GDT: 3/25/2022: Washington at Buffalo 7:00PM ET MSG-B WGR

Doohickie

5 hours ago, SDS said:

How can we still be having this skinner conversation in shoot outs? The guy has been historically awful at them. We’ve talked about this for years. There’s a reason why he doesn’t go out there.

Didn't know he was that bad...the best I've ever seen in the shootout was Ales Kotalik...dude has the forehand, backhand roof job similar to what Ovechkin did tonight except he did the same move every time and even tho everyone knew it was coming it was almost unstoppable.

Surprisingly, Kotalik is only 18th best in NHL history based on shooting percentage...in fact we might have a better player right now in Tage Thompson who ranks 3rd all time in shootout goals.

Skinner is awful, ranking 387 out of like 419 players with a minimum of 10 attempts. In fact Ovechkin isn't that great either, ranking 200th.

https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/shootout/best-shootout-scoring-percentage-career

https://youtu.be/JUaIyNyM1as

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

Great game. Both Casey and Victor with the game on their stick. Can't ask for more than that. The refs were not going to call anything on Wash. Not sure I even care or if it would have made a difference. They certainly weren't going to fall for Skinner getting "tackled" and then not letting go. That crew was on to him.

I soooooo want this to be the hockey we get to see in October. Man, is it a joy to watch.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Didn't know he was that bad...the best I've ever seen in the shootout was Ales Kotalik...dude has the forehand, backhand roof job similar to what Ovechkin did tonight except he did the same move every time and even tho everyone knew it was coming it was almost unstoppable.

Surprisingly, Kotalik is only 18th best in NHL history based on shooting percentage...in fact we might have a better player right now in Tage Thompson who ranks 3rd all time in shootout goals.

Skinner is awful, ranking 387 out of like 419 players with a minimum of 10 attempts. In fact Ovechkin isn't that great either, ranking 200th.

https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/shootout/best-shootout-scoring-percentage-career

https://youtu.be/JUaIyNyM1as

I was thinking of Kotalik as well when we went to the shootout last night. (Caught the last few minutes of the game on SXM.) IIRC, he had a habit of taking bad penalties at the worst of times in regulation, but he was always lethal on shootouts.

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Or a slapper...sometimes he just wound up and blew the puck by the goalie who never even moved

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

I think his SO slap shot is his signature move. At least that’s the one I remember him by.

Of course, I'm disappointed in not getting the win. However, @SwampD has a perfectly pitched response/sensation about this game that I have, and suspect most of us have. The Sabres were a little raggedy in this game compared to the previous games but that had a lot to do with the quality of the opposition. We matched them in effort and opportunities. The missed shot by Olofsson at the end when the net was open was excruciating. But let's not forget that the Capitals also missed on some golden opportunities. 

If I were handling out starts to our side I would give the first star to Skinner. He got two goals and would have had one or two more goals if it weren't for the exceptional stops of the opposition's goalie. My second star would have gone to Tokarski. Although he was brutal in the SO he kept us in the game. 

I'm a coach Granato fan. If anyone wants to get a good perspective on this game and his team watch his postgame comments. He knows where his team is at and where it is going. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Can someone please post a link to coach's comments.  Thanks.

Never u mind ...

I have said it very recently ... I love this guy.  He is a great coach and he really gets it.  The players love him and are really playing hard for him and themselves.  It's great.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.