2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

Huge mistake with Beasley.  Little shifty possession  receivers keep DBs honest. A dumb Buffalo move.-Plus now we have only 3 sure handed receivers. Top 3 WR group is now top 10 and thinner.

Von a good pickup...But he has 2 good yrs left most likely. Dont wear him out.

We need a fat D lineman.We are too small.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, calti said:

Huge mistake with Beasley.  Little shifty possession  receivers keep DBs honest. A dumb Buffalo move.-Plus now we have only 3 sure handed receivers. Top 3 WR group is now top 10 and thinner.

Von a good pickup...But he has 2 good yrs left most likely. Dont wear him out.

We need a fat D lineman.We are too small.

Davis is ready for more work and McKenzie was re signed. They also have an emerging TE (Knox) and new FA OJ Howard in the mix now as well. 

I appreciate Beasley but it was the right time to say goodbye. 

Edited by Norcal
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Davis is ready for more work and McKenzie was re signed. They also have an emerging TE (Knox) and new FA OJ Howard in the mix now as well. 

Wouldn't be surprised that when all the numbers add up, they literally HAD to cut Beasley to stay under the cap. 

I loved having Beasley and think he was a huge part of Allen's development, right up until the last drive of the 2021 season. When I was thinking that Cole had gone missing for most of this season, rewatching the season highlights reminded me that he was a huge part of all of its most important drives.

OJ howard and the 12 personnel whispers have calmed my WR nerves a little bit, but Id like to draft a good one, and even sign another solid veteran on top of that. If we have room for it, who knows if we do

Diggs is great, Davis is on his way to being great, but I don't think McKenzie has proven much outside of being able to beat Bryant to the far sideline in a race, and so i worry about relying on him to be more than a handy gadget player (which he very much is) 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Davis is a special WR no doubt...But still a mistake.We dont have any Beasleys.  Knox is a good athlete but def not a guy who is sure handed. OJ Howard...dont know enough about him.

33 minutes ago, calti said:

Davis is a special WR no doubt...But still a mistake.We dont have any Beasleys.  Knox is a good athlete but def not a guy who is sure handed. OJ Howard...dont know enough about him.

Beasley was too expensive and his performance was dropping.  His YAC plummeted this year, presumably because he's losing a step.

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Wouldn't be surprised that when all the numbers add up, they literally HAD to cut Beasley to stay under the cap. 

I loved having Beasley and think he was a huge part of Allen's development, right up until the last drive of the 2021 season. When I was thinking that Cole had gone missing for most of this season, rewatching the season highlights reminded me that he was a huge part of all of its most important drives.

OJ howard and the 12 personnel whispers have calmed my WR nerves a little bit, but Id like to draft a good one, and even sign another solid veteran on top of that. If we have room for it, who knows if we do

Diggs is great, Davis is on his way to being great, but I don't think McKenzie has proven much outside of being able to beat Bryant to the far sideline in a race, and so i worry about relying on him to be more than a handy gadget player (which he very much is) 

I agree. Would be nice if Hodgins and Stevensen take a step but I think a guy like Jameson Williams from Alabama (if he slips) or Olave from Ohio State could go a long way towards filling that gap and more. 

I don't think they're done restructuring, cutting or signing yet. 

Hard to stop when everyone around you is still going hard after it. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Beasley was too expensive and his performance was dropping.  His YAC plummeted this year, presumably because he's losing a step.

Were his YAC ever a thing? Beasley is the master of finding a gap in the zone, sitting down, and getting a key 6 yards.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why can't McKenzie do what Beasley did? He's faster and just as shifty. In the only game where they actually used Isiah he was phenomenal. 

I think they're just different route runners. Diggs is a more sit down/slot guy comparable to Beasley than McKenzie is. That said WR drafts get deeper every year. 

Personally I'd like to throw a 2/3rd at Seattle and get Lockett

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Why can't McKenzie do what Beasley did? He's faster and just as shifty. In the only game where they actually used Isiah he was phenomenal. 

Theyre completely different players with completely different roles and skill sets. That Pats game was unique too. Bill just kept letting Bryant, a bad player, get toasted by Mckenzie on the same over route over and over again, never shifting coverage away from Diggs and Knox to help. Most coaches wouldn't keep doing that. Mckenzie was just faster than Bryant and always managed to find himself open on the over route. I've never seen him used to pick apart zones and establish that very tricky mental connection with josh, this is what Beasley was elite at

I'm not even convinced Mckenzie can be a dependable WR when not completely ignored by a predominantly man defense. He's a really good gadget guy and i don't want to ASSUME he will be better than that without seeing it first, so I hope we draft and sign Beasley/Sanders' replacements even though I know we are probably only bringing in 1 more guy

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Why did buffalo cut Beasley? I wouldn't mind him 

Some think he lost a step and there was some friction about his COVID antivax stance and twitter posts, though I don't know how much of that affected the locker room. My sense is he was well liked. Mostly I think it was a salary cap issue. Imo, he is still clutch. 

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Were his YAC ever a thing? Beasley is the master of finding a gap in the zone, sitting down, and getting a key 6 yards.

In his three seasons with us, he's had: 4.9 > 4.3 > 3.7.  There's a clear trend there.  And his yards before catch also dropped this season: 6.7 > 7.5 > 4.7, and his average depth of target went 8.0 > 7.8 > 5.6.

And one of Beane's first comments after the season was that he wanted players who can get yards after the catch, with the images of Hill's huge TD against us presumably on his mind.

Just now, JujuFish said:

In his three seasons with us, he's had: 4.9 > 4.3 > 3.7.  There's a clear trend there.  And his yards before catch also dropped this season: 6.7 > 7.5 > 4.7, and his average depth of target went 8.0 > 7.8 > 5.6.

And one of Beane's first comments after the season was that he wanted players who can get yards after the catch, with the images of Hill's huge TD against us presumably on his mind.

I'd like to draft a WR early and find a way to bring in Juju. Still think Beasely can play in the league. It's not really fair to compare almost any wr to Hill with regards to YAC.

27 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Well, that is something.

39 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'd like to draft a WR early and find a way to bring in Juju. Still think Beasely can play in the league. It's not really fair to compare almost any wr to Hill with regards to YAC.

I also think he can still play.  I think it's a combo of his salary and declining play.  If his cap hit for the upcoming season had been, say, $3 million instead of $7.6 million, I bet he's still on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Damn you buffalo fans are lucky I've never seen players love an organization like yours 

Never? C'mon! Dotson, Cox (to be a backup), Jones (to stay on), Jackson (to return after initially not wanting to even report the prior season), Beebe (as a 5/6), Howard, and then Rison for nothing in-season. Teams that are on the cusp of greatness with an up-and-coming QB find it really easy to attract good players who want to win.