OT - New Job

inkman

2 hours ago, inkman said:

So no one cared that I blew in.  I did work 11 hours today, while literally doing not a ***** thing.  A customer was in for a visit due to an issue with a car motor fan blade.  I don’t know anything about them or the machine used to balance them. But I was stationed there all day with the customer spouting how much I didn’t know. Could be worse, I could have been shoveling doo doo but damn I need to stay busy. 

So your customer is catching your cold................or are you feeling better?  😏

Congrats on the new job.  I started a new one in the last few months too.  Yes it can be frustrating in that first bit in a new company when you're used to being productive.

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

So your customer is catching your cold................or are you feeling better?  😏

Congrats on the new job.  I started a new one in the last few months too.  Yes it can be frustrating in that first bit in a new company when you're used to being productive.

I feel better, thanks.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So it’s been 2 weeks. I’m still in the on boarding process.  Gonna take a bit as I have a lot to learn. The person whose position I’m taking seems to hate me and doesn’t seem to want anything to do with showing me the ropes.  I think the job will be fine and I’m looking forward to being on my own but I can’t really learn everything I need to without this person.  

She seems really capable but this woman treats me like it isn’t 1000% imperative that she hands me the knowledge I need to succeed.  I’ve tried to mention things to our boss without throwing her under the bus.  He keeps saying that this woman is coming up with a more structured plan for me. She hasn’t done any of it.  In fact the longer I’m there the less she seems willing to help. 

I’ve also been watching how she interacts with her current my future employees. I’m less than impressed.  Also, when she is showing me things in their ERP, she breezes over it super fast and just mumbles what she’s doing.  Everyone raves about her to me in the company but I can’t help but feel she’s actively sabotaging my on boarding process. 

At this point, I may just be better off learning everything on my own. It’ll be a longer more painful process but this chick ain’t doing it.  She may feel threatened as I came from a much larger company with a more prominent role. I also might be making more than her but no way to know that.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, inkman said:

So it’s been 2 weeks. I’m still in the on boarding process.  Gonna take a bit as I have a lot to learn. The person whose position I’m taking seems to hate me and doesn’t seem to want anything to do with showing me the ropes.  I think the job will be fine and I’m looking forward to being on my own but I can’t really learn everything I need to without this person.  

She seems really capable but this woman treats me like it isn’t 1000% imperative that she hands me the knowledge I need to succeed.  I’ve tried to mention things to our boss without throwing her under the bus.  He keeps saying that this woman is coming up with a more structured plan for me. She hasn’t done any of it.  In fact the longer I’m there the less she seems willing to help. 

I’ve also been watching how she interacts with her current my future employees. I’m less than impressed.  Also, when she is showing me things in their ERP, she breezes over it super fast and just mumbles what she’s doing.  Everyone raves about her to me in the company but I can’t help but feel she’s actively sabotaging my on boarding process. 

At this point, I may just be better off learning everything on my own. It’ll be a longer more painful process but this chick ain’t doing it.  She may feel threatened as I came from a much larger company with a more prominent role. I also might be making more than her but no way to know that.  Thoughts?

I had kind of a similar experience in a past job.  I took a manager position at a new company and they paired me up with an employee that had been the interim manager and wanted the full manager's job but was passed over for me.  The guy was never helpful in my transition but I did get the benefit of having a different employee (one of my other reports step up and really me help out during the first couple of months even though he didn't have to).  I had that employee's back while we worked together and still do. 

If you're looking for advice I'm a big believer in being direct in a one on one conversation with your boss.  Tell him or her what you believe you need to be successful (what are you not getting support on).  You don't have to throw the other employee under the bus just clearly communicate what you need.  Your boss should be motivated because they hired you after all and right now you're an investment that will only pay off once you're really up to speed.  And maybe there's other employees in your team or at the company that are willing to fill in the gaps if you ask for help.  

Good luck, give it some time.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I the IT guys tells me this morning that I should almost never contact him for issues with my computer.  I should call the third party outsourced IT company we contract.  Ok.  How about you give me a list of the things you can help me with.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

So I the IT guys tells me this morning that I should almost never contact him for issues with my computer.  I should call the third party outsourced IT company we contract.  Ok.  How about you give me a list of the things you can help me with.  

Welcome to the new workplace ... same as the old workplace (at least in some ways, I bet).

He asked what I needed the WI-FI password for.  I told him so I could use my computer away from my work area.  The admin asked me the same thing before directing me to him.  I’m like, it’s your effin WIFI, not the company financial records.  I want to be able to use my computer in areas other than the 15 square feet you have designated for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

He asked what I needed the WI-FI password for.  I told him so I could use my computer away from my work area.  The admin asked me the same thing before directing me to him.  I’m like, it’s your effin WIFI, not the company financial records.  I want to be able to use my computer in areas other than the 15 square feet you have designated for me. 

Probably wondering if you were going to put your phone on it or something (that's the primary reason I'd ask). Luckily, I never ran the wifi or user networking at work.

Guy still sounds like a jerk though.

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

I'm fortunate that I was able to turn my skills into a freelance gig. I don't make a lot but enough to be happy, plus I don't have to deal with BS like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm fortunate that I was able to turn my skills into a freelance gig. I don't make a lot but enough to be happy, plus I don't have to deal with BS like that.

I'm full-time at home now, I am my IT support and I never give out the wifi password to my coworkers (MsPie and RosePie). 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'm full-time at home now, I am my IT support and I never give out the wifi password to my coworkers (MsPie and RosePie). 🙂

Wife employed but also works from home. I'm the IT guy here. We just upgraded to 1GB fiber service. Dumped Comcast.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wife employed but also works from home. I'm the IT guy here. We just upgraded to 1GB fiber service. Dumped Comcast.

I wish, I had 1Gbit FIOS in PA, but I'm stuck with Spectrum here as the only feasible option. It's quite the downgrade in performance and packet reliability. The downstream bandwidth is fine, but I see lots of retries and hangs because I'm pretty sure it's losing packets here and there.

3 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I wish, I had 1Gbit FIOS in PA, but I'm stuck with Spectrum here as the only feasible option. It's quite the downgrade in performance and packet reliability. The downstream bandwidth is fine, but I see lots of retries and hangs because I'm pretty sure it's losing packets here and there.

confused jim carrey GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

So there is a new woman sitting next to me, she’s called me the wrong name at least 3 times.  I feel like it’s too many to correct her, so do I just let her figure it out on her own?  

1 hour ago, inkman said:

So there is a new woman sitting next to me, she’s called me the wrong name at least 3 times.  I feel like it’s too many to correct her, so do I just let her figure it out on her own?  

Stick one of those dumb *My Name Is* stickers on your shirt (you do wear a shirt at work, eh ??) and in as big letters as allowed on that small thing ... Inkman !! You ignorant tit !!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Return the favor by butchering her name.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

You could get with the times and file a harrassment claim against her.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

You could get with the times and file a harrassment claim against her.

🙄

How new? I'd just be cool about it and quietly mention it unless you think it's on purpose or something. If nothing else it'll save her some embarrassment if she's trying to refer to you to someone else.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Pix?

On a more serious note, as one who can't remember names for more than a few seconds (if that), here is my suggestion.

Wait until the end of the day. 

Inky: It was nice working with you today, Karen*. I know Mondays and first days at a new job are stressful, so tomorrow maybe we can work on using my real name rather than the one you used all day today.   * she might not be Karen, but she might be a Karen

Karen: Oh, I'm so sorry..... blah, blah, blah

Inky: Hey, no problem. We will work on getting names straight and then move on the the sexual harassment later in the week or next week if necessary. Oh, by the way, do you know the rule book definition of icing?

I’d rather work somewhere someone gets my name wrong than somewhere that a manager promotes the woman he’s cheating on his wife with to a junior manager. She then turns into the micromanager from hell and loses the locker room so to say. So now we’re down a bunch of senior engineers and the ship is sinking too quickly for the life rafts to inflate.

At least we get free polo shirts. So I’ve got that going for me.

Man I hate my job.

12 hours ago, inkman said:

It's not a problem having two names.  If and when you miss a deadline just mention that you thought (insert other name here) was working on that.  😏

• Haha (+1) 5