2022-2023 Buffalo Bills Thread

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Great timing.

It sounds like an announcement on the new stadium is days away at this point.

Yeah.  Not a fan of publicly funding billionaires play toys.  But there's no way Gov. Hochul isn't going to make this happen.  So, good for us, right?  And am very glad they won't be moving for a very long time.

At least unlike federally wasted $'s, our kids can always move to another state to get away from that debt. 😉

• Like (+1) 2

For that money, I'd let the team move and pocket the $500 per-person in NYS (1G$ / 20Mpeople), or if I'm feeling it, put 500M$ into infra and education and pocket $250 for everyone in the state. What BS.

Edited by MattPie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

For that money, I'd let the team move and pocket the $500 per-person in NYS (1G$ / 20Mpeople), or if I'm feeling it, put 500M$ into infra and education and pocket $250 for everyone in the state. What BS.

In the abstract, perhaps, but in reality the greedy and corrupt grifters that have been running NYS for generations would simply find other ways to spend the public's money and continue to keep their skim until the bitter end.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

In the abstract, perhaps, but in reality the greedy and corrupt grifters that have been running NYS every local, state, and gov't for generations would simply find other ways to spend the public's money and continue to keep their skim until the bitter end.

FTFY. Same skim, different optics when it's a stadium.

16 minutes ago, MattPie said:

FTFY. Same skim, different optics when it's a stadium.

Your fix is certainly true in most cases, but I'd note that the magnitude of the grift in NYS, and of its destructive effects, are in the 99th percentile relative to other state and local governments.

I agree that the huge number associated with the stadium -- and that's before overruns, which are a lock to be enormous -- brings the issue into stark relief.

5 hours ago, MattPie said:

While I would love a scenario where nobody subsidized stadiums anywhere, the math isn’t as bad as it used to be for these projects. While you may not get the economic development around the stadium that some studies project, the actual payroll taxes, real estate taxes generated by players and executives, sakes tax, etc, the return on investment isn’t horrible, especially when you add in quality of life benefits as well.

Edited by tom webster

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

While I would love a scenario where nobody subsidized stadiums anywhere, the math isn’t as bad as it used to be for these projects. While you may not get the economic development around the stadium that some studies project, the actual payroll taxes, real estate taxes generated by players and executives, sakes tax, etc, the return on investment isn’t horrible, especially when you add in quality of life benefits as well.

Sometimes, sure. Building a new stadium in the parking lot of the old one isn't going to change much in OP, I fear, unless they're planning on turning those corners into some copy of HarborCenter and hope people will drive out to OP for a meal and drinks. If they had put the stadium downtown I *might* believe it, but even then a gigadollar+ is a lot of service jobs to employ to break even. Just looking at payroll taxes, you'd have to create 250M$; given 40K$/yr jobs average paying 8K$ taxes, no way this is going to create 30,000 jobs. There's a lot of estimating in there (and I think I aimed high), but it never seems to work in our favor.

Still all of us paying out for a rich person's toy.

7 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Sometimes, sure. Building a new stadium in the parking lot of the old one isn't going to change much in OP, I fear, unless they're planning on turning those corners into some copy of HarborCenter and hope people will drive out to OP for a meal and drinks. If they had put the stadium downtown I *might* believe it, but even then a gigadollar+ is a lot of service jobs to employ to break even. Just looking at payroll taxes, you'd have to create 250M$; given 40K$/yr jobs average paying 8K$ taxes, no way this is going to create 30,000 jobs. There's a lot of estimating in there (and I think I aimed high), but it never seems to work in our favor.

Still all of us paying out for a rich person's toy.

I’m talking the payroll taxes and real estate taxes generated by players and executives with the team, hotel taxes, sales taxes on tickets, meals and merchandise purchased by fans, etc. It adds up and that doesn’t include the construction jobs and other things associated with the build.