New owner's first move?

PASabreFan

Fire the GM. Hire a new GM with a new "theme" for the team "skill in top 6, tough bottom 6", "mobile, engaged defense" "speedy and wants to be here" that will require a new approach to drafting/acquisition, with the condition that they keep the existing head coach. Then, when that season isn't a stunning success, let the GM fire the head coach and announce that the second season will be a "learning" season while the new head coach implements their system. When that second season isn't a stunning success, fire the new GM and assure the new new GM that they have a 3-year tryout period and it's OK to call it a rebuild and reset to Year 0.

I think I'm fit to be an NHL owner.

• Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

He/she/they should read Sabres message boards for all the wonderful ideas on how to successfully run an NHL franchise.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952df9f1b398e461beaee

There is not doubt in my mind the dog in the picture could do better than what we’ve had the past 10 years.

Why not a Sabrespace poster?

Edited by dudacek

54 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if Buffalo would support an ECHL franchise? Probably can't get an AHL one.

I'm not sure who's going to eat more crow when the franchise roars back to life after being sold — you or TaroT after the Politburo Fan Council applauds in unison to rubber-stamp the transaction.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm not sure who's going to eat more crow when the franchise roars back to life after being sold — you or TaroT after the Politburo Fan Council applauds in unison to rubber-stamp the transaction.

I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, before announcing the move to Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

IMHO, any sale of the Sabres or the Bills to someone without an attachment to the area is a reason to expect them to move -- and anyone who honestly thinks otherwise is flat out delusional and needs to check into whatever version of Arkham in your locality until you can deal with reality.  Period.

There is no good fiscal reason to keep either team in this small town in a high tax state.  Any businessperson without an attachment to Buffalo should move the team to states of the future out of states living in the past.  The ONLY reason the Sabres might stay is that the Buffalo diaspora has that much of an effect on the ratings and the NHL commits to Buffalo like it has committed to Phoenix.  Houston and Austin are far more attractive as markets than Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

IMHO, any sale of the Sabres or the Bills to someone without an attachment to the area is a reason to expect them to move -- and anyone who honestly thinks otherwise is flat out delusional and needs to check into whatever version of Arkham in your locality until you can deal with reality.  Period.

There is no good fiscal reason to keep either team in this small town in a high tax state.  Any businessperson without an attachment to Buffalo should move the team to states of the future out of states living in the past.  The ONLY reason the Sabres might stay is that the Buffalo diaspora has that much of an effect on the ratings and the NHL commits to Buffalo like it has committed to Phoenix.  Houston and Austin are far more attractive as markets than Buffalo.

Despite @PASabreFan's belief that unicorns will suddenly fly around Key Bank Center farting rainbows once the Pegulas are gone, this team could sell out every game and still not be worth half what it would be in any other major city, or even Quebec City. The Sabres are an undervalued asset. Exactly the red meat MBA-types look for.

Don't trust any owner without a connection to this region.

• Like (+1) 3

The Sabres aren’t moving regardless of who owns the team.

I hate to say this but if TP does sell the team I wouldn’t be happy about bringing in another new administration despite my dislike of how KA has handled the goaltending and defense.  At some point we are going to have to stick to a plan and see what happens.  KA is the 4th GM to have hand in this rebuild.  It’s time to stick with it

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Curt said:

First move?  To Hamilton of course!  (**Ducks**)

When Golisano sold the franchise to Pegula he made the claim that he was offered more money from someone who was likely to move the franchise. The rumor was that it was someone who wanted to move the team to Hamilton. 

I don't know if the rumors that are starting to swirl have any merit to them. I hope not. I don't have much regard for how the Pegulas have run the franchise. However, I really don't want them to sell. As @GASabresIUFANnoted it's way past time to stick with a plan and ride it out.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.