2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So you would get rid of Asplund but you are in here complaining about losing Eakin because of his faceoff skills? holy *****. 

I don’t want to trade Asplund.  I’ve said I’d make him available in the right deal.   I’ve stated many times that I like Asplund and his game. However I’m realistic in that you have to give to get.  If including Asplund in a deal to get good goaltending or a partner for Power KA has to consider it.

Also Asplund is a winger not a center.  Replacing a center is the issue here.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t want to trade Asplund.  I’ve said I’d make him available in the right deal.   I’ve stated many times that I like Asplund and his game. However I’m realistic in that you have to give to get.  If including Asplund in a deal to get good goaltending or a partner for Power KA has to consider it.

Also Asplund is a winger not a center.  Replacing a center is the issue here.

If you moved Asplund to Eakin's spot right this second, next years team would be infinitely better even is Asplund had a 40% faceoff. 

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe, but DG put Girgensons there instead.  

Zemgus, Asplund, anyone is better than Eakin at center on that line. 

I like Eakin as a person, I think he is a class act and team player and leader but if we want to get to the playoffs, he can't be someone we rely on for anything, including facoff wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

My pants just got bigger realizing the Sabres can ice their top 4 for 50 minutes a game and they should.  Holy Schinkies.  

I’d still like a salty vet RHD who you can put in the top 4 to pair with either Power or Samuelsson.  Whoever isn’t with Dahlin.  

Another sign we are moving in the right direction.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I know that it seems most everyone is taking it as a given, but are we really 100% sure that Peterka is going to start next season in the NHL?  I know it’s a possibility, but I’m not convinced it’s a certainty.

Been saying for a while that there's a very real possibility he starts the year in Ra-cha-cha.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I written before, I’d move on from Girgensons, but I acknowledge that’s unlikely. I also think Asplund is expendable in the right deal.  I would also re-sign Vinnie and waive Bjork.  DG utilized Eakin continually in the lineup to win key draws in late game situations, PP and PK.  His FO% was 56.1 this season, but he is unlikely to return next fall and there isn’t an adequate replacement for his faceoff skill on the roster.

Here are the % of our other centers, Girgensons 50.9, Cozens 45.3, Mitts 43.8, Asplund 42.6, TNT 40.5 and Krebs 35.6.  

There is also a question of whether JJP’s two way game is NHL ready.  

The Sabres are likely to carry 14 forwards next season for a variety of reasons including help getting to the cap floor, injury insurance and matchups.  This year the team used 22 different forwards to combat injuries.  Only 7 guys played most of the season (69 to 78 games).  Another 7 played 38 to 60 games. 4 more played 18-19 games. Of those 14 main forwards 3 are either gone or should be (Hayden, Bjork and Eakin). A 4th, Hinostroza, is a UFA and may not return.  That’s 4 potential roster spots.  Quinn is getting one and that is the only sure thing.  I think this uncertainty, the need for a good faceoff guy and the need for a cap hit opens the door for the acquisition of 2 way center for KO’s line. 

Would be surprised if the Sabres carry 14 healthy Fs next season.

Teams keep up 8 D-men & only 1 spare F because it is easier to organize drills w/ 4 full D-pairings & only rotatingn1 F through than to have 3 pairs rotating an extra D through & 2 Fs through.

The standard has been 13-8 for several seasons now.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know the team hasn't had 12 forwards worth dressing in a long time, but it's actually OK to have 14 forwards worth dressing.

The team won't self-combust. I promise.

True, and it is OK to do so.

But still expect them to run 13-8 on the big roster when all are healthy for logistics reasons.

They won't lose Peterka to waivers starting him in Ra-cha-cha, so unless he absolutely forces a spot from day 1 (possible, but still expect they want him to work a little more on a couple of things down on the farm), he'll start the year as an Amerk (but likely be up by Thanksgiving).

And if Bjork gets waiver claimed, no huge loss.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Too lazy to look up whether Gundbranson is any good at the hockey 

He's not spectacular but he's reliable and substantially better than Pysyk. 

I'm not saying give him a huge long contract and he's not going to change the world or anything but he's a free agent and he'd improve our D depth. I'd make him a reasonable offer and see. He'd be an upgrade. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I know that it seems most everyone is taking it as a given, but are we really 100% sure that Peterka is going to start next season in the NHL?  I know it’s a possibility, but I’m not convinced it’s a certainty.

Peterka may not start the season in the NHL. But if that happens it's more likely than not that within the season due to injuries or lack of production on the wing he will move up to the big club. He's only 20 yrs old. So, there's no need to rush him. My understanding is that in the last training camp he really shined, and if it was based solely on his play in camp he would have earned a Sabre roster spot. If I were a betting man I would put my money on him making the roster coming out of camp. 

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

RHD. Toughness and relative reliability, what we need.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n265362

Gudbransen has flourished in Calgary with Zadorov as a big physical defensive pairing that know their role and keep it simple.

I think he would be a good signing but he is not the guy to be Power’s partner 

He would be 3rd pairing, PK but would addalot of physicality and leadership back there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

RHD. Toughness and relative reliability, what we need.

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n265362

As I mentioned in the Dman thread, Gudbranson wouldn't work well here due to his requirement of a heavily structured system like how Calgary does it under Sutter

Here's my most recent idea

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3216649

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

As I mentioned in the Dman thread, Gudbranson wouldn't work well here due to his requirement of a heavily structured system like how Calgary does it under Sutter

Here's my most recent idea

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3216649

I'm not sure how reasonable signing VO for 4x4.75 is, but I would certainly be happy with that contract.

Why does Winnipeg move on from DeMelo? Who is replacing him in the lineup? I'm not sure the Jets have an interest in the trade although I do like the idea.

Copp would be a solid addition.

I don't know if Husso takes that contract because there could be some serious bidding in this free agency for goalies and he might go with longer term if the total is higher as opposed to just betting on himself that in two years he'll be able to get a payday. It's also a lot to pay a goalie who has played as few games as he has, but I suppose Buffalo has the cap space. I don't know about that one.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I written before, I’d move on from Girgensons, but I acknowledge that’s unlikely. I also think Asplund is expendable in the right deal.  I would also re-sign Vinnie and waive Bjork.  DG utilized Eakin continually in the lineup to win key draws in late game situations, PP and PK.  His FO% was 56.1 this season, but he is unlikely to return next fall and there isn’t an adequate replacement for his faceoff skill on the roster.

Here are the % of our other centers, Girgensons 50.9, Cozens 45.3, Mitts 43.8, Asplund 42.6, TNT 40.5 and Krebs 35.6.  

There is also a question of whether JJP’s two way game is NHL ready.  

The Sabres are likely to carry 14 forwards next season for a variety of reasons including help getting to the cap floor, injury insurance and matchups.  This year the team used 22 different forwards to combat injuries.  Only 7 guys played most of the season (69 to 78 games).  Another 7 played 38 to 60 games. 4 more played 18-19 games. Of those 14 main forwards 3 are either gone or should be (Hayden, Bjork and Eakin). A 4th, Hinostroza, is a UFA and may not return.  That’s 4 potential roster spots.  Quinn is getting one and that is the only sure thing.  I think this uncertainty, the need for a good faceoff guy and the need for a cap hit opens the door for the acquisition of 2 way center for KO’s line. 

I see people on here questioning Peterka’s two way game all the time.    I get the feeling someone once said it and now it’s become a thing without any real substance .   
im really curious where this notion came from? 

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m 100% sure he is ready for it.  

He needs to progress into the NHL and not stagnate in AHL    Plus he will grow along with the other young players on the team 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ve been a little on the fence myself looking at the roster, but I dug a little deeper into the history books.

Going back 25 years, there has never been a Sabres prospect who has put up point totals even remotely close to what Peterka has and not started the next season in Buffalo.

Other than Quinn, I don’t think there has been a prospect to produce like that who was not elevated to the team in-season.

Quinn’s scoring is unprecedented, but Peterka’s is right up there among the best ever as well. I posted about a while ago on the site, but don’t have the time right now to pull up the post.

In terms of what NHL teams generally do with their top prospects, he is way past ready.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I see people on here questioning Peterka’s two way game all the time.    I get the feeling someone once said it and now it’s become a thing without any real substance .   

If I remember correctly Appert talked about JJP's needing to do a better job of backchecking and that was going to be an area of focus going forward.

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Because early in the season he was absolutely a defensive liability in Rochester. I say this having watched most Amerks games on AHL.tv. By his own admission, he was adjusting to the size of the ice sheet being 20% smaller than the DEL. He was caught out of position a bunch (physical 'North American' hockey vs finesse 'European' hockey). By the end of the season it was substantially less noticeable. Quinn is definitely a better back-checker and I think that's who he is most compared to for obvious reasons and so the point is always reiterated, but that may simply be the fact Quinn is a faster skater.

JJ also struggled (relative to how he finished) offensively to start the season which seems to be forgotten or ignored. He worked to overcome it and, again, ice sheet and game style were the big factors. He's a smart hockey player who works and works and works (insert joke about German efficiency here). I don't foresee him having difficulty making the Sabres out of training camp as I'm not worried about him spending the off-season twiddling his thumbs.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t want to trade Mitts Asplund.  I’ve stated many times that I love Mitts Asplund and his game. However I’m realistic in that you have to give to get.  If including Mitts Asplund in a deal to get good goaltending or a partner for Power KA has to will consider it.

Also Mitts Asplund is a winger not a center.  Replacing a center is the issue here.

FTFY 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.