GDT: 1/25/2022 Sabres at Senators, 6 pm CT (that's 7 ET for you Buffalonians) MSG, WGR

Doohickie

Expected lines:

19 Peyton Krebs / 37 Casey Mittelstadt / 96 Anders Bjork

53 Jeff Skinner / 72 Tage Thompson / 89 Alex Tuch

71 Victor Olofsson / 24 Dylan Cozens / 74 Rasmus Asplund

28 Zemgus Girgensons / 20 Cody Eakin / 15 John Hayden

26 Rasmus Dahlin / 10 Henri Jokiharju

23 Mattias Samuelsson / 13 Mark Pysyk

78 Jacob Bryson / 8 Robert Hagg

We have a full fleet of centers now, right?

Mitts, Tage, Cozens, Krebs, Jankowski

Will be interesting to see if Mitts has game stamina, and how well he meshes with all the new blood.

Edit- Eakin.  Forgot Eakin

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Expected lines:

I’m not fond of that 3rd line.  VO is just off and has Asplund been effective lately?

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’m not fond of that 3rd line.  VO is just off and has Asplund been effective lately?

I think they're trying to groom Cozens as a shutdown center.  For that I'm okay with it.  But yeah I want to see him with better wingers (they'll be up from the A at some point).

• Like (+1) 1

• Doohickie changed the title to GDT: 1/25/2022 Sabres at Senators, 6 pm CT (that's 7 ET for you Buffalonians) MSG, WGR
15 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Expected lines:

We are about 5 players away from icing a team that might have a chance. 

Just now, inkman said:

We have Power, Johnson, Peterka, Quinn and this years 1st(?) on the way. Most should be here next season minus Johnson and possibly the first depending on draft position. 

Just now, inkman said:

We have Power, Johnson, Peterka, Quinn and this years 1st(?) on the way. Most should be here next season minus Johnson and possibly the first depending on draft position. 

I’d still like to see a FA forward and D who play an aggressive game.  The kids feed off of it. Get a couple of “glue” guys that bring ‘em together. 

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

I thought that Asplund had a good game against Philly. VO is not the same player he was after the being injured. He's playing a little better than when he returned from the injury list. But it doesn't seem that he is back to his pre-injury sniper form. It might take an offseason to get him fully restored to health? 

47 minutes ago, inkman said:
49 minutes ago, inkman said:

47 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’d still like to see a FA forward and D who play an aggressive game.  The kids feed off of it. Get a couple of “glue” guys that bring ‘em together. 

Watching @inkman mutter to himself on the forum is disconcerting.

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I thought that Asplund had a good game against Philly. VO is not the same player he was after the being injured. He's playing a little better than when he returned from the injury list. But it doesn't seem that he is back to his pre-injury sniper form. It might take an offseason to get him fully restored to health? 

It might take playing on a line with Cozens to get his swagger back?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Eakin.  Forgot Eakin

I look forward to the day when we can call forget about him.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think they're trying to groom Cozens as a shutdown center.  For that I'm okay with it.  But yeah I want to see him with better wingers (they'll be up from the A at some point).

I’m guessing Krebs Mitts Bjork gets 3rd line minutes tonight and VO Cozens Asplund is even with Thompson line minutes.

I haven’t been paying attention.  Is DG still not line matching with the opponent?

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

Within this WGR link Granato talks with Howard and Jeremy. This is a 15 min. segment. He brings up Mitts, Skinner, Krebs. Bjork and other topics. When listening to Granato his hockey perspective revolves around player development. He leans more toward the psychology of the player than toward a system. The contrast to Krueger is stark. Don G is always a good listen. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Within this WGR link Granato talks with Howard and Jeremy. This is a 15 min. segment. He brings up Mitts, Skinner, Krebs. Bjork and other topics. When listening to Granato his hockey perspective revolves around player development. He leans more toward the psychology of the player than toward a system. The contrast to Krueger is stark. Don G is always a good listen. 

True that. Hockey intellectual, if I may be so bold

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Expected lines:

That is the most talented lineup we have iced all season. Excited to see how it plays out.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

Is DG still not line matching with the opponent?

Who knows.  I just remember him challenging Cozens to take on the best lines of the other teams for a three game stretch (McDavid, etc.)  Hasn't been talked about much but may still be working on it.

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

True that. Hockey intellectual, if I may be so bold

Much of Granato's career dealt with working with young players at lower levels. He learned what worked with individual players and what didn't work. And he innately understood that different players responded differently. So he adapted an approach that focuses on the individual. He has people skills that for the most part can't be taught. He's not an idealogue who has a prescriptive response. He is open-minded and is constantly searching for solutions. (How he handled Skinner is an example of that.) I like him a lot. 

There are many established coaches who wouldn't be able to handle working in a rebuilding situation that jettisoned its best players and replaced them with prospects and younger players. The constant losing would demoralize them. Granato has a big picture and step by step approach that allows him to handle the trials and tribulations that a rebuild requires. He has a future vision that a lot of veteran coaches can't see because they are enmeshed with the punishing present situation. Or to put it more briefly: He has the right makeup to coach this team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Much of Granato's career dealt with working with young players at lower levels. He learned what worked with individual players and what didn't work. And he innately understood that different players responded differently. So he adapted an approach that focuses on the individual. He has people skills that for the most part can't be taught. He's not an idealogue who has a prescriptive response. He is open-minded and is constantly searching for solutions. (How he handled Skinner is an example of that.) I like him a lot. 

There are many established coaches who wouldn't be able to handle working in a rebuilding situation that jettisoned its best players and replaced them with prospects and younger players. The constant losing would demoralize them. Granato has a big picture and step by step approach that allows him to handle the trials and tribulations that a rebuild requires. He has a future vision that a lot of veteran coaches can't see because they are enmeshed with the punishing present situation. Or to put it more briefly: He has the right makeup to coach this team. 

Me too.

Here's a cool article interview with him. He seems so not bothered by the small stuff, and perhaps, that's because of his experience with cancer and the other life threatening situation he had

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nhl/sabres/one-on-one-with-buffalo-sabres-head-coach-don-granato-hockey-nhl/71-95104a28-be04-4fb0-bb09-31d297e9f790

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Expected lines:

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Hinostroza, Caggiula and Miller might be slight upgrades at the bottom of the roster but nothing major.

But when Okposo slides in for Bjork and we will have our top 9 intact for the first time all season.

And there's still that pesky little issue of the AHLer and the ECHLer in net.

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Donnie's pressers might be the most entertaining part of the Sabres season.

Hope he has the goods when winning becomes the priority because he is a good man, a smart man, and such an easy guy to root for.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.