Cool stuff from other franchises

Doohickie

The Sabres are my favorite team, as is the case for most people here.  But there are things that some franchises do that I can like and admire even if I don't favor that team.  Just off the top of my head:

• Jerseys- Columbus thirds ("Civil War Steampunk"), Coyotes Kachina jersey (the native style art).
  • Goal traditions- Columbus cannon.
  • Game win- Not sure if they're still doing it, but I kind of like the Hurricanes' orchestrated post-game cellies when they win.
  • Mascot- Gritty is awesome.  I think Sabre Tooth could use a re-do (possibly just as a personality, not even the look) where he is a little more.... subversive, especially toward opposing teams.

And actually, I'm going to cite something about the Sabres that I think it really cool:  Rick.  Adopting/sponsoring a service dog that goes to a veteran at the end of the season is just too cool.

As other things pop into my head I will add them.

What do you like about other teams?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Oh... quick add:  I haven't experienced it in person, but the live music at Nashville Predators games sounds pretty cool, especially when they get known artists to perform.

And... while I HATE it as someone rooting for the visitors, the Stars goal celly audio is pretty impactful.  It's just a deep bass THUMP THUMP and everyone yells, "DALLAS"  then THUMP THUMP, "STARS"  about three or four times.  If the Sabres wanted to take back the KBC from visiting Toronto fans, something like that might do the trick.  When the Stars score, as a fan of the visitor, that celly just makes me want to wilt.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1

I've noticed that in most arenas, the goal announcement comes just before or at the ensuing faceoff. If you've just given up a goal, I think it makes good sense to get the announcement over right away, not three minutes later when you don't need to be reminded. If you've just scored, the goal announcement comes as people are settling down and gets the party re-started. (Of course, to be consistent in my thinking, maybe it makes sense to delay your own goal announcement to mess with the opponents' heads. Would like to hear a coach or player say it matters or doesn't.) In Buffalo, sadly, it appears they wait until there's some official decree from the NHL. The droning on of the PA guy during play unnerves me.

Boston's, Montreal's and Pittsburgh's horns infuriate me. I wish ours had more character, for lack of a better word.

Great topic.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

T Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. If you haven't been to it yet, put it on your hockey list. Just an awesome game day experience from start to finish. Sensory Overload!!

I understand the draw to it… And it seems like it could be a cool time once or twice. But if I was watching games there often… I think I would personally and this is just me personally… I would get very tired of the over the top overproduction of it all. Again just personal preference.

One thing I noticed… Is there are a handful of arenas where are the music selection is very good. Off the top of my head I would say San Jose and Montreal. But I’m sure there are others I’m not remembering. Maybe Dallas?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The huge outdoor patio/bar area in Tampa is fantastic, particularly at night, when you can see the city lit up as you are enjoying an adult beverage between periods.  Lots of great sights there....The Coyote howl in Arizona is pretty unique.  Chicago fans are brutal, but the energy in the building for a Friday or Saturday night game is excellent. 

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I understand the draw to it… And it seems like it could be a cool time once or twice. But if I was watching games there often… I think I would personally and this is just me personally… I would get very tired of the over the top overproduction of it all. Again just personal preference.

One thing I noticed… Is there are a handful of arenas where are the music selection is very good. Off the top of my head I would say San Jose and Montreal. But I’m sure there are others I’m not remembering. Maybe Dallas?

I am a dinosaur and go to the games to watch hockey. I do not miss any of the action and don’t want to be distracted.

I get that the modern fan wants to be constantly entertained and have 75 dining options. My son plays and loves hockey but he can’t sit and watch a game for 3 hours. He and his friends want to be seen at the games, spend most of their time on their phones letting everyone know they are at the game.

I’m being nostalgic here but the excitement used to be when 16000 people would ooh and aah at spectacular plays that would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Sometimes the biggest cheer now is who can come up with the goofiest dance on the jumbotron.

Get off my lawn. LOL.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 4

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Oh... quick add:  I haven't experienced it in person, but the live music at Nashville Predators games sounds pretty cool, especially when they get known artists to perform.

And... while I HATE it as someone rooting for the visitors, the Stars goal celly audio is pretty impactful.  It's just a deep bass THUMP THUMP and everyone yells, "DALLAS"  then THUMP THUMP, "STARS"  about three or four times.  If the Sabres wanted to take back the KBC from visiting Toronto fans, something like that might do the trick.  When the Stars score, as a fan of the visitor, that celly just makes me want to wilt.

I think the Stars song is a custom recording from a local metal band -- Pantera. Frankly the song drives me insane, but it's cool to see the Dallas community involved like that.

I'd also like to add the Penguins baby blue jerseys to the list. They look sick and I wish they'd wear them more.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Seattle's Three Stars Salmon. Instead of just skating a circle and tossing a stick or whatever, the players are given a plush salmon to wave around and chuck over the glass. It's sort of a reverse octopus toss in Detroit. It also mimics the Pike Place Market throwing fish. Rumor is the plan is to have a different local fish species each season. This year, the salmon is 22 inches long because that's the regulation catch length size of the particular species. If it were smaller, you have to throw it back, but you get to keep it. It's informative and fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The huge outdoor patio/bar area in Tampa is fantastic, particularly at night, when you can see the city lit up as you are enjoying an adult beverage between periods.  Lots of great sights there....The Coyote howl in Arizona is pretty unique.  Chicago fans are brutal, but the energy in the building for a Friday or Saturday night game is excellent. 

Yeh but its Tampa... meh

The huge bar next to the Bell Centre to watch away games.

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I wish we could have some of that "winning" they have In Tampa Bay.

I’d have to say that “winning hockey games” thing would be really cool to see at the Key Bank Center……how do we get that?

All that other stuff just seems unnecessary when you are winning

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NAF said:

I think the Stars song is a custom recording from a local metal band -- Pantera.

That's Pantera?  Pretty cool.  When Dimebag Darrell was killed virtually every musician I know in the area (including classical) had a good story to tell about him.  He was a very well-liked dude.

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

At the Cap Centre in Landover, MD, circa 1986, you sat in the dark. The effect was pretty cool, as was watching drunk Caps fans go ass over teakettles down the steps. (Kidding, the steps were illuminated, IIRC.)

Darker than the Aud?

28 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

They play that SO LOUD that when you hear it as a fan of the opponents, it just totally deflates you.  THAT'S and awesome goal song.

I still hate the Stars but I admire that.

You wouldn't believe how loud they play it here.  Like, it's so loud it could induce labor.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, French Collection said:

I am a dinosaur and go to the games to watch hockey. I do not miss any of the action and don’t want to be distracted.

I get that the modern fan wants to be constantly entertained and have 75 dining options. My son plays and loves hockey but he can’t sit and watch a game for 3 hours. He and his friends want to be seen at the games, spend most of their time on their phones letting everyone know they are at the game.

I’m being nostalgic here but the excitement used to be when 16000 people would ooh and aah at spectacular plays that would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Sometimes the biggest cheer now is who can come up with the goofiest dance on the jumbotron.

Get off my lawn. LOL.

I agree.  Nothing beats the "old days" when all you had was hockey, beer, a scoreboard that only the period, the time remaining, and the penalties.  (I'm not sure I was even old enough to legally drink beer in those days, but occasionally found one of those light blue SportsService cups in my hand.)  The organ was the entertainment, along with fan chants.

That said, those days are not coming back, so this thread is interesting, because as long as there is unnecessary nonsense at NHL games, we may as well point out the BEST unnecessary nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2022 at 3:04 PM, French Collection said:

Get off my lawn. LOL.

This. Hate blaring music non stop. Go back to the organ and horn. The game is supposed to be the entertainment. Yeah, I'm old!!

• Like (+1) 1

This might be silly but it always stuck with me..and I can't for the life of me remember where they do it (or started it)....

There is an announcement made with 1 minute left...over the PA the announcer says "there is one minute left in the 1st period" or second period..or whatever.  Well the fans in that arena, a few hundred of them (enough to hear) with 1:05 left yell really loud "how much time is left in the period), to which the 'there is one minute left in the period' announcement seems a reply. Silly I know but that is something I always remember.

On 2/22/2022 at 11:56 AM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I saw Joan Jett play a show right after an Atlanta Thrashers game and that was pretty cool.  We were there to watch some live NHL hockey for $10 and had know idea she was playing until it was mentioned on the jumbotron.  

I'd love if the Sabre's incorporated a small stage into their next arena design.  I'd definitely stick around and buy another beer or two if I got to see someone like Joan Jett or the Spin Doctors play a 40 minute set afterwards.  

3 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I saw Joan Jett play a show right after an Atlanta Thrashers game and that was pretty cool.  We were there to watch some live NHL hockey for $10 and had know idea she was playing until it was mentioned on the jumbotron.  

I'd love if the Sabre's incorporated a small stage into their next arena design.  I'd definitely stick around and buy another beer or two if I got to see someone like Joan Jett or the Spin Doctors play a 40 minute set afterwards.  

When we went to the Bills-Cowboys Thanksgiving game in 2019, Los Lonely Boys played outside the stadium as we were walking out.  That was pretty cool.  (Not sure how popular LLB are outside Texas but they're pretty big here.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.