Who are Sabres?

Doohickie

Which players currently skating for the team do you consider "Sabres"?  Let's use today's practice lines as a start.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Mittelstadt-Cozens-Okposo
Asplund-Krebs-Olofsson
Bjork-Eakin-Hayden
Jankowski-Hinostroza

Dahlin-Bryson
Samuelsson-Fitzgerald
Hagg-Pysyk
Miller-Butcher

My grouping:

Sabres

• Skinner
  • Thompson
  • Tuch
  • Mittelstadt
  • Cozens
  • Okposo
  • Krebs
  • Dahlin
  • Bryson
  • Samuelsson
  • Fitzgerald

On the bubble

• Asplund
  • Olofsson
  • Jankowski
  • Hinostroza
  • Pysyk

Fire them into the sun

• Bjork
  • Eakin
  • Hayden
  • Hagg
  • Miller
  • Butcher

I don't have a hard definition of what a Sabre is but the following thoughts come to mind

• I want them on the team
  • They have enough talent to be on the team going forward (part of the solution, not the problem)
  • They're not a transitional piece (Okposo being an exception; he may not be around after his contract is up, but hey, he's a Sabre.)

Bubble players

• More transitional in nature
  • Don't care if they stay or go

Fire them into the sun

• Self-explanatory

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

You wear the sweater. You’re a Sabre. When you don’t, you’re not. Unless you’re retired. Then that’s a matter of opinion.

tenor.gif

It's a sweater!

Once you wear the sweater and have an assigned number, you're a Sabre. You aren't a Sabre if you're a prospect who has yet to make it to the NHL or hasn't yet signed a contract. Your GM has set you up well, but you are a not a Jedi Sabre yet.

If your rights are acquired but you're on LTIR and do not have a Sabres # and have never skated with the team... you are not a Sabre. That means you, Johnny Boychuk.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Which players currently skating for the team do you consider "Sabres"?  Let's use today's practice lines as a start.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Asplund-Krebs-Olofsson
Bjork-Eakin-Hayden
Jankowski-Hinostroza

Dahlin-Bryson
Samuelsson-Fitzgerald
Hagg-Pysyk
Miller-Butcher

My grouping:

Sabres

• Skinner
  • Thompson
  • Tuch
  • Mittelstadt
  • Cozens
  • Okposo
  • Krebs
  • Dahlin
  • Bryson
  • Samuelsson
  • Fitzgerald

On the bubble

• Asplund
  • Olofsson
  • Jankowski
  • Hinostroza
  • Pysyk

Fire them into the sun

• Bjork
  • Eakin
  • Hayden
  • Hagg
  • Miller
  • Butcher

I don't have a hard definition of what a Sabre is but the following thoughts come to mind

• They have enough talent to be on the team going forward (part of the solution, not the problem)
  • They're not a transitional piece (Okposo being an exception; he may not be around after his contract is up, but hey, he's a Sabre.)

Bubble players

Fire them into the sun

• Self-explanatory

agree.  fire into sun group replaced next year by UPL, Power, Quinn, Peterka, Murray and couple FAs .   Team instantly is younger, faster and much bigger.   Probably struggle another year, but man that's a lot of young talent in one place.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Asplund-Krebs-Olofsson
Bjork-Eakin-Hayden
Jankowski-Hinostroza

Dahlin-Bryson
Samuelsson-Fitzgerald
Hagg-Pysyk
Miller-Butcher

My grouping:

Sabres

• Skinner
  • Thompson
  • Tuch
  • Mittelstadt
  • Cozens
  • Okposo
  • Krebs
  • Dahlin
  • Bryson
  • Samuelsson
  • Fitzgerald

On the bubble

• Asplund
  • Olofsson
  • Jankowski
  • Hinostroza
  • Pysyk

Fire them into the sun

• Bjork
  • Eakin
  • Hayden
  • Hagg
  • Miller
  • Butcher

Bubble players

Fire them into the sun

• Self-explanatory

Good a list as any, though I would add Psyk as a Sabre at least short term 1-2 more years 

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Good a list as any, though I would add Psyk as a Sabre at least short term 1-2 more years 

He was the reason I created the Bubble list.  I think you may be right.  But still I think he's a transitional player.  The only reason he's closer to the Sabres list is that he was a prior Sabre.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Missing Joker and Girgs.  

Good point... I started from the practice report from yesterday.

12 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Sun fire: most of our goalies..

Yeah, I didn't even consider them.

• Like (+1) 1

Thompson, Tuch, Skinner (by default), Okposso (by default), Krebs, Cozens, Asplund, Girgensons, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Jokiharju, Fitzgerald. 

Again, Middlestadt hasn't shown anything to me at least (I know I'm just a nobody) that he should be given a roster spot, normally at 23 years old you can at least tell he has a place on this roster whether it be on a bottom line or a top line and I don't even think he deserves a bottom line spot right now but that could easily change down the stretch. I know people are going to think I'm nuts for stating this but that's what my eyeballs are telling me and no I'm not blind (20/20 vision).

Victor Olofsson could probably net us a RHD but in reality it will probably be a draft pick, I don't see a spot for him on this roster. 

Edited by GoPuckYourself

The OP's original list of "Sabres" is 11 players:  Skinner, Thompson, Tuch, Mittelstadt, Cozens, Okposo, Krebs, Dahlin, Bryson, Samuelsson, Fitzgerald.

The full roster is 23 players.

I'm fine with the original list.  I'd also keep Asplund and Olofsson from the middle list, and add Girgensons and Jokiharju.  That gets the list to 15.

Add Power, Ryan Johnson, JJ Peterka and Quinn.  Now you're at 19. 

Add 2 goalies - UPL and Levi?  More likely UPL and a to-be-acquired veteran, with Levi going to Rochester.  That gets us to 21. 

They would need 2 more players to fill out the roster.  1 could the first round draft pick, depending on draft order and who is drafted.  That leaves one spot for an experienced veteran free agent.  If our 1st round pick stays in junior, plays in the minors, or in Europe, then we add 2 veteran free agent skaters.  Ryan Johnson could also play in Rochester to get some seasoning, leaving one more spot for a veteran FA (Hinostroza could be that guy - he adds speed and some limiited scoring ability).

Does that get it done?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sam Reinhart. 

in all seriousness, none of them yet. I believe you earn the crest of the front more than the name on the back. That will probably bother some ppl but it is how I have felt since 2005 which is the team I grew up with. I think Tuch, Dahlin, and Tage are close. I would say that Jack Quinn, Cozens, and Mr. Krebs are also in the ballpark. 

The only exception is Kyle Okposo, he is a Buffalo Sabre and is one of my favorite players. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who are the Sabres?

A bunch of well paid young men skating around on ice accomplishing nothing in a nearly empty arena.

Define nothing?

If you mean nothing as in not winning games I'd say you are mostly correct. They have won some.

If you mean nothing as in not a thing, well then I'd say you are incorrect. 

I agree with OPs list but I'd add Asplund to the Sabre portion.

I think he can be productive in the bottom six for a couple more years atleast. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The only exception is Kyle Okposo, he is a Buffalo Sabre and is one of my favorite players. 

Although I agree with you in principle, by keeping 1/2 his salary you'd be able to get back more in a trade for him than anyone else you'd be ok with losing. He'll be 34 at the end of this season. Go all in on Burakovsky from the Avs in FA in the offseason and you'd get younger, faster and better in the short term. His leadership will get picked up by Tuch and Dahlin sooner than later. 

I'd keep Asplund not because he'd provide you much point production but he's a battler and he could fill multiple spots in the bottom 6. I would also keep Mitts and Olofsson another year and see if they have bounce back years after their injuries. Mitts is obviously still struggling to find his way and Olofsson has looked better the past couple of weeks. He looked fast playing with Krebs plus he needs a shooter on his line. Mitts at the moment is looking more and more like a winger than a center especially if we draft a C with that 1-6th pick and I don't see him filling a role as a 4th liner. 

Thompson-Cozens-Krebs.... Tuch-Quinn-Skinner-Olofsson-Mitts-Asplund-Girgs..... UPL..... Samuelsson-Dahlin-Joker-Power

14 minutes ago, jsb said:

Although I agree with you in principle, by keeping 1/2 his salary you'd be able to get back more in a trade for him than anyone else you'd be ok with losing. He'll be 34 at the end of this season. Go all in on Burakovsky from the Avs in FA in the offseason and you'd get younger, faster and better in the short term. His leadership will get picked up by Tuch and Dahlin sooner than later. 

I'd keep Asplund not because he'd provide you much point production but he's a battler and he could fill multiple spots in the bottom 6. I would also keep Mitts and Olofsson another year and see if they have bounce back years after their injuries. Mitts is obviously still struggling to find his way and Olofsson has looked better the past couple of weeks. He looked fast playing with Krebs plus he needs a shooter on his line. Mitts at the moment is looking more and more like a winger than a center especially if we draft a C with that 1-6th pick and I don't see him filling a role as a 4th liner. 

Thompson-Cozens-Krebs.... Tuch-Quinn-Skinner-Olofsson-Mitts-Asplund-Girgs..... UPL..... Samuelsson-Dahlin-Joker-Power

I can pay burokovsky and Okposo, no reason to trade him especially with his offensive contributions. He's the type of vet you keep. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can pay burokovsky and Okposo, no reason to trade him especially with his offensive contributions. He's the type of vet you keep. 

Not arguing with you but it does give you more assets/draft capital to acquire a vet GK and RD without losing what they have at the moment. Now and next year shouldn't be the priority but what is best for them in 2 years when the kids start their prime years.

Not sure if this answers the intent of the OP, but to me, probably the only player on the the current roster I consider a Sabre is Girgensons.

Basically, it's about how when you picture a guy, do you picture him definitively as a Sabre? He has to have had a decent career, with the bulk or most memorable portion of it in blue and gold. It's probably going to have to be 4 or 5 years and 300 to 400 games. And being drafted by the Sabres helps be.

Kyle Okposo has played 355 games as a Sabre, Jake McCabe 353. Like both players, but I think of Jake as a Sabre and Kyle as an Islander.

Rasmus Dahlin is getting close, but he's only been part of the organization for less than 4 years and 250 games.

I hope the Cozens/Quinn/Krebs/Dahlin/Power group can join the Vanek/Pominville/Miller/Roy/Hecht/Gaustad group, or the Perreault/Martin/Schoenfeld/Gare/Ramsay group.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Define nothing?

If you mean nothing as in not winning games I'd say you are mostly correct. They have won some.

If you mean nothing as in not a thing, well then I'd say you are incorrect. 

I agree with OPs list but I'd add Asplund to the Sabre portion.

I think he can be productive in the bottom six for a couple more years atleast. 

“Accomplishing nothing” The Sabres sit 29th in the NHL this season.  This team continues to spin its wheels. The purpose of a pro hockey team is to entertain people as through playing winning hockey and occasionally competing for a championship.  This franchise isn’t entertaining, isn’t winning and certainly isn’t competing for championships and hasn’t for over a decade.  That’s accomplishing nothing.

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Thompson, Tuch, Skinner (by default), Okposso (by default), Krebs, Cozens, Asplund, Girgensons, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Jokiharju, Fitzgerald. 

Again, Middlestadt hasn't shown anything to me at least (I know I'm just a nobody) that he should be given a roster spot, normally at 23 years old you can at least tell he has a place on this roster whether it be on a bottom line or a top line and I don't even think he deserves a bottom line spot right now but that could easily change down the stretch. I know people are going to think I'm nuts for stating this but that's what my eyeballs are telling me and no I'm not blind (20/20 vision).

Victor Olofsson could probably net us a RHD but in reality it will probably be a draft pick, I don't see a spot for him on this roster. 

Wait, why is Casey Fitzgerald listed here?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

“Accomplishing nothing” The Sabres sit 29th in the NHL this season.  This team continues to spin its wheels. The purpose of a pro hockey team is to entertain people as through playing winning hockey and occasionally competing for a championship.  This franchise isn’t entertaining, isn’t winning and certainly isn’t competing for championships and hasn’t for over a decade.  That’s accomplishing nothing.

Idk, Wednesday night we entertaining

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.