Jacob Bryson appreciation and defensive skill

LGR4GM

Just now, French Collection said:

He and Fitz may battle for that spot next year.

I still want them to find a RHD for Dahlin and/or Power.

I'll respectfully disagree. Jacob is much more mobile and is better offensively.  He is definitely ahead of Fitz on the depth chart now that he is showing he can be very effective on his off-side.  Bryson is going to be the utility D, who plays both side depending on injury.

Fitzgerald is going to end up in the Rory Fitzpatrick role of 7th D who ends up playing 55-60 games as an injury fill in.  

• Like (+1) 1

I could easily see the 5/6/7 Dmen being Pysyk, Fitzy and Bryson (in no particular order).... but that's not to say they will always be playing on the third pairing.  I can see Bryson playing on the 1st or 2nd pairing, Fitz on the 2nd/3rd pairing, and Pysyk wherever he's needed.  If one of those three guys is going to be upgraded, I would want it to be Pysyk.  I think Fitzgerald and Bryson are still climbing up to their ceilings.

As far as Bryson in particular, I know he's a little smaller, but when he brings the puck up ice I see Brian Campbell.  He moves like Brian and accelerates like Brian (in his prime).

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder who appreciated Bryson months, maybe even a year ago and was then told he was trash? Some of you are way too influenced by a little hot streak of winning. Jacob to be appreciated last crummy March as well.

Who said he was trash?  He had some rough games earlier this year and was benched, but if you read the article above he learned a great deal from watching the game from pressbox.  Since he has returned he has played excellently.  He showed flashes of this last year.  His metrics last year if I remember correctly were very good.

I don't necessarily dislike Bryson or Fitzgerald but what this team needs is a guy who specializes on the PK and won't get bullied by a bigger, stronger forward. As for finding a mate for Power, after watching the evolution of Dahlin, we need him to be paired with a vet who can not only mentor him and get respect from him but whatever flaws he has in his game from inexperience can be hidden by a vet who can read the game and control play. He doesn't need to be a star but someone who is not just a one trick pony. 

This is important IMO because until we have a 1A GK, having a good defensive backend is a must.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jsb said:

I don't necessarily dislike Bryson or Fitzgerald but what this team needs is a guy who specializes on the PK and won't get bullied by a bigger, stronger forward. As for finding a mate for Power, after watching the evolution of Dahlin, we need him to be paired with a vet who can not only mentor him and get respect from him but whatever flaws he has in his game from inexperience can be hidden by a vet who can read the game and control play. He doesn't need to be a star but someone who is not just a one trick pony. 

This is important IMO because until we have a 1A GK, having a good defensive backend is a must.

I'd rather have him as a depth player, which is important and then add someone even better. 

But, it would not shock me if he turned into a really decent player. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I wonder who appreciated Bryson months, maybe even a year ago and was then told he was trash? Some of you are way too influenced by a little hot streak of winning. Jacob to be appreciated last crummy March as well.

Not many.  He is looking good lately though. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I've always liked him.  But also, you can't compare him to, say, last March's Jacob Bryson.  That whole team was just getting over Krueger and the younger players in general were on a wicked learning curve.

I’ve had my concerns about his size and I still do.  Until I see how he plays in a playoff series I will continue to have those concerns.  Playoffs are another game.  

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

He’d make a great return for some team looking to move a vet RD that can mentor Power.

You know, a hockey trade.

Yes.  

• 4 months later...

I think Bryson - Lyubushkin would be a decent pairing next year. It'd allow Bryson to jump into the play while Lyubushkin could stay back. The alternative would be Bryson - Jokiharju (as Power would be with Lyubushkin and Dahlin with Samuelsson) which sounds not so good. Power - Jokiharju and Bryson - Lyubushkin would be my preference.

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

Bryson just isn’t that good.  He can skate the puck out of/into the zone, but not much else.  He is well below average at most other aspects of the  game.

He is a 6/7/8th defenseman, and that’s ok.

Where you designate him at is where he should be, and probably will be. I'm also fine with that role. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Bryson just isn’t that good.  He can skate the puck out of/into the zone, but not much else.  He is well below average at most other aspects of the  game.

He is a 6/7/8th defenseman, and that’s ok.

I vote 5/6/7. He has high compete, speed, and an edge to go along with the great skating skills which are becoming the norm for modern NHL and so awesome to watch.  Fancy stats zzzzzzz.  A little bit like Alex BIega but better in all aspects. Blue chip, no. Solid, yes.

Bryson's fine as a 7/8, which means he'll play a bunch over the course of a season. He's got the wheels for transition, and when he plays against speed he looks solid (he deftly defused a McDavid rush 1-on-1). But he gets overpowered when NHL-caliber forwards take it to the net. He's still only 24 so if he can bulk up a bit to ward off net-drives and hold up a bit more along the wall, he'll have a chance to be a Biega or Ruhwedel and be a career 7/8/AHL guy. That's not a bad gig.

But what it also means is... why isn't Ryan Johnson signing? No matter where he signs he's going to play half a season in the AHL on an ELC first. But one of the best opportunities in the league to break into the NHL lineup is right here, especially with Dahlin on the right side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Bryson's fine as a 7/8, which means he'll play a bunch over the course of a season. He's got the wheels for transition, and when he plays against speed he looks solid (he deftly defused a McDavid rush 1-on-1). But he gets overpowered when NHL-caliber forwards take it to the net. He's still only 24 so if he can bulk up a bit to ward off net-drives and hold up a bit more along the wall, he'll have a chance to be a Biega or Ruhwedel and be a career 7/8/AHL guy. That's not a bad gig.

But what it also means is... why isn't Ryan Johnson signing? No matter where he signs he's going to play half a season in the AHL on an ELC first. But one of the best opportunities in the league to break into the NHL lineup is right here, especially with Dahlin on the right side.

I agree, Bryson is a 7/8 fringe guy.   Good guy to have in the organization, however not a guy you want to pencil in to the starting lineup if you plan on contending.

That said, Ryan Johnson is a decent B level prospect.   He skates well, but backs down from physical play and his offensive instincts leave something to be desired. 

I won't bat an eyelash if Ryan leaves via FA next summer...  getting a second round pick as compensation would be a fair deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.