Your Ideal Sabres Lineup for the Remainder of This Season?

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I called your opinion ***** cold hearted?  

Snowflakey.  We’re done.

okay. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You said "seems you're trying to make all the lines the same. There's no defined role or function. Not the approach I'd go with."

And me saying you're wrong isn't an opinion just because you don't understand the roles and reasons I put those players together. 

As you said to me then, explain the roles as you see it, as it appears that you are not doing that. 

40 minutes ago, Brad_MI said:

Fair assessment to add role players for fourth line. 

For Krebs - Mittlestadt - Quinn, you definitely might be correct on lack of physicality hurting their effectiveness. In this hypothetical situation, I’d kind of be hoping that this is a line that could work in the future as players mature and just out-skill other teams. I’d be hoping that Quinn could benefit from other playmakers and just clean up opportunities.
And yeah, if it didn’t work, then at least you’d have a good data point on needing at least one forward with some physical presence on that line.

I get it. That line would presumably be fast and skilled and try to win in that way, but I just think they'd struggle against the tougher teams. Quinn is going to have problems period until he gets bigger. 

As I try and forget what happened yesterday (edibles just didn't get it done - only helped me sleep until 3am then I woke up in a non-Covid sweat), I am appreciative for both the content and entertainment this board provides.  I mean, perreault taking on Weave and lgr like Peters looking to fight any Ottawa Senator in 2007.  

Skinner - Tage - Tuch  (proven chemistry - Skinner needs one grinder - has two)

Asplund-  Mitts -  Quinn  (some defensive responsibility w/Asplund;  Quinn needs a top 6 role as                                                                  that's where he will be  next year)

Olofsson- Cozens - Okposo (Like Cozens and Kyle as tandem; Victor for some O-fence if he can ever regain his shot)

Girgenson-  Krebs - Jankowski (could switch Krebs to RW but prefer to see him try out for Centre)

Murray back to AHL, trade Vinnie, waive Eakin and send him to Rochester, Hayden and Bjork in the press box

Dahlin - Pysyk

Joki - Muel

Bryson (replaced by Power ASAP) - Hagg

trade Miller, attempt to trade Butcher, 

Anderson 

UPL

Edited by Broken Ankles
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

As I try and forget what happened yesterday (edibles just didn't get it done - only helped me sleep until 3am then I woke up in a non-Covid sweat), I am appreciative for both the content and entertainment this board provides.  I mean, perreault taking on Weave and lgr like Peters looking to fight any Ottawa Senator in 2007.  

Skinner - Tage - Tuch  (proven chemistry - Skinner needs one grinder - has two)

Asplund-  Mitts -  Quinn  (some defensive responsibility w/Asplund;  Quinn needs a top 6 role as                                                                  that's where he will be  next year)

Olofsson- Cozens - Okposo (Like Cozens and Kyle as tandem; Victor for some O-fence if he can ever regain his shot)

Girgenson-  Krebs - Jankowski (could switch Krebs to RW but prefer to see him try out for Centre)

Murray back to AHL, trade Vinnie, waive Eakin and send him to Rochester, Hayden and Bjork in the press box

Dahlin - Pysyk

Joki - Muel

Bryson (replaced by Power ASAP) - Hagg

trade Miller, attempt to trade Butcher, 

Anderson 

UPL

If you add Krebs to your top three line mix you can see a variety of interesting line combos that can be assembled and even juggled during the games. And if you look a little down the road and add Peterka to the mix then you can start to see even more flexibility and depth within those lines. It would really be helpful if Olofsson can regain his sharpshooting form and be more of a contributor. Ever since he was hurt he hasn't been the same player.

What's interesting is that while there are a variety of proposals for the assembling of lines, they all seem to be viable. This team is approaching the point (not there yet) that there are a lot of good options because the pool of players to draw from is getting deeper.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting to me to see the varied opinions on our young centers.  Mittelstadt, Thompson, Cozens, Krebs.  If there's anything that we should take from this season (using Thompson as the example) is that we will need to wait and see how these guys develop before we try to cement them into lines 1 through 4.  These guys all still have quite a bit of upside before reaching their NHL peak.  Granato does say that he is trying some of the guys at wing for when he needs to shorten the bench in a tight game and needs the skill in the top 6.

I think that Mitts will get a turn to play with Tuch when he's back up to speed (same as Thompson and Cozens did).  Quinn, Peterka will get a chance later this season for a few games anyway to show that they can handle the NHL.

Patience and lets see how they develop and who has the best chemistry going into 2022-23.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

What is with the Mitts love?  

To me he needs to show he can stay in the lineup and produce consistently...and VO is useless this year...I would sit him, Next year will be different

The coach seems to like Skinner, Tage, Tuck so that is  line 1.

I would have Asplund with Cozens, and Kerbs with Bjork (See if this works for the future Bjork needs to make or break for his chance!) fill in those lines with guys that work well with them...it is more about chemistry they anything

The 4th line line should be just that with Murray and Hayden on the the wings and Eakin at center...that is a 4th line in the NHL.

Go Sabres Finish strong and draft well my friends!!!

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

If you add Krebs to your top three line mix you can see a variety of interesting line combos that can be assembled and even juggled during the games. And if you look a little down the road and add Peterka to the mix then you can start to see even more flexibility and depth within those lines. It would really be helpful if Olofsson can regain his sharpshooting form and be more of a contributor. Ever since he was hurt he hasn't been the same player.

What's interesting is that while there are a variety of proposals for the assembling of lines, they all seem to be viable. This team is approaching the point (not there yet) that there are a lot of good options because the pool of players to draw from is getting deeper.  

Question.  If KO, Zemgus and VO are all on the roster next year what is Krebs path to top 9?  Same with JJ?  I see JJP starting in Roch until he forces himself or Z and/or KO are gone.  

26 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Question.  If KO, Zemgus and VO are all on the roster next year what is Krebs path to top 9?  Same with JJ?  I see JJP starting in Roch until he forces himself or Z and/or KO are gone.  

Skinner Tage  Tuch
Krebs.   Cozens. Quinn
JJ.       Mitts.     VO 

Z. Asplund.   KO 

think that gets it done.  

52 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

There is a role for veterans such as KO and Zemgus. If KO can play at the same level he is currently playing at he is going to be fitted in somewhere. Krebs in my view can start off as a winger and then eventually work his way to the center position. He and Quinn need to get stronger, and they will. 

What this injury plagued year has taught us is that having depth is not something to worry about. The inevitability of injuries will create opportunities for players waiting in the wings. In addition, internal competition makes the team better. If a player such as Olofsson struggles his playing time will go to someone else. The hockey season is a long hard grind where bodies get battered and need to be substituted for materializes. A congestion of talent is not something I worry about.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

We tend to forget that there’s always someone hurt and usually more than one.

We’re also not used to a roster where there is not a huge gap in talent from F1 and F10, and guys any where in the top 9 are in danger of losing their spots if they don’t perform.

Im looking forward to that kind of roster competition.

For sake of discussion:

• Mitts Skinner
  • Cozens Tuch
  • Thompson Olofsson

as the starting point for three balanced lines.

Krebs can crack the top 9 by being the best complement to one of those pairs, being an injury replacement for one of those players, or by outright beating any of those players out.

Same thing for Kyle, Girgs, Asplund, Quinn and Peterka.

It’s a great thing because having 12 guys potentially able to play in the top 9 provides both a safety net for injuries and bad play and an incentive for good play because there is a legit competitor gunning for your job.

Unlike say Eichel and Reinhart, the six I built the top 9 with aren't so far ahead of the next batch they are guaranteed those spots if they aren’t earning them with their play.

Also, it’s a lineup with a lot of versatility and flexibility. With the exception of Skinner and maybe Mitts, all 12 are capable of playing multiple positions and roles.

After years of struggling to put together 2 lines with worth watching on any given night, I’m very hopeful we’ll have a team next year that should usually have 3, and if all goes well, might even have 4.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not that I'm surprised, but I think the defense has been better without Butcher and Miller and with Samuelsson and Fitzgerald.  

You make a good observation. Samuelsson is obviously the more talented and impactful player. Fitzgerald on the other hand is a player who knows his limitations and plays within his talents. He's more of a support player who isn't very noticeable on the ice yet he is effective. We could use another Fitzgerald type of player on the backend. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.