GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - January 22, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

woods-racer

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I also hope that we'll look back at this game and say it was the game when things clicked for Krebs.

I don't think we're there yet. Philly isn't particularly fast on defense and that allows time and space. A good confidence boasting step but I think we're still a bit away from the game slowing down for Krebs the way it has for Tage.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner 27 points

Thompson 28 points 

Even defending Skinner all offseason I probably wouldn’t have had him that high. Thompson’s I’d have laughed it off in totality. 

Yes we all know you were in your Debbie Downer period, 😀 good to see you're recovering well

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think we're there yet. Philly isn't particularly fast on defense and that allows time and space. A good confidence boasting step but I think we're still a bit away from the game slowing down for Krebs the way it has for Tage.

Yes I agree but it's still nice to see the young guys making progress, confidence is a hell of a drug.

Philly's D was horrible, watching Risto today, I thought he was blamed for too much while here but wow everything people hated him for was clear as day today. It's not his play but he's a second behind seeing the plays in front of him develop. Except for his goal the Sabres forwards abused him today. He was late reacting to things all day. That trade we win just by subtraction and if Rosen turns into anything WOW what a gift.

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

That’s not earning your salary, that’s base level competence.

Don’t forget that he draws penalties, and his scoring is all the more valuable ES variety

I agree with your comments. His production is not going to match his salary-scale. But considering the empty return on investment under Krueger compared to under Granato it is a significant increase. And you make an excellent point that most of his scores are done at ES. 

17 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Watching on replay this morning, I feel like Dahlin's game is maturing before our eyes more with each passing game.  IMHO, an angry Dahlin is great for him and the team.

I'm kinda surprised this board is not jumping up and down for how physical he's being in his own end. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm kinda surprised this board is not jumping up and down for how physical he's being in his own end. 

Is there an opposite of rose-coloured glasses? *****-coloured?

Many in this board still have them on when they watch Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/22/2022 at 7:14 PM, woods-racer said:

We where supposed to be worse than Arizona and Ottawa by a lot this year. We lost our 2 best players, our stud defenseman, our best goalie. Yet here we are looking better than last year at this time. Beating teams that us as fans really think we should beat because we are *better* and more talented.

Yes, there is improvement but is that saying much against the Kreuger coached Sabres? Honestly, Ralph has to rate right up there with one of the worst coaching hires in Sabres history. The Flyers are just garbage this season for some reason. Vigneault got canned and I never thought Yeo was such a great coach although he had small success in the past. Not sure why the Flyers are a mess, but they are. Sabres have some "easy games"? coming up: Ottawa again and Montreal a couple of times. Hope "the improved Sabres" come to play and don't let down in any of those ones.

I just finished watching this game today.  It was fun and I feel like there is visible growth from the team as we go through this season.  I know it was just a bad goaltending blowout, but the additions of Samuelsson, Krebs, and Quinn when he was on ice, really fill out some important roles on this team.

Some of my off the cuff takeaways:

Dahlin looked great, and he went after the guy who boarded Skinner

Krebs looks like Tim Connolly.  Combining passing, skating and imagination to create scoring chances.  Very impressed by him.

Samuelsson is just what this team needs, and they need a right handed version of him too.  Very impressed by him.

This team is not great, or even good, but they are interesting and I feel like the potential is not just there, but is actually being slowly realized in front of our eyes.  If Mitts, Quinn and Power were out there it would be even better.

• Like (+1) 2

Skinner is having fun, and scoring in his ugly, but effective ways.  Krebs is continuing to show that he's a core piece and going to be in the mix for the top two center role for sure.  This team has no expectations and they play hard.  It's inconsistent often.  But, you're seeing such bright spots.  Thompson, Tuch, Dahlin, Krebs, Cozens, Bryson, UPL (before his injury) are all becoming useful long term fits.   With Asplund, Skinner, and a few others looking like useful cogs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure Krebs is a top 6 C.  He might be, he might not be.  He might be a top 6 winger or possibly a 3C.  At this point you could say this about all of Krebs, Cozens, Thompson and Mitts.  I think Thompson isn't necessarily our best C but he's far, far more effective at C than W.  Mitts came a long way last season but the injury bug has halted that development.  Cozens could fall anywhere from 1 to 3C when it's all said and done.  It all depends on further development and chemistry with linemates.  I kind of expect 4C to be a veteran JAG (Eakin, Jankowski, or whoever).  So who bumps over to wing?  Or do Krebs and Cozens "share" a center spot on a line together?

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Not sure Krebs is a top 6 C.  He might be, he might not be.  He might be a top 6 winger or possibly a 3C.  At this point you could say this about all of Krebs, Cozens, Thompson and Mitts.  I think Thompson isn't necessarily our best C but he's far, far more effective at C than W.  Mitts came a long way last season but the injury bug has halted that development.  Cozens could fall anywhere from 1 to 3C when it's all said and done.  It all depends on further development and chemistry with linemates.  I kind of expect 4C to be a veteran JAG (Eakin, Jankowski, or whoever).  So who bumps over to wing?  Or do Krebs and Cozens "share" a center spot on a line together?

To my mind, Mittelstadt has been better at C than W, like Thompson, and also looks to be the best face off guy of the four.  So, I think Mitts and Tage are going to play C, joined by one of Cozens/Krebs.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, The Ghost of NS said:

Who the heck is Randy Wyrozub?

From wiki 

William Randall Wyrozub (born April 8, 1950) is a former professional ice hockey centre. Wyrozub played in the National Hockey League and World Hockey Association.

Randy Wyrozub

BornApril 8, 1950 (age 71)
Lacombe, Alberta, Canada

Height5 ft 11 in (180 cm)

Weight170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)

PositionCentre

ShotLeft

Played forBuffalo Sabres
Indianapolis Racers (WHA)

NHL Draft43rd overall, 1970
Buffalo Sabres

Playing career1970–1979

Born in Lacombe, Alberta, he was drafted in the fourth round, 43rd overall, by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1970 NHL Amateur Draft. He played 100 games in the National Hockey League with the Sabres, scoring eight goals and adding ten assists. He later played fifty-five games in the World Hockey Association with the Indianapolis Racers, scoring eleven goals and adding fourteen assists.

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Krebs will be awesome. That’s all. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

5 hours ago, Curt said:

To my mind, Mittelstadt has been better at C than W, like Thompson, and also looks to be the best face off guy of the four.  So, I think Mitts and Tage are going to play C, joined by one of Cozens/Krebs.

If those 4 guys are our best 4 centres AND their best selves at centre, I’d probably play them all at centre. Wouldn’t move one to wing just because I want a vet/lower talent guy at 4C. Cozens belongs in the middle with his 200 ft game. The position they play is more relevant in the defensive end, anyways - so who plays C would be more dependant on how they look in the defensive zone for me, no the O zone, where players can more less free lance anyways. 

Krebs is even more of a playmaker than Mittelstadt so I’d think his talents would be even better suited for the middle on O, but again it’d come down to how the two look in the middle, on D. 

If all 4 are going to do their best work at C, I’d try and roll the 4 lines and suit them up with the proper wingers.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.