GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - Monday, March 7, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

• Sabres Fan in NS changed the title to GDT - Panthers @ Sabres - Monday, March 7, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

image.png.7a817307c1d169f0b5a090c1ffd976ca.png 

The return of Samson tonight. Will he seek his revenge and kill our lion and tear down the pillars of the KeyBank Center or will he have pity on us and Get A Haircut before the game. With Huberdeau, Barkov, Bennett, Ekblad, Lundell and also the return of Montour the Panthers have plenty of firepower for our back to back game tonight. It should be a much faster paced game compared to the one last night against the Kings but will that be to our detriment?? Any word on Tuch?? Will Miller make his return, who'll play the 4th line today?? 

LETS GO BUFFALO

• Like (+1) 1

So WGR last week raised the question of whether there should be tributes to Sam and Jack during these next two games.  I'm going with "no."  The Bills didn't have a tribute for Marshawn Lynch (and may not have had the chance to), right?  The Sabres drafted these guys, and I've got nothing against them, but they weren't here long enough and weren't impactful enough to warrant special treatment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Assessing the Sabres careers of Sam and Jack, and given the teams lack of success, I don’t see what there is to tribute?  

Sam was a very good player but his impact on the Sabres Team and on WNY fan base was just not there.  
Same with Jack.  

Seems like only yesterday that Florida was with us at the bottom of the division.  They won the lottery and drafted Ekblad, we took Sam.  Today, due to our ownerships inability to hire a quality front office and coaching, they are miles ahead of us.   Buffalo, a team that deliberately lost games to improve its draft position, is still mired in a historic run of bad hockey teams never before seen in the NHL.  

Must win -  I want the next two games.  If Tuch is out it’s going to be a very big challenge.  

Let’s go Buffalo.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Assessing the Sabres careers of Sam and Jack, I don’t see what there is to tribute?  

Sam was a very good player but his impact on the Sabres Team and on WNY fan base was just not there.  
Same with Jack.  

Seems like only yesterday that Florida was with us at the bottom of the division.  They won the lottery and drafted Ekblad, we took Sam.  Today, due to our ownerships inability to hire a quality front office and coaching, they are miles ahead of us.   Buffalo, a team that deliberately lost games to improve its draft position, is still mired in a historic run of bad hockey teams never before seen in the NHL.  

Must win -  I want the next two games.  With Tuch out it’s going to be a big challenge.  

Let’s go Buffalo.  

Oh is Tuch out? I missed that. What’s the deal there? Day to day?

38 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Assessing the Sabres careers of Sam and Jack, I don’t see what there is to tribute?  

Same with Jack.  

Must win -  I want the next two games.  With Tuch out it’s going to be a big challenge.  

Let’s go Buffalo.  

Last offseason, Florida made a trade to acquired Sam Bennett and a sixth round pick for a prospect and a second round pick. He has scored 24 goals so far this season. Florida also acquired Sam Reinhart for a first round pick (very low in the round) and a goalie prospect (Levi). Reinhart is averaging a point a game. Many people are satisfied that the Sabres are getting better. But they fail to include the context that so are other teams, including the top tier teams. 

In the two cases that I cited Florida acquired contributing players that for different reasons needed to be moved. They ended up getting two good players at bargain prices. There is no reason why with our favorable cap and draft assets this offseason the Sabres can't take advantage of the market as Florida did last offseason. 

The relevant issue isn't are you getting better. It is are you getting better relative to the competition. This offseason we will see how serious this franchise is in making this team a serious team. 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The relevant issue isn't are you getting better is this is a GDT. 

FIFY, take your crying towel to the appropriate thread and do it there. Stay on point on this one if not for me for the Ghost of Doohickie. He deserves better. He got up early in the morning to start this thread, the least you can do is wait for the 2nd page to change the subject!!!

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

So WGR last week raised the question of whether there should be tributes to Sam and Jack during these next two games.  I'm going with "no."  The Bills didn't have a tribute for Marshawn Lynch (and may not have had the chance to), right?  The Sabres drafted these guys, and I've got nothing against them, but they weren't here long enough and weren't impactful enough to warrant special treatment.

18th and 29th on the all-time Sabres points list, 52 and 41 on the all-time games played list.

Ruutu, Kotalik, May, Connolly, Audette, Campbell, Myers Mckegney, Peca are peers in terms of games played.

Best comparables in terms of position, longevity and production are probably Eichel (355 points in 375 games) to Hawerchuk (385 in 342) and Reinhart (295 in 454) to Audette (297 in 451)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

18th and 29th on the all-time Sabres points list, 52 and 41 on the all-time games played list.

Ruutu, Kotalik, May, Connolly, Audette, Campbell, Myers Mckegney, Peca are peers in terms of games played.

Best comparables in terms of position, longevity and production are probably Eichel (355 points in 375 games) to Hawerchuk (385 in 342) and Reinhart (295 in 454) to Audette (297 in 451)

Peca is the only one I would think the team would give special attention to, and that's because he was a captain.  

Plus, whatever they do isn't going to be good enough anyway, and will be another reason why the Pegulas are commie satan worshipers or something.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

They won the lottery and drafted Ekblad, we took Sam.

I still think the Sabres had to take a center that year, even if they won the lottery.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Peca is the only one I would think the team would give special attention to, and that's because he was a captain.  

Eichel was also captain. Peca also left the team on bad terms.

Personally think the salute thing is overdone. Video tributes for traded players should be reserved for the types of players who get their jerseys retired and have special relationships with the fans - Ray Bourque back to Boston kinda thing.

Guys like Eichel and Reinhart, nothing wrong with putting their face on the scoreboard during a TV timeout, politely saying ‘thanks for the six years” and moving on. Think that’s what they did for Risto. Nothing wrong with treating them like any other opponent and ignoring them either.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Plus, whatever they do isn't going to be good enough anyway, and will be another reason why the Pegulas are commie satan worshipers or something.

I still think the Sabres had to take a center that year, even if they won the lottery.

Eichel was captain (still the last person to wear the C) and was a skating highlights package 6 seasons -- starting with that first race to the puck, wheel and drive and score against.. Columbus. He even garnered some Hart attention despite being on a garbage team. Take the 60 seconds during a TV timeout to give a PA announcement and roll a highlight film with some RJ calls overlaid. It'd be easy to produce and show some goodwill to a player and give the fans a chance to wish him well. The organization can show it's all water under the bridge, say welcome back, and show some class.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

Eichel was captain (still the last person to wear the C) and was a skating highlights package 6 seasons -- starting with that first race to the puck, wheel and drive and score against.. Columbus. He even garnered some Hart attention despite being on a garbage team. Take the 60 seconds during a TV timeout to give a PA announcement and roll a highlight film with some RJ calls overlaid. It'd be easy to produce and show some goodwill to a player and give the fans a chance to wish him well. The organization can show it's all water under the bridge, say welcome back, and show some class.

Do you think the fans will wish him well? I’m not so sure.

• Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Eichel was also captain. Peca also left the team on bad terms.

Personally think the salute thing is overdone. Video tributes for traded players should be reserved for the types of players who get their jerseys retired and have special relationships with the fans - Ray Bourque back to Boston kinda thing.

Guys like Eichel and Reinhart, nothing wrong with putting their face on the scoreboard during a TV timeout, politely saying ‘thanks for the six years” and moving on. Think that’s what they did for Risto. Nothing wrong with treating them like any other opponent and ignoring them either.

I think we're in agreement on most of it.  

Yes, Eichel was kind of captain for a little while?  Peca was the captain of a team that reached the semifinals twice and the finals once.  And of course, he wasn't the primary contributor, but there is at least *something* there.  Time has passed, too.

But I totally agree that these tributes should be very few and far between.  That was kind of my initial point and the reason for the comparison to Marshawn Lynch.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jsb said:

FIFY, take your crying towel to the appropriate thread and do it there. Stay on point on this one if not for me for the Ghost of Doohickie. He deserves better. He got up early in the morning to start this thread, the least you can do is wait for the 2nd page to change the subject!!!

Thanks, but it's all part of the discussion when the Sabres play against Florida and Vegas.

That said, that post was more off topic than many others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.