Predictions: 21-22 Second Half

DarthEbriate

42 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I'm optimistic (if we can shake the injury bug). Deluca500 is achievable.

Caveat, I haven't looked at the schedule, so we could be in for a hiding and I'm talking out my butt.

Within the back half of the season exclusively, or that we’ll get the overall record to that point? 

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I predict the medical staff will continue to lock down any and all players not named Victor Olofsson to keep nagging injuries from becoming chronic ones.  VO will find his shot again but will be traded at the deadline for a veteran RHD and 2nd round pick.

Portillo will join the Sabres in April, Levi will not, and will opt for one more year in college.  Portillo will spend about half of next season in Rochester before being called up for good.

Granato will tinker with lines based on health/availability and will go into next season having a firm understanding of what the future lines and D pairs will look like, but things will still seem unsettled due to injuries.  Casey Fitzgerald becomes one of the answers to the RHD question and along with Muel become the Sabres shutdown line, although both will demonstrate a bit of a scoring touch.  The forward lines will be the forward lines; they are up in the air and there will be a lot of churn to work around injuries. 

They'll win a few more than in the first half and end up in the low 70s in standings points. 

I was really keying on him last night. He looked confident. Not sure if he played a lot of games with Muel in the AHL and that familiarity lead to confidence or if he is just *getting it*.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

I was really keying on him last night. He looked confident. Not sure if he played a lot of games with Muel in the AHL and that familiarity lead to confidence or if he is just *getting it*.

They were the top pair to start the year in Roch

• Like (+1) 1

Attached is a WGR link with Granato on the Howard and Jeremy Show. This is a 15 min segment. He talks about a number of players and some prospects such as Power and Levi. He indicated that he believes that Tuch has more to offer because he is in a situation where his role is expanded compared to when he was with the veteran Vegas team. He stated that UPL should be back soon. He's always a good listen. 

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Attached is a WGR link with Granato on the Howard and Jeremy Show. This is a 15 min segment. He talks about a number of players and some prospects such as Power and Levi. He indicated that he believes that Tuch has more to offer because he is in a situation where his role is expanded compared to when he was with the veteran Vegas team. He stated that UPL should be back soon. He's always a good listen. 

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258

Interesting comment about Levi.  Specifically he thinks he will sign and play this season.   One thing for a forum like us to speculate on that and another for a head coach to say it.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Interesting comment about Levi.  Specifically he thinks he will sign and play this season.   One thing for a forum like us to speculate on that and another for a head coach to say it.  

In the long run it is not inconceivable that the Rheinhart trade could end up being the most consequential trade from the trading away of our previous core. Kudos to our scouting department.

It took a number of years to fairly assess the ROR deal because it took time to determine what caliber of player Tage was going to develop into. If Ryan Johnson turns out to be a good NHL player then the ROR deal looks better than it originally looked like when the deal was made.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, woods-racer said:

They will finish with around 66 points.

They had 33 to finish off the first half of the season and I can see them getting another 33 with a healthy UPL/Anderson/Toker trio with the hard schedule they face.

While this may not sound like a good year it will still be a vast improvement from last year, the unintentional tank year.

We are 2/3's of the way through this season with 21 games left with 52 points. Last season (adjusted for games played) the Sabres ended the season with 54 points.

The Sabres should get 8-10 wins and a few over time losses in their remaining 21 games. Looks as though I underestimated them. I'm hoping I did that again here today.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres need 30 points in 19 games to get to 82 pts.  Not impossible, but highly unlikely.  They are 6-3 in the last 9. I think we'd all be thrilled if the can play at a playoff level pace for the rest of the season with a 10-7-2 mark (22 pts in 19 games is a 95 pt pace for the season).  

• Like (+1) 3

70 points to end the year for the Sabres.

18p in 19 games is slightly above what they have done so far (points per game) but still should be do-able.

Behind them in the league standings will be: Montreal, Philly, Arizona, Seattle.   Buffalo, Chicago and Ottawa will battle to the last week to see who finishes 5th, 6th, and 7th worst in the league.  New Jersey and Detroit should pull away a bit.

As far as league-wide...Florida will real in Colorado in the race for the presidents Trophy, but ultimately Colorado will win it.  Carolina will fade and fall pretty far behind Florida. Once the playoffs start the Rangers will disappoint their fans the most. Slight chance they get out of the first round (don't think they will) but if they do they will go out quickly in the 2nd round.

Edited by mjd1001

On 1/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I see continued development and with a reasonably healthy roster great strides will be made for next season.  They will win more than in the first half.

For the first time in a long time the second half of a season is not meaningless.

😎

• Like (+1) 1

Well since game #42 they are a 11-12-4 which is 2 games before this thread started. Which of course has been punctuated by a 6 game losing streak and a 6-1-3 in their last 10 games. What we've learned since this started is that we still need an influx of GKing, a couple of forwards and 1 or 2 veteran RHDs. The young guys have been playing much better and they have seem to have finally become healthy enough to evaluate everyone going forward. Things have without a doubt been improving since the 6 game losing streak with a 8-3-3 record. Schedule doesn't get easier in the upcoming games, so we'll see how things turn out and how optimistic we should become for next season.

31 minutes ago, jsb said:

Well since game #42 they are a 11-12-4 which is 2 games before this thread started. Which of course has been punctuated by a 6 game losing streak and a 6-1-3 in their last 10 games. What we've learned since this started is that we still need an influx of GKing, a couple of forwards and 1 or 2 veteran RHDs. The young guys have been playing much better and they have seem to have finally become healthy enough to evaluate everyone going forward. Things have without a doubt been improving since the 6 game losing streak with a 8-3-3 record. Schedule doesn't get easier in the upcoming games, so we'll see how things turn out and how optimistic we should become for next season.

How dare you speak logically in the hopium thread ...

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, LGR4GM said:

I predict we finish with 74 points

On 1/30/2022 at 10:58 AM, LGR4GM said:

I think with stable goaltending and the addition of Krebs, Quinn, Tuch, Power, Samuelsson, and Mitts, it's just a significantly better team. 

16 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

We're at 73 points with the last game tonight. My guess was 66, glad I'm not even close.

Who gets to proclaim winner of the chicken diner?

@LGR4GM wins. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.