New owner's first move?

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

When Golisano sold the franchise to Pegula he made the claim that he was offered more money from someone who was likely to move the franchise. The rumor was that it was someone who wanted to move the team to Hamilton. 

I don't know if the rumors that are starting to swirl have any merit to them. I hope not. I don't have much regard for how the Pegulas have run the franchise. However, I really don't want them to sell. As @GASabresIUFANnoted it's way past time to stick with a plan and ride it out.  

The person in question was Jim Balsillie.  He offered $250M for the Sabres only.

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The person in question was Jim Balsillie.  He offered $250M for the Sabres only.

I have researched the price that Pegula paid. There are different accounts. The figure that is repeated is $175 M plus the debt of $14 M for a total of $189 M. That is less than what Balsillie offered. Golisano should be thanked for being the person most responsible for keeping the franchise in Buffalo. And it should be noted that the often vilified commissioner was insistent that the franchise stayed in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have researched the price that Pegula paid. There are different accounts. The figure that is repeated is $175 M plus the debt of $14 M for a total of $189 M. That is less than what Balsillie offered. Golisano should be thanked for being the person most responsible for keeping the franchise in Buffalo. And it should be noted that the often vilified commissioner was insistent that the franchise stayed in Buffalo.  

But take note that the idea of Hamilton team was dead in the water even before this came about.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But take note that the idea of Hamilton team was dead in the water even before this came about.

I don't know what is true or not about an outside buyer. What I do know for sure is that Golisano at the press conference to announce the sale said he was offered more money for the Sabres but declined it because he wanted assurances the team would stay in Buffalo. I distinctly remember that Hamilton was most frequently where the team would have been relocated if Golisano accepted the highest offer. As I said in a prior post the commissioner was against the move. And there were reports that Toronto was against a relocation to Hamilton because they considered it an encroachment on its territory. Whatever the real story is the person who should be thanked is Golisano. He made money on the sale but he could have made more. He made a good profit but he wasn't rapacious in his dealings. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I have researched the price that Pegula paid. There are different accounts. The figure that is repeated is $175 M plus the debt of $14 M for a total of $189 M. 

The tool who had this custom jersey definitely had the price pegged as $189M.

image.thumb.png.cfcb644fe61de0f645da7d4aadc14d00.png

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Golisano should be thanked for being the person most responsible for keeping the franchise in Buffalo. And it should be noted that the often vilified commissioner was insistent that the franchise stayed in Buffalo.  

"Old Sugar Packets" has often been a punching bag around here. But damn it all - the team was consistently good - sometimes really, really good - when he was the owner.

Then again, there's his crusade to force municipal government to deal with his Canada Geese problem in Canandaigua.

YMMV, as @Taro T might say.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Old Sugar Packets" has often been a punching bag around here. But damn it all - the team was consistently good - sometimes really, really good - when he was the owner.

Then again, there's his crusade to force municipal government to deal with his Canada Geese problem in Canandaigua.

YMMV, as @Taro T might say.

Here's a good article on the Golisano era.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/tom-saved-hockey-in-buffalo-how-the-golisano-years-rescued-the-sabres/article_6ae709fc-fac8-5e61-bb8d-ea60ff8e35cb.html

As for the team being good, Tom benefited more from timing. He bought right before the Lockout. The Sabres surprised everyone when play resumed. The real architect was Darcy Regier. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's a good article on the Golisano era.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/tom-saved-hockey-in-buffalo-how-the-golisano-years-rescued-the-sabres/article_6ae709fc-fac8-5e61-bb8d-ea60ff8e35cb.html

As for the team being good, Tom benefited more from timing. He bought right before the Lockout. The Sabres surprised everyone when play resumed. The real architect was Darcy Regier. 

You said it all.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Is it legitimately happening or no?

I think there will be clarity once the football stadium deal is announced. The Pegulas will talk then and we shall see what is said. There have been rumours that some of the money in the stadium deal will be earmarked to help fix the arena but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The first move should be to renovate the damn building.

Once the football stadium financing issues are decided the arena issues should then be addressed. According to the Buff News there should be announcement on the football stadium very soon. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.