are upset with the OT and shoot out scoring. I'm not one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is another way at looking at this OT issue and how it is scored/rewarded and interpreted. On the positive side you finished with a tie in regulation. And then the second act follows where you lose. What it comes down to is that you get a point for the tie, and the winning team gets the extra point for the win in the post regulation time. 

I'm aware that a lot of the traditionalists are upset with the OT and shoot out scoring. I'm not one of them. 

yeah, I'm a grumpy old man. Also don't like 3 on3...that's not hockey....but like I said, I'm old

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They close Logan down at 10pm. You can go in there but nothing's open.

Go to Logan at 9 PM and then sleep on the plastic chairs. What's the problem? Can't you overcome some adversity and discomfort? Think positively! You will be the first in line to check in for your flight. 🛌Good Morning Coffee GIF by 大姚Dayao

My observations of the game:

1. Thompson, Olofsson and Anderson had some of their worst games of the year. Thompson was a turnover machine, Olofsson was invisible and Anderson probably on most days makes the save on a couple of those goals.
  2. Couldn't agree more with 2 of our posters, Mitts makes plays that go under the radar that very few else can make, the 2 secondary assists yesterday were perfect examples of such
  3. It was very obvious to me especially yesterday that some of our issues with looking disjointed was caused by Butcher, Fitzgerald and Joker taking forever to get the puck up the ice. The Rangers were able to setup their defense and cause chaos because of it. 
  4. Okposo not only apparently leads in the locker room but no doubt leads with his play, that goal was nothing short of awesome and will power
  5. Butcher needed to shampoo his hair really well after the game because he had his head up his @ss on Panarin's goal, nice shot on his goal though
  6. +/- can be such a misleading stat. Dahlin was -3 yesterday. Like it was his fault that Thompson coughs up 2 goals by falling down and that misguided pass in OT. The 2nd goal of the game was a well played play by Dahlin on the 2 on 1 but the turnover and in my view Anderson's misplay of the shot became his problem?? Sometimes the eye test is best. 
  7. It seems like the common view is Quinn will eventually replace Hinostroza in the lineup, I'm beginning to wonder if he sticks and Olofsson loses his spot. His play can be very inconsistent at best even considering his injury may have held him back earlier this year.
  8. Does Asplund replace Eakin as Okposo's and Girgensons C next year??
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Colorado and Florida may be the only two teams where you can tell they are way more talented than Buffalo. Once add 5 more players to this team next year, there will be no more excuses not to make playoffs.

Even with an infusion of talent next year Carolina, Tampa, Pittsburgh, healthy Vegas and Rangers will still be ahead of us in the talent pecking order. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.