OT - New Job

inkman

So after 22 years, I left my job for greener pastures.  It was an easy decision after they stripped my department down to 4 employees after having 20 for most of my tenure.  They fired or didn’t replace any of my peers.  I was the only manager left in the building and leadership didn’t want anything to do with me.  So I’m in my first week at the new job and I’ve come down with an awful cold. 

I don’t call in unless my kid is sick.  I really don’t want to call in my first week but I’m training right now working very close with the person I’m replacing.  I’d feel awful if I got her, her family or anyone else at work this sick.  What say you Sabrespace? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Porous Five Hole said:

Can your shadowing/training be done remotely? It’ll be obvious you’re under the weather and looking out for your new coworkers.  

Not a bad thought.  Not sure if it'll work tho.  

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’d feel awful if I got her, her family or anyone else at work this sick.

I think you've already got it figured out.  Call and explain.  They should be cool about it, especially during a pandemic.  But if they're not, that's on them.

And if you're worried about not enough overlap with the person you're replacing, don't.  That's also on them.

24 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Can your shadowing/training be done remotely? It’ll be obvious you’re under the weather and looking out for your new coworkers.  

This could be an amenable solution, if possible.

• Like (+1) 3

Don't go in. Reasonable people would understand if you are sick. If they don't they are unreasonable and probably not people you want to work for/with.

....and Get Well Soon!!!

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Like (+1) 4

‘Grats on the new job, Inky.  Nothing like that new job smell.

As far as working your first week under the weather, I’d inquire into working remotely, but yeah, thats an uncomfortable situation.  No ‘grats for that.  Hope they understand and are flexible.

And PM deets.  

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

So after 22 years, I left my job for greener pastures.  It was an easy decision after they stripped my department down to 4 employees after having 20 for most of my tenure.  They fired or didn’t replace any of my peers.  I was the only manager left in the building and leadership didn’t want anything to do with me.  So I’m in my first week at the new job and I’ve come down with an awful cold. 

I don’t call in unless my kid is sick.  I really don’t want to call in my first week but I’m training right now working very close with the person I’m replacing.  I’d feel awful if I got her, her family or anyone else at work this sick.  What say you Sabrespace? 

As @KC Scoutspointed out I'm sure your new employer appreciates the fact that you are acting responsibly in not going to work on your new job while being sick. If you went to work while being sick it would be reckless of you to do so.  What would be even a worse situation for you would be your new associates going to their supervisor to get you removed from the building out of fear of catching your germs. 

I'm sure you feel bad that this illness occurred just when you are starting with your new employer. But while you may feel awkward about your initial impression your employees understand the situation and appreciate the consideration. 

As others have suggested maybe keeping in touch remotely might be a good short term response until you get better. I give you credit for being a considerate person and a conscientious worker. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

22 years. That has to say something when you see the handwriting on the wall and jump ship for some other place.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Hard to say what the best decision is but I have to say that took a lot of courage to leave your job post-22 years. Best of luck and hopefully they're reaction to whatever you decide are indicators of what type of job it'll be down the road.

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I really don’t want to call in my first week but I’m training right now working very close with the person I’m replacing.

I have an Inkling that you’ll be just fine. 
If an old Ogre like me can train to go in the opposite direction of a knuckle dragger in a few short weeks while missing a week to Covid and still kick ass/take names, anyone can. 

Edited by Ogre
Too many fews

These days you have to be cautious cause a cold could be covid, or get co-workers paranoid that you might have covid even if it is just a cold so it's tricky but if I was you I'd just be honest and tell your bosses you think you have a cold and want to come in but if they'd rather you didn't don't. 

I wouldn't go in.  Staying home would say a lot about someone's character.  As in you value the health of your employer/coworkers and their families.  Things are different compared to how they used to be when it comes to sick leave.

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Are you sure it's a cold and not COVID?

This was going to be my question.

In COVID times, if someone is exhibiting symptoms consistent with COVID, no one is going to want to be near them. That's how I'd be pitching it to them.

• Like (+1) 1

Congrats on the new job.

As to your dilemma about how to proceed while ill, would talk to the boss & possibly the coworker & ask them how they'd like you to handle it while also offering some options.  (Realizing you've already had to decide how to handle today's workday.)

Hope you're feeling better.

Congrats on your new job.  Good advice from others above...my $0.02 is to be up front, let them know you are still willing to come in, but only if they agree that is a good idea.  Above all else, you are trying to to demonstrate concern for their health as the highest priority.

22 years is a good long tenure regardless....are you getting close to retirement or is that still a ways down the road? 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

OB-GYN in a women's prison, with a fake physician diploma obtained via the Web. The culmination of an amazing life so far! Well done!

Good buddy of mine is a corrections officer.  He says the women are far worse to deal with than men. Most of the details you don’t want to know. 

My recommendation:

1) Test yourself for COVID twice (take-home) to make sure it's not COVID

2) Reach out to your manager letting them know you are sick, but you've tested negative for COVID twice, and are willing to come in if it isn't going to cause a disruption or worry anyone with coughing, sneezing etc

3) Defer to whatever they recommend

It shows that you aren't just looking for an excuse to miss work, are responsible enough to do what you can on your own to confirm it isn't COVID, and demonstrates that you trust them enough to make the right call on what is right course of action for that workplace.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, inkman said:

Update? Did you get the ax for being sick? 
Just kidding, I’m sure it all worked out. Congrats.

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

My recommendation:

1) Test yourself for COVID twice (take-home) to make sure it's not COVID

2) Reach out to your manager letting them know you are sick, but you've tested negative for COVID twice, and are willing to come in if it isn't going to cause a disruption or worry anyone with coughing, sneezing etc

3) Defer to whatever they recommend

It shows that you aren't just looking for an excuse to miss work, are responsible enough to do what you can on your own to confirm it isn't COVID, and demonstrates that you trust them enough to make the right call on what is right course of action for that workplace.

Hope this helps.

I still giggle to myself (and hear it in my head) every time I read your handle/name. Well done sir!

• Haha (+1) 1

So no one cared that I blew in.  I did work 11 hours today, while literally doing not a ***** thing.  A customer was in for a visit due to an issue with a car motor fan blade.  I don’t know anything about them or the machine used to balance them. But I was stationed there all day with the customer spouting how much I didn’t know. Could be worse, I could have been shoveling doo doo but damn I need to stay busy.