Tage Extension—What Will It Take?

Porous Five Hole

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

LOL if I told this board one year ago we would have a thread dedicated to how much will it take to lock up Tage Thompson long term people’s heads might have exploded.😁

Or if a poster had said s/he saw the future and Tage would become a legit 1C? That person would’ve been banned. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How does front loading help with that? Are you concerned the Pegulas won't pay real cash or are you trying to manipulate the cap?

9 hours ago, Curt said:

Front loading, back loading, or paying some as bonuses.  None of it changes the cap hit.  Cap hit is always the total money payed divided by the number of years.  It remains constant each year of the contract.

My mistake...I was hoping that a new TT contract could emphasize more money during the early years to consume more cap space while we still presumably have room.  Looking ahead a few years, we would have to address another Dahlin contract plus any of our younger players whose rookie contracts would expire.  If that's not how the cap math works, then thanks for the correction.

10 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

My mistake...I was hoping that a new TT contract could emphasize more money during the early years to consume more cap space while we still presumably have room.  Looking ahead a few years, we would have to address another Dahlin contract plus any of our younger players whose rookie contracts would expire.  If that's not how the cap math works, then thanks for the correction.

Cap numbers are consistent across the length of the contract in the NHL regardless of the dollar amount the player gets. So yes you could give tage more money up front and that might make it easier later to trade the contract because real v. Cap dollars but the Cap remains consistent. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

What I mean is we can talk about it all we want (the purpose of) but it’s not up to us.

Two things:

1) Where are we?  What’s the point of this place?  Is it to discuss things that we have control over?  That would be news to me.

2) I was explaining to someone how player contract cap hits are calculated.  I wasn’t even debating what type of contract Thompson should get, I was just relaying information to a fellow poster.  You relied to me saying “Not our concern”.  That’s beyond weird.  

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Two things:

1) Where are we?  What’s the point of this place?  Is it to discuss things that we have control over?  That would be news to me.

2) I was explaining to someone how player contract cap hits are calculated.  I wasn’t even debating what type of contract Thompson should get, I was just relaying information to a fellow poster.  You relied to me saying “Not our concern”.  That’s beyond weird.  

People have this take all the time. Some love talking about the cap. Others don't care at all - they hired people for this. It's just another valid pov.

10 minutes ago, SDS said:

People have this take all the time. Some love talking about the cap. Others don't care at all - they hired people for this. It's just another valid pov.

People are constantly on here discussing things that I don’t care about at all.  I simply don’t engage in the conversation.  I do not reply to them to inform them that what they are discussing is “not our concern.”

16 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

LOL if I told this board one year ago we would have a thread dedicated to how much will it take to lock up Tage Thompson long term people’s heads might have exploded.😁

When he signed his current deal there were so many people saying it was an overpay.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I might be the only but i dont trust him i personal would trade him to highest bidder 

But thats just me

At what point do we stop shipping players out for picks?  He's probably our 2nd best player behind dahlin right now - and it passes every analytic and eye test i can see. 

He's also currently dirt cheap, playing a premium position in center, playing in all situations including PP1 and PK.  I'm not sure what else this guy needs to do.  Scoring goals, one of the best on the team at gaining the offensive zone, gets to good areas.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

@Drag0nDan i just dont trust 1 year wonders

I'd agree if it was after a year of playing with Crosby or something.  But asplund and olofsson are 2 big reasons why (outside of injury obviously) i don't see a 1 year wonder.  They have not scored anywhere near the same volume since they played with Tage.  

Plus I selfishly love watching him blast slap shots into the boards on the PP.  

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I might be the only but i dont trust him i personal would trade him to highest bidder 

But thats just me

You want to trade the Sabres leading scorer who still has one year left on an exceedingly amazing contract because you "don't trust him"? 

That's something. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

@Drag0nDan i just dont trust 1 year wonders

Isn’t every young player a one year wonder the first year that they are good in the NHL?

Seriously, what reasons do you have to think that Thompson can’t continue to play at a similar level?

What do you think he is doing right now that he won’t be able to do next season?

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Isn’t every young player a one year wonder the first year that they are good in the NHL?

Seriously, what reasons do you have to think that Thompson can’t continue to play at a similar level?

What do you think he is doing right now that he won’t be able to do next season?

Hes played 145 games before this "break out" how can people not be considered about giving him a long term deal this guy has more questions marks then sam reinhart and he was  Consistently good 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You want to trade the Sabres leading scorer who still has one year left on an exceedingly amazing contract because you "don't trust him"? 

That's something. 

You want buffalo to sign him long term when hes done this 1 time ? Buffalo should take the risk and see if he Repeats it 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.