2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why waste a first on the Alabama guy when you can use a 3rd on Pickens? 

Isiah?

Most people think he's a goner. Between taking a pay cut last year and McDermott handling is KR duties.

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Isaiah will do just fine in the role.  $6M in cap space is too much for what Beasley brings these days.

I don't think there's a huge overlap in their roles/skillsets. Mckenzie is good at running over routes against mediocre corners in man coversge. Beasley can't do that and is integral to Allen picking apart zones

I'm cool with keeping Mckenzie. Bills will need to be smart and focused with their WR room this offseason, I'd like to add 2 guys better than Isaiah thru draft and/or FA

• spndnchz locked and unlocked this topic
On 3/4/2022 at 3:28 PM, WildCard said:

If he stays.

I am wondering whether McDermott would want him, given that …

23 hours ago, inkman said:

You’re concerned they haven’t addressed it with Buffalo Media personnel? 

Tyler Dunne’s piece — which is not about McDermott Mafia’s omerta with the media regarding 13 seconds, but about the story that the coaches didn’t address the issue with the players (reportedly not a whisper before everyone left for the offseason (“they preach accountability, but, with this, there was none,” said one unnamed player (quote may not be precise))) — is almost certainly sourced in part by his good friend Isaiah McKenzie (with whom he does/did a radio show/podcast IIRC).

Morning article re stadium financing (TBN). If it’s true that the Pegulas are on the hook for 400M of a 1.4B project, then, according to the article, they could cover that through:

* $200M loan from the league, 150M of which the other 31 teams would repay (by surrendering part of their share of the gate at the new facility), and $50M of which would be a 15 year loan at a competitive rate.

* $200M from the Pegulas, a portion (?) of which they can cover through PSL’s. The article cites $50M as an estimated take there, but my guess is that it’d be more like $125M+.

So. If someone were to buy a piece of the Sabres for, say, $50M and the Pegulas took a note payable over 15 years — well, the Pegulas could be getting their new stadium without having to come out of pocket for more than $75M (or even far less).

Nice work if you can get it.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, inkman said:

You’re concerned they haven’t addressed it with Buffalo Media personnel? 

No,  there's been rumors that they didn't address internally. It was just a, "well we lost the coin flip and that's why we lost" attitude. 

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Morning article re stadium financing (TBN). If it’s true that the Pegulas are on the hook for 400M of a 1.4B project, then, according to the article, they could cover that through:

* $200M loan from the league, 150M of which the other 31 teams would repay (by surrendering part of their share of the gate at the new facility), and $50M of which would be a 15 year loan at a competitive rate.

* $200M from the Pegulas, a portion (?) of which they can cover through PSL’s. The article cites $50M as an estimated take there, but my guess is that it’d be more like $125M+.

So. If someone were to buy a piece of the Sabres for, say, $50M and the Pegulas took a note payable over 15 years — well, the Pegulas could be getting their new stadium without having to come out of pocket for more than $75M (or even far less).

Nice work if you can get it.

America, where we subsidize billionaires but tell the poor that it's their fault the 5 jobs they work don't cover the cost of living. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

No,  there's been rumors that they didn't address internally. It was just a, "well we lost the coin flip and that's why we lost" attitude. 

America, where we subsidize billionaires but tell the poor that it's their fault the 5 jobs they work don't cover the cost of living. 

I saw one person notice how billionaires are perfectly willing to pony up billions for the highly appreciable asset (i.e. the team), but make the public pay for the assets that they need but will only deteriorate over time (e.g. the stadium).  So true (to my layman eyes, anyway) and so frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, JujuFish said:

I saw one person notice how billionaires are perfectly willing to pony up billions for the highly appreciable asset (i.e. the team), but make the public pay for the assets that they need but will only deteriorate over time (e.g. the stadium).  So true (to my layman eyes, anyway) and so frustrating.

Well ... there's a reason that they're billionaires in the first place, and it's not because they invest in things that they know will lose value.

Plus, they have lots of options for places to move the franchise, but could you imagine the impact of losing the Bills on the community (and I'm guessing that it would have a disproportionate emotional impact on the poor guy working five jobs.)  Can you say leverage.

21 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Well ... there's a reason that they're billionaires in the first place, and it's not because they invest in things that they know will lose value.

Plus, they have lots of options for places to move the franchise, but could you imagine the impact of losing the Bills on the community (and I'm guessing that it would have a disproportionate emotional impact on the poor guy working five jobs.)  Can you say leverage.

Why do people always say this with such conviction like its true?!

Buffalo is the 44th(?) largest market, not counting the other side of the border (for some reason). And some of those other, larger markets have other sports taking up Interest (collage Fb, NASCAR).

I want to see the list and analysis, cuz i think it’s complete BS.

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why do people always say this with such conviction like its true?!

Buffalo is the 44th(?) largest market, not counting the other side of the border (for some reason). And some of those other, larger markets have other sports taking up Interest (collage Fb, NASCAR).

I want to see the list and analysis, cuz i think it’s complete BS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

Looks like Buffalo is 53, although Rochester is a separate market. The two of them combined is +-31. So not as bad as you'd think. That being said, cities like Salt Lake City (who was it that was talking up SLC during the Vegas/Seatlle Expansion?), San Antonio, Portland OR, and a few that are in NC and California are larger without an NFL team, but not sure the NFL would put a second or third team in those states. Portland or SLC seem like the biggest targets, but even those aren't that much bigger; I don't know if there are similar Buffalo/Rochester neighbor markets though should be counted with Portland or SLC though.

For the NFL, Buffalo is probably sitting fairly well. The market is small but not Green Bay (roughly the same size as Rochester), and that doesn't count the Toronto market. I couldn't find a list of North American markets all in one place (so I don't know if things are counted the same), but Toronto-Hamilton appears to be as large as the biggest US markets (some say 8M, which is what NYC counts in the above link). I think Toronto is probably the only serious risk for Buffalo moving, the NFL (I'd think) wants a "local" team for the sixth-largest city in North America (plus Hamilton/NF).

To jump to the NHL, the Sabres' position is less solid since there are nearby hockey teams and big markets that don't have a team already.

Edited by MattPie

2 minutes ago, MattPie said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_television_markets

Looks like Buffalo is 53, although Rochester is a separate market. The two of them combined is +-31. So not as bad as you'd think. That being said, cities like Salt Lake City (who was it that was talking up SLC during the Vegas/Seatlle Expansion?), San Antonio, Portland OR, and a few that are in NC and California are larger without an NFL team, but not sure the NFL would put a second or third team in those states. Portland or SLC seem like the biggest targets, but even those aren't that much bigger; I don't know if there are similar Buffalo/Rochester neighbor markets though should be counted with Portland or SLC though.

For the NFL, Buffalo is probably sitting fairly well. The market is small but not Green Bay (roughly the same size as Rochester), and that doesn't count the Toronto market. I couldn't find a list of North American markets all in one place (so I don't know if things are counted the same), but Toronto-Hamilton appears to be as large as the biggest US markets (some say 8M, which is what NYC counts in the above link). I think Toronto is probably the only serious risk for Buffalo moving, the NFL (I'd think) wants a "local" team for Toronto.

To jump to the NHL, the Sabres' position is less solid since there are nearby hockey teams and big markets that don't have a team already.

Yeah. I shoulda said Greater Buffalo Metro Area market. Im just so tired of hearing about the threat of our teams moving. It’s been 50 plus ***** years. If it hasn't happened during way more economically challenging times for the area than now, it ain't happening. 

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yeah. I shoulda said Greater Buffalo Metro Area market. Im just so tired of hearing about the threat of our teams moving. It’s been 50 plus ***** years. If it hasn't happened during way more economically challenging times for the area than now, it ain't happening. 

A thought (that won't happen): if the Bills built their new stadium in Ft Erie or NF, would you cross the border to go to the game? The Bills aren't having an attendance probably, but putting the team on the side of the border with 8M+ people probably makes more sense than the 1-2M people in WNY.

Actually, that might be a better question for the Sabres given the hassle of seeing a game on a weeknight.

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is the equivalent of jamming your fingers in your ears and yelling "La La La" when someone tries to tell you something you don't want to hear.

St Louis, San Diego and Oakland are all much bigger markets with long histories in the NFL and all just lost their teams.  But you think shrinking, impoverished Buffalo is somehow immune?

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is the equivalent of jamming your fingers in your ears and yelling "La La La" when someone tries to tell you something you don't want to hear.

St Louis, San Diego and Oakland are all much bigger markets with long histories in the NFL and all just lost their teams.  But you think shrinking, impoverished Buffalo is somehow immune?

Sure.

The list of cities that have lost their teams is way longer than that. And yes, i do think they are immune. Show the the list of options. There is only one Vegas. Salt Lake city? Really. Give me break. They wont move an NFL franchise to a dry county.😂

11 minutes ago, MattPie said:

A thought (that won't happen): if the Bills built their new stadium in Ft Erie or NF, would you cross the border to go to the game? The Bills aren't having an attendance probably, but putting the team on the side of the border with 8M+ people probably makes more sense than the 1-2M people in WNY.

Actually, that might be a better question for the Sabres given the hassle of seeing a game on a weeknight.

I would go.

Is that really the team leaving, anyway?

28 minutes ago, MattPie said:

The border wouldn't affect me for Bills games since I don't go anyway.  I would go to fewer Sabres games if I had to go through that.

And can we put the stadium stuff in a separate thread and keep this for football-related Bills talk?

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The border wouldn't affect me for Bills games since I don't go anyway.  I would go to fewer Sabres games if I had to go through that.

And can we put the stadium stuff in a separate thread and keep this for football-related Bills talk?

Good point, I'm off in the weeds.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, the population of Erie County apparently grew almost 4% between 2010 and 2020. I say apparently because I'm not sure the 2020 data point in Wikipedia is the official census figure.