Dustin Tokarski returns to Practice for the Sabres

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Agree, Bjork sticks out like a sore thumb there. 

Additionally, not really a fan of an all left-shot line anyways, though my evidence for this argument is basically all anecdotal. Regardless, I’d like to replace Bjork and preferably with a right shot.

Looks like Quinn’s spot, to me

Said all offseason to those expecting Eakin to ride the pine that it was a pipe dream. 

They signed him, he was always playing. When is his deal done?

I think this nails it. The thinking (right or wrong) is they want that line to play very up tempo and very fast so Bjork over Okposo for skating speed and no other reason. He is a placeholder. Hinostroza might take that spot first, and next year maybe Quinn. Bjork is a temp, nothing more. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My suspicion right now is it’s mostly marketing; the Sabres have hopes they can sell Eakin at the deadline on his Vegas/Dallas rep.

Also, given the fact Mitts has been out all year and Krebs has been unavailable, he really has been one of the 4 best centres at Donnie’s disposal most nights.

Quite possible that's the case.  Would be very good to get something for Eakin and have him gone.  Proverbial win/win.

And Jankowski has performed well in a 4th line role to date.  Would be interesting to know what Granato's thoughts are on a potential Girgensons - Jankowski - Okposo line.  Considering, that 4th line IS the shut down line for now, curious if Granato trusts Jankowski in that role.  Guessing he doesn't, but Don seems to trust everybody in every role (at least in a year when wins are gravy & not expected), so maybe he does trust him.

Also, curious about next year's lineup.  Does Asplund slide down into that 4C role opening up a spot for Peterka in the top 9 or does that 4C get filled by a journeyman?  "No blocking" would seem to give Asplund a leg up there but maybe they let Peterka brew another year (at least until injuries open a slot for him and R2 Rou2) and keep Rasmus in the middle 6.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think this nails it. The thinking (right or wrong) is they want that line to play very up tempo and very fast so Bjork over Okposo for skating speed and no other reason. He is a placeholder. Hinostroza might take that spot first, and next year maybe Quinn. Bjork is a temp, nothing more. 

It being Hinostroza's spot for ST when he's available again & Quinn's after that makes sense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think Eakin will be deadline dealt and Jankowski will take his place, but really I don't think any of Girgs, Okposo, Eakin, Jankowski, Hayden (and probably not Murray or Bjork) matter much to KA. I think they are all gone this year or by the end of next,  (as well as Hagg, Butcher, Miller and possibly Pysyk).

the 4th line is just going to be a dumping ground for the misfit toys for the rest of this year. 

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My suspicion right now is it’s mostly marketing; the Sabres have hopes they can sell Eakin at the deadline on his Vegas/Dallas rep.

Also, given the fact Mitts has been out all year and Krebs has been unavailable, he really has been one of the 4 best centres at Donnie’s disposal most nights.

Agree

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think Eakin will be deadline dealt and Jankowski will take his place, but really I don't think any of Girgs, Okposo, Eakin, Jankowski, Hayden (and probably not Murray or Bjork) matter much to KA. I think they are all gone this year or by the end of next,  (as well as Hagg, Butcher, Miller and possibly Pysyk).

the 4th line is just going to be a dumping ground for the misfit toys for the rest of this year. 

Don't know about that.  The team is quite adamant in their building a winning (professional?) culture along w/ "not blocking" the kids.  For that reason, absolutely expect the 2 full time "A"'s back & could very well see Pysyk back, too. They're all in leadership roles & don't block anybody but 4th liners & 3rd pairing guys.

As for the rest, maybe Jankowski is back in a similar role to what he had this year (except on a 2 way, rather than AHL deal) if he xan't get any better offers & Bjork is back unless somebody really likes the cut of his jib as he's under contract next year.  Hopefully someone does, but if not, hope he likes Garbage Plates & Barbeque.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m sorta resigned to Bjork as the 13th forward next year, simply because he’s under contract.

Personally, I’d rather have Hayden because he’s tougher, Caggiula because he’s peskier or Hinostroza because he’s better.

But they don’t have contracts and I’ll settle for one JAG over five.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m sorta resigned to Bjork as the 13th forward next year, simply because he’s under contract.

Personally, I’d rather have Hayden because he’s tougher, Caggiula because he’s peskier or Hinostroza because he’s better.

But they don’t have contracts and I’ll settle for one JAG over five.

But Eakin is more durable than Caggiula and Hinostroza, which seems to be a big problem on this team.

Eakin won’t be resigned this offseason in the event he can’t be traded. But in the meantime: He’s a JAG clone for Sheevyn, he wins face offs, has played and been decent with Girgs and Okposo in a defensive/grinding role, and has a great red mullet.
I am hopeful that Hinostroza and his wheels are resigned for next season. The rest of them can float away with the rest of the garbage. (It’s a Star Wars reference and has no bearing or reflection on who they are on or off the ice and in the rest of their future dealings.)

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

Don't know about that.  The team is quite adamant in their building a winning (professional?) culture along w/ "not blocking" the kids.  For that reason, absolutely expect the 2 full time "A"'s back & could very well see Pysyk back, too. They're all in leadership roles & don't block anybody but 4th liners & 3rd pairing guys.

As for the rest, maybe Jankowski is back in a similar role to what he had this year (except on a 2 way, rather than AHL deal) if he xan't get any better offers & Bjork is back unless somebody really likes the cut of his jib as he's under contract next year.  Hopefully someone does, but if not, hope he likes Garbage Plates & Barbeque.

Well I hope you're wrong, because to me that's not progress. I'm not interested in tanking for a shot at Bedard. 

imo the only reason those guys are in the leadership role is due to a total lack of leadership left on the roster. You're not going to go far with guys on the last year of their contracts as your leaders. 

I believe the letters next year should be Tuch - C, Cozens - A, Dahlin-A. 

My preferred option would be to trade Girgs and Kyle now by eating salary on them. Get a little something for them maybe and move on from the loser era. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I hope you're wrong, because to me that's not progress. I'm not interested in tanking for a shot at Bedard. 

imo the only reason those guys are in the leadership role is due to a total lack of leadership left on the roster. You're not going to go far with guys on the last year of their contracts as your leaders. 

My preferred option would be to trade Girgs and Kyle now by eating salary on them. Get a little something for them maybe and move on from the loser era. 

I think trading Okposo is a bad idea. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

The idea of trading the two players who best represent the game you want the team to play — big-bodied, high-effort, accountable — is baffling to me.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The idea of trading the two players who best represent the game you want the team to play — big-bodied, high-effort, accountable — is baffling to me.

Last pieces of the losing era. They're going to be gone after next year regardless so since we have zero chance this year get something for them while you can and move on. 

and I don't see them as big bodied etc. as you do. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.