2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

Wawrow adds nothing because there is nothing to add.  Seriously, this is getting stupid.  @SDS @spndnchz @nfreeman can we move this or lock all Araiza stuff?  The season starts in ten days, there is no clear evidence in favor of ANYONE involved here (except maybe the plaintiff's lawyer who seems self-determined to look like a clown), and no good serious discussion or conversation can take place in absence of facts.  The guy's off the team; done.

Delete and/or move, please?

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Omigosh enough.  You have nothing.  I have nothing.  No one outside of Matt Araiza and his accuser has anything.

I think the movie is called Frozen:  Let It Go.

The truth will come out and you can judge it then if you still care.

It appears you misunderstand where I’m coming from. I explained my vantage in replies to Taro. I’m not hanging onto anything here. I doubt the truth will ever emerge out of this situation; I won’t be particularly interested in it if it does.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Here’s a truth that will imminently emerge: The Bills’ cornerbacks are the team’s biggest question mark heading into a season where a Super Bowl run is in the plans. Colour me nervous that our CB1 is Dane Jackson.

I'm fearful of Tre coming back anywhere near the player he was, an ACL at thst position is never a sure thing. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Here’s a truth that will imminently emerge: The Bills’ cornerbacks are the team’s biggest question mark heading into a season where a Super Bowl run is in the plans. Colour me nervous that our CB1 is Dane Jackson.

Since McDermott comes from a defensive back background, I’m not concerned. I’m more concerned about the linebacker corps. 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Since McDermott comes from a defensive back background, I’m not concerned. I’m more concerned about the linebacker corps. 

I'm just generally concerned. Buffalo sports is an unhealthy relationship. Every time I allow myself to believe in them they do something Billsy and I regret it. The end of the KC game is a perfect example. Allowed myself to believe they were going to pull it out. They drove the field to take the lead in spectacular fashion. Belief rewarded? Nope. Sit back down and enjoy some more failure. Now they are the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I WANT to believe in that but the smarter part of my brain knows they will find a way to eff it up.

6 hours ago, Contempt said:

I'm just generally concerned. Buffalo sports is an unhealthy relationship. Every time I allow myself to believe in them they do something Billsy and I regret it. The end of the KC game is a perfect example. Allowed myself to believe they were going to pull it out. They drove the field to take the lead in spectacular fashion. Belief rewarded? Nope. Sit back down and enjoy some more failure. Now they are the favorites to win the Super Bowl. I WANT to believe in that but the smarter part of my brain knows they will find a way to eff it up.

Even as the favorite, they're only given a 14% chance of winning it all.  It's like (actual worse than) the chance of the worst team in the NHL winning the draft lottery.  If they don't win it all, it won't (necessarily) mean that they "eff'd it up."  Last year, in the final 13 second, you could say that they did "eff up" their chance to at least be in the AFC Championship game, because they had it and made bad choices.  However, losing to one of the other top teams (Tampa Bay, Green Bay, KC, LAR, LAC, etc) wouldn't necessarily mean they messed up.  Overall, they're believed to have a slightly better chance than any one team, but when you have to play at least two of those (plus, one or two a little below them), things are far from guaranteed.  Be excited that they've built a team that's top-tier, giving them a real chance every year, and hope that they do what the Bills couldn't do the last time that happened.

7 hours ago, Contempt said:

They are so much more fun to watch than they were 6 years ago.  I'm enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I am worried about Frazer. His inability to understand a soft zone is a useless trash defensive scheme in todays NHL directly resulted in Buffalo losing a playoff game. He continued to drop into the soft zone this preseason which is horrifying. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am worried about Frazer. His inability to understand a soft zone is a useless trash defensive scheme in todays NHL directly resulted in Buffalo losing a playoff game. He continued to drop into the soft zone this preseason which is horrifying. Playing not to lose instead of playing to win. 

Exactly, the Pittsburgh game last year and Jacksonville, they didnt coach like they were the better team, don't coach down to your opponent.  Make the decisions of a winner and the champions you are or will be.

Edited by MISabresFan
spelling

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

They are so much more fun to watch than they were 6 years ago.  I'm enjoying the ride.

This is it exactly. The Bills are fun. Will they win a title? Who knows. They're fun.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think that's McDermott's tendency as well-- bend don't break. Give up field goal tries. Which I think can work most of the time. But it will fail you in crucial situations. The Bills won no close games last season, IIRC. Hopefully, the front 4 can create the sort of pressure that we haven't seen a Bills team generate since ... since ... Super Mario days?

38 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Exactly, the Pittsburgh game last year and Jacksonville, they didnt coach like they were the better team, don't coach down to your opponent.  Make the decisions of a winner and the champions you are or will be.

As a friend of mine who is big into college football likes to say: if your team is good at something, make the other team prove they can stop it. 

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is it exactly. The Bills are fun. Will they win a title? Who knows. They're fun.

I think that's McDermott's tendency as well-- bend don't break. Give up field goal tries. Which I think can work most of the time. But it will fail you in crucial situations. The Bills won no close games last season, IIRC. Hopefully, the front 4 can create the sort of pressure that we haven't seen a Bills team generate since ... since ... Super Mario days?

Because they give up the middle of the field while nursing a lead because Edmunds isn't a good coverage linebacker and they are way too content to allow teams 15yrd free plays again and again because "what if they go over the top!?!?!?!" well, you have an all pro corner and two all pro safeties so... let them try. 

I think they lost to KC last year because:

- #1 with a bullet:  the game was in KC -- which was a direct result of the Bills' highly inconsistent regular season -- and the offense was probably more guilty here than the D was. 

- they had a good pass rush but they couldn't convert pressures into sacks.  That's what the Von Miller signing was about.  If he's still got it, and Rousseau and Epenesa are improved, this can be a big difference-maker.

- they wasted a few possessions vs KC with dumb play-calling/execution.  When KC has it going, like they did that night, you need to take advantage of every single GD opportunity you have.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think they lost to KC last year because:

- #1 with a bullet:  the game was in KC -- which was a direct result of the Bills' highly inconsistent regular season -- and the offense was probably more guilty here than the D was. 

- they had a good pass rush but they couldn't convert pressures into sacks.  That's what the Von Miller signing was about.  If he's still got it, and Rousseau and Epenesa are improved, this can be a big difference-maker.

- they wasted a few possessions vs KC with dumb play-calling/execution.  When KC has it going, like they did that night, you need to take advantage of every single GD opportunity you have.

Buffalo played the game perfectly you guys need to let it go now .

***** happens its how you  Respond this year is what matters

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dungy was the same way up until Bob Sanders was finally healthy and they ran away with the title. Here’s to hoping Von Miller can finally give us what the soft zone needs to be successful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I've read that three times now trying to understand, thinking I'm missing something obvious. WTF does that parenthetic question even mean? What's its purpose? Remove it and Graham is reporting the Bills have reached out to Kern. Have they, or not? TG is a complete tool IMO. (And not just for this).

23 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I've read that three times now trying to understand, thinking I'm missing something obvious. WTF does that parenthetic question even mean? What's its purpose? Remove it and Graham is reporting the Bills have reached out to Kern. Have they, or not? TG is a complete tool IMO. (And not just for this).

Ha. I noticed that as well. I'm not sure what he meant to imply. I inferred that he was just clowning a bit.

He's a smart guy. He's a good writer -- one of the best in the local sports media business. And I agree that he can be a tool.

He seemed well on his way to bigger platforms when he was with ESPN 10-15 years ago. And then he suddenly returned to Buffalo. That always struck me as odd.

48 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha. I noticed that as well. I'm not sure what he meant to imply. I inferred that he was just clowning a bit.

He's a smart guy. He's a good writer -- one of the best in the local sports media business. And I agree that he can be a tool.

He seemed well on his way to bigger platforms when he was with ESPN 10-15 years ago. And then he suddenly returned to Buffalo. That always struck me as odd.

Maybe it's because he developed a habit of throwing shade at people?  Like he's throwing shade at the Bills by saying it was the most obvious thing in the world but you know Buffalo, they sometimes don't do the obvious.

You know, it's so easy a caveman could do it, but if you didn't do it you must be dumber than a caveman type insinuation.

Perhaps he used it to make his tweet longer and thus have it ranked higher on SEO?  Damned if I know these days.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

Maybe it's because he developed a habit of throwing shade at people?  Like he's throwing shade at the Bills by saying it was the most obvious thing in the world but you know Buffalo, they sometimes don't do the obvious.

You know, it's so easy a caveman could do it, but if you didn't do it you must be dumber than a caveman type insinuation.

Perhaps he used it to make his tweet longer and thus have it ranked higher on SEO?  Damned if I know these days.

Yeah, I read it as snark. "It's sooooo obvious to me, but other lesser people, like the Bills, might not have thought of it."

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

because "what if they go over the top!?!?!?!" 

ha!

16 minutes ago, LTS said:

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Yeah, I read it as snark. "It's sooooo obvious to me, but other lesser people, like the Bills, might not have thought of it."

Checks out. I won't say he is a tool. I will say that he often comes off as a tool. Especially on Twitter.

8 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

RE: Tim Graham, I think it's a callback to the Araiza actions and how they seemingly did little to nothing until the lawsuit came out.

I find it hard to know what else the Bills could have/should have done 4-6 weeks ago when MA made the team aware. 

1) They had a tell-all conversation with the player. We don’t know if he was completely honest with the Bills. 
2) They contacted the accuser’s representation.  
3) They were made aware that there was an ongoing criminal investigation.  

We all know the San Diego police department is not at liberty to discuss any details of said ongoing investigation.  
If the Bills called the University (fair to assume), they were told/would have been told that the University was asked to defer the investigation to the police. 

What else do people expect would be additional and reasonable steps to take? I guess they could have hired their own private investigator, but to me that’s potentially interfering with an actual criminal investigation. 

The hand-wringing of the fanbase and media that “the team hoped the allegations wouldn’t see the light of day” doesn’t feel right. 

And with all that said, the choice to move on from MA given what has transpired does feel right. It is a tough and ugly situation.