Your Ideal Sabres Lineup for the Remainder of This Season?

GASabresIUFAN

12 hours ago, French Collection said:

Leafs’ great GM and Coach were in the same positions in Sault Ste Marie (OHL) while Colin Miller was a star Dman and their captain. Maybe they feel he is the missing piece for a playoff run. 
I think he is worth a 2nd and maybe more if salary is retained.

Miller is not the caliber of player who is a critical missing piece to any contending team. And, it is very unlikely that the Sabres would retain salary on him or any player. If our GM could get a second round pick for Miller at the trade deadline he should be arrested for felonious theft. It's not going to happen. Maybe a third round pick could be had for him? 

Don't miss interpret what I'm saying. I'm not a Miller basher. I wouldn't be against retaining him if he wants to stay and work out a fair-value contract. In my mind he is not a key piece so much as a useful piece. I consider him to be a third pairing caliber defenseman who is a good skater and has a hard shot that can be useful on the PP. 

15 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Olofsson-Cozens-Okposo

Girgenson-Mitts-Asplund

Jankowski-Eakin-Hayden

Put all the young talent back in Rochester and let them gel together in a playoff run. No further need to expose them to a losing season.

Hell no! Keep Krebs, Samuelsson and Quinn (when healthy) with the big club. Samuelsson has certainly earned the right to stay. And Krebs has demonstrated that he can play and grow at this level while contributing. Of course, Krebs and Quinn need to get stronger. But the offseason and the passing of time will take care of that. These young players are far from being finished products.  However, that doesn't mean that they are being overwhelmed playing in the higher league. In fact, I would argue that playing in the NHL this year will make them better players next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Miller is not the caliber of player who is a critical missing piece to any contending team. And, it is very unlikely that the Sabres would retain salary on him or any player. If our GM could get a second round pick for Miller at the trade deadline he should be arrested for felonious theft. It's not going to happen. Maybe a third round pick could be had for him? 

Don't miss interpret what I'm saying. I'm not a Miller basher. I wouldn't be against retaining him if he wants to stay and work out a fair-value contract. In my mind he is not a key piece so much as a useful piece. I consider him to be a third pairing caliber defenseman who is a good skater and has a hard shot that can be useful on the PP. 

I would not give anyone a 1st for Miller but a 2nd or a 3rd is possible. Retaining salary is how we use cap space to get even more. There will be teams with minimal D depth going into the playoffs, it is a war of attrition when you go deep.

Scandella got a 2nd and a 4th from the Blues at the deadline.

Teams may feel the pinch to add a certain piece when their rivals start bulking up at the deadline.

2 hours ago, jsb said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Olofsson-Mitts-Quinn

Krebs-Cozens-Okposo

Girgs-Jankowski-Asplund

Until Power joins the D group plus I think they have to get a veteran RHD that plays a Samuelsson type game, there's no telling how this group will shake out. Plus 1 of those LHD's is going to have to move to the right side if they want to get any significant playing time with the club moving forward. 

I like this set up, especially if VO is healthy and ready to be awesome again. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Olofsson-Cozens-Okposo

Girgenson-Mitts-Asplund

Jankowski-Eakin-Hayden

Put all the young talent back in Rochester and let them gel together in a playoff run. No further need to expose them to a losing season.

Full agreement here. Not every game is going to be against deathspiral Philly. The kids can fill in as long as there are injuries and also each of them can cycle through a nice 5-10 game NHL cup of coffee. But I want them dominating together as a unit and earning a buildup to a playoff (and eventual playoffs) they can't get with the Sabres. Krebs, Quinn, JJP, and Samuelsson and UPL are the future, but this year they are the Amerks. As long as we have a ton of injuries they can play up on the big squad (in their matching Amerks role, i.e. UPL is the starter, Quinn is top 6, Samuelsson is 2nd-pair over Hagg or Bryson).

This week with Hinostroza, Quinn, and Okposo injured, I'd keep @pastajoe's bottom 6 as is and do just little center shift up top.

Skinner - Cozens - Tuch

Olofsson - Thompson - Krebs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hell no! Keep Krebs, Samuelsson and Quinn (when healthy) with the big club. Samuelsson has certainly earned the right to stay. And Krebs has demonstrated that he can play and grow at this level while contributing. Of course, Krebs and Quinn need to get stronger. But the offseason and the passing of time will take care of that. These young players are far from being finished products.  However, that doesn't mean that they are being overwhelmed playing in the higher league. In fact, I would argue that playing in the NHL this year will make them better players next year. 

We’ve had plenty of young players over the past decade whose spirit has been crushed by the continual losing. Better they play for a playoff team and bring that winning attitude next year.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Kyle Okposo: 23pts in 37 games

I would play him with Cozens or Mitts for sure. Whichever needs the veteran stabilizer.

he could have 100 points I don't care. I don't actually care about "points" for players ever, just wins, but to this POINT, I want everyone and everything associated in any way with that time period GONE. Seeing what we have now, it's time. 

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Against a team that is currently a raging tire fire coached by Mike friggin' (how does he keep getting hired?) Yeo.  Consider that.

With our goaltending and some of the other pending things I'm not really looking at whether we win or lose this year but HOW WE PLAY. Dahlin giving out physical push back meant more to me in this game than any of the goals as an example. The TEAM is what matters to me and what they do or don't do as a unit. 

But yes, Philly is a dumpster fire that is true. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

he could have 100 points I don't care. I don't actually care about "points" for players ever, just wins, but to this POINT, I want everyone and everything associated in any way with that time period…I'm not really looking at whether we win or lose this year but HOW WE PLAY.

At least the message is consistent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Would love to see, towards the end of the year, something like the following to hopefully start the planning process for next year;

Skinner - Cozens - Tuch

Krebs - Mittlestadt - Quinn

Asplund - Thompson - Oloffson

Girgensons - Jankowski - Okposo

Trade / Press Box? - Eakin, Hinostroza, Bjork

Dahlin - Jokiharu

Samuelson - Pysyk

Bryson - Hagg

Trade / Press Box? - Miller, Butcher, Boychuk (sarcasm…)

I’d be hoping that the top three lines here would at least be able to see if there’s some sort of chemistry.
Ideally, it gives you an idea of potential free agent targets or re-signing yes/no.

Then, maybe you’d have some semblance of a depth chart that you could extrapolate “Adding Peterka and Power gives us…” and then could address any remaining holes and depth via free agency. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

but you obviously have no interest in trying to get that. 

See, I’ve never once gone there with you.  Don’t be that guy. The other guys that are that guy I don’t bother with anymore.  Not worth my energy.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Then post your approach because what you say here is just flat wrong.

always in your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Brad_MI said:

Would love to see, towards the end of the year, something like the following to hopefully start the planning process for next year;

Skinner - Cozens - Tuch

Krebs - Mittlestadt - Quinn

Asplund - Thompson - Oloffson

Girgensons - Jankowski - Okposo

More like this, but ideally replacing members of that 4th line with better role players. I'd keep Hayden ahead of them. Hayden Bjork jankowski but again, prefer some new bigger and tougher blood there. Pat Maroon types. 

Don't see Mitts with Krebs as both are playmakers. That line would be physically demolished. Those are the 9 I'd go with though unless Mitts shows he's not what we hope he is and then maybe remove him for Peterka or Murray to make it bigger.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Cozens-Olofsson

Murray-Krebs/Mitts- Quinn

Bjork-Jankowski-Hayden (or upgrades but in the same pesky, pk, or crash idea(s).

But I'm wrong, of course. 

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

See, I’ve never once gone there with you.  Don’t be that guy. The other guys that are that guy I don’t bother with anymore.  Not worth my energy.

Really? See I'm not that guy, didn't want to be that guy, but you did in fact go there first.

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/30493-have-never-seen-a-team-have-as-many-goalie-injuries-in-the-past-3-seasons-as-the-sabres-have/page/2/

So, maybe you were having a few too many shots like your avi Lemmy used to and you forgot, or maybe you consider those things different, but don't play holier than thou. You tossed one out, I tossed one back, I'm fine to bury it there and move on. Your call. 

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Really? See I'm not that guy, didn't want to be that guy, but you did in fact go there first.

https://www.sabrespace.com/community/topic/30493-have-never-seen-a-team-have-as-many-goalie-injuries-in-the-past-3-seasons-as-the-sabres-have/page/2/

So, maybe you were having a few too many shots like your avi Lemmy used to and you forgot, or maybe you consider those things different, but don't play holier than thou. You tossed one out, I tossed one back, I'm fine to bury it there and move on. Your call. 

I called your opinion ***** cold hearted?  

Snowflakey.  We’re done.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

always in your opinion. 

More like this, but ideally replacing members of that 4th line with better role players. I'd keep Hayden ahead of them. Hayden Bjork jankowski but again, prefer some new bigger and tougher blood there. Pat Maroon types. 

Don't see Mitts with Krebs as both are playmakers. That line would be physically demolished. Those are the 9 I'd go with though unless Mitts shows he's not what we hope he is and then maybe remove him for Peterka or Murray to make it bigger.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Cozens-Olofsson

Bjork-Jankowski-Hayden (or upgrades but in the same pesky, pk, or crash idea(s).

But I'm wrong, of course. 

You said "seems you're trying to make all the lines the same. There's no defined role or function. Not the approach I'd go with."

And me saying you're wrong isn't an opinion just because you don't understand the roles and reasons I put those players together. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Asplund-Cozens-Olofsson

Bjork-Jankowski-Hayden (or upgrades but in the same pesky, pk, or crash idea(s)

Fair assessment to add role players for fourth line. 

For Krebs - Mittlestadt - Quinn, you definitely might be correct on lack of physicality hurting their effectiveness. In this hypothetical situation, I’d kind of be hoping that this is a line that could work in the future as players mature and just out-skill other teams. I’d be hoping that Quinn could benefit from other playmakers and just clean up opportunities.
And yeah, if it didn’t work, then at least you’d have a good data point on needing at least one forward with some physical presence on that line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.