A Knights Tale: From Sabre to Knight; one man’s failure to make the playoffs AND how it benefits the Sabres draft position

Crusader1969

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

A tip of the hat to everyone here who provided all of the negative energy necessary to get this over the finish line the last couple months. 

Your pettiness, your spite, your disdain have all contributed ti making the Sabres better. 

Job well done!

I boastfully accept this award on behalf of all Sabrespacers.  Suck it, Jack.

i dont like you lucille ball GIF

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Bove is just grinnin' like a villain.  And Ashley piling on at the end 😄

It's getting ugly out there for him on social media.

I actually feel kind of badly because he only bears a smidgen of the responsibility compare to the LVGK management, but he is getting the vast majority of the blame.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I actually feel kind of badly because he only bears a smidgen of the responsibility compare to the LVGK management, but he is getting the vast majority of the blame.

I don't feel bad for anyone pulling in $10M a year.  F*&% him.

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I didn’t care about Eichel until he opened his mouth after the Buffalo game. Before that I was mad at VGK ownership for so blatantly circumventing the cap in a fashion only a Tax Attorney could approve of.

Eichel and VGK management brought it on themselves. 

I’m also admittedly still bitter about them trading MAF and the circumstances surrounding it. Before Vegas even played their first game I bought a Golden Knights t-shirt because MAF is my favorite active goalie in the league. He’s hilarious and makes unnecessarily over-the-top saves reminiscent of Hasek. Not to mention he’s considered a genuinely good dude by pretty much the whole league.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

I didn’t care about Eichel until he opened his mouth after the Buffalo game. Before that I was mad at VGK ownership for so blatantly circumventing the cap in a fashion only a Tax Attorney could approve of.

Eichel and VGK management brought it on themselves. 

I’m also admittedly still bitter about them trading MAF and the circumstances surrounding it. Before Vegas even played their first game I bought a Golden Knights t-shirt because MAF is my favorite active goalie in the league. He’s hilarious and makes unnecessarily over-the-top saves reminiscent of Hasek. Not to mention he’s considered a genuinely good dude by pretty much the whole league.

Don't worry about Fleury.... He'll be pullin' down $10M the next couple of seasons for the Sabres.  Gotta hit that cap floor somehow.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

When you act like an ass you get the most crap.  Had he had even a SMIDGEN of class the crap level would be much less.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's so funny too because when he started with Vegas there were all these interviews and talks about what would it be like to be in the playoffs finally and how would Jack do in the playoffs, like it was a done deal. And at the time they were competing for top spot I think . What a crash and burn. 

It's kinda ridiculous to think that a player missing a year of hockey, having a risky neck surgery was expected to be the savior of a team, joining them after the new year. He played mostly well and then hit a wall the last bunch of games, not totally unexpected. The team was inconsistent before he suited up, and not much changed after. Lot of key injuries all season.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Contempt said:

When you act like an ass you get the most crap.  Had he had even a SMIDGEN of class the crap level would be much less.

He made one wise ass comment and the thin skinned, ever suffering Buffalonian's will never get over it.  Buffalo still upset over blizzard of 77 jokes.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, klos1963 said:

He made one wise ass comment and the thin skinned, ever suffering Buffalonian's will never get over it.  Buffalo still upset over blizzard of 77 jokes.

He made one wise ass comment, after a loss, after forcing his way out of a town that did nothing but kiss his ass. It's bit more than one thing. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

He made one wise ass comment, after a loss, after forcing his way out of a town that did nothing but kiss his ass. It's bit more than one thing. 

So it's 2 things. You're feelings were hurt. I get it, but jesus, get over it. I'm glad we get a better draft pick, but people need to grow up.

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Nah.  He makes a living on wise ass comments.  People who know him will tell you that.  

Just now, klos1963 said:

So it's 2 things. You're feelings were hurt. I get it, but jesus, get over it. I'm glad we get a better draft pick, but people need to grow up.

He went from getting booed for one night, which would have happened virtually anywhere, to ensuring that he will get booed every time he comes back into the building forever.  There aren't that many players who have gotten that honor. Even in Buffalo, land of the think skinned juveniles. That's like Stephane Richer territory.

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

fair enough, but I honestly didn't really ever read any negative comments about Eichel until this whole situation took place.  It's amazing how many people quietly hated him before.

I think of it this way:  He's always been a jerk.  But when he played for the Sabres he was our jerk, dammit, and don't you forget it.  Now that he's in Vegas, he's just another jerk.

I think I criticized him early on in terms of giving a lousy interview, rolling his eyes, stuff like that, but Sabrespace didn't like that.  I wished Jack well because I wanted the Sabres to do well.  Now that he's gone, I am no longer obligated to wish him well.

And as I've said several times lately:  There are several Jack Eichels.  There's Jack the person, Jack the on-ice performer, Jack the bearer of the Tank Curse.  Jack the $10M cap hit.  To me Jack the person was always a Masshole.  Jack the performer was inconsistent:  capable of elite play when he felt like it.  Jack the bearer of the Tank Curse- that's probably the least fair thing; he was drafted by a dysfunctional team and they brought in several dysfunctional players that tainted his work ethic and splintered the locker room.  But he's a product of that environment. 

Two GMs didn't know what to do with him, how to build a proper team around him.  That tainted him.  The third didn't either but made the decision to ship him out which now that the bandaid has been ripped off was clearly the correct move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well, at last Jack can go into the offseason secure in the knowledge that he did everything he could, strapping that Knights team on his back with a valiant six game run where he put up...

*checks notes*

...zero goals, 1 assist...

*shuffles papers*

ONE point? In six games? One Goddamn point? And he was a minus 5? Ah, the hell with it...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.