Updated Injury Report: Quinn out 4-6 Weeks

Brawndo

Probably Bryson, Girgs and Okposo.  Bryson is a solid young defenseman, and Girgs and Okposo are good veteran players (not great) who provide heart and leadership along with some talent.  You need guys like that to mentor the young guys.  I think both are under contract.  The rest are probably gone, although Vinnie has good speed and some grit and is a decent middle-to-bottom 6 player.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I wonder if anyone on that list besides Casey and UPL will be on the team next year...

Zemgus and Okposo have contracts that will keep them here. I think Hinistrona is the only one who would be re-signed but I think he's played well enough to get signed by a better team in the off-season. 

Also, the Anderson signing was so bad. Who could have expected a 40 year old goalie woudln't be able to stay healthy?

• Like (+1) 1

I’d like to see the team hire a well-respected health science and training guru along the lines of the celebrated analytics gurus we’ve seen them hire. I’d wager they’d have a chance to provide as much or more value for this team going forward 

• Like (+1) 1

Have we had a game yet when we haven't had at least 3 of these starters out?

• Skinner (2 games) Mittelstadt (35) Tuch (32)
  • Olofsson (8, playing hurt) Thompson (3) Asplund
  • Girgensons (6 and counting) Cozens (3) Okposo (2 and counting)
  • Hinostroza (3 and counting) Eakin (5) Caggiula (21 and counting)
  • Dahlin Jokiharju (16)
  • Bryson (7 and counting) Miller (7 and counting)
  • Hagg (13) Pysyk
  • Anderson (10 weeks and counting)
  • Tokarski (6 weeks and counting)

I count 9 regulars (Mitts, Tuch, VO, Hiney, Drake, Miller, Hagg, Anderson, Tokarski) with week-to-week injuries or worse and the season isn't half over yet. With the Sabres reporting record, maybe KO, Zemgus and Bryson are poised to join them. Add UPL and Subban as call-ups.

That can't be normal.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Also, the Anderson signing was so bad. Who could have expected a 40 year old goalie woudln't be able to stay healthy?

Seriously. What the heck happened to Anderson? Did he really get hurt that bad? I get that he's 40, but there hasn't been any good info on what his problem/injury is. So disappointing and frustrating. He was HOT to start the season too. What a bummer.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Have we had a game yet when we haven't had at least 3 of these starters out?

• Skinner (2 games) Mittelstadt (35) Tuch (32)
  • Olofsson (8, playing hurt) Thompson (3) Asplund
  • Girgensons (6 and counting) Cozens (3) Okposo (2 and counting)
  • Hinostroza (3 and counting) Eakin (5) Caggiula (21 and counting)
  • Dahlin Jokiharju (16)
  • Bryson (7 and counting) Miller (7 and counting)
  • Hagg (13) Pysyk
  • Anderson (10 weeks and counting)
  • Tokarski (6 weeks and counting)

I count 9 regulars (Mitts, Tuch, VO, Hiney, Drake, Miller, Hagg, Anderson, Tokarski) with week-to-week injuries or worse and the season isn't half over yet. With the Sabres reporting record, maybe KO, Zemgus and Bryson are poised to join them. Add UPL and Subban as call-ups.

That can't be normal.

The league as a whole is dealing with more injuries this year. And it’s normal for the Sabres to be near the top of the man games lost list - they almost always are 

Imo it stops being “unlucky” when it’s predictable. Taro is probably right that much of it comes down to talent 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That can't be normal.

You can even add Quinn (mono) and Samuelsson to the list as they'd have both been up earlier, health permitting.

The really disheartening part of it (along with the Sabres' lack of bona fide NHL-level depth because of roster construction) is that we did start the season in pretty much full health. Oglevie and Samuelsson were the only 2 folks injured to start the season (and Eichel/Tuch, technically). It lasted one period. We didn't have some folks returning to health or reinforcements coming, it was just immediate attrition.

By the end of game 1: Mitts and Joker. Then Olofsson, Anderson, Caggiula, Hagg... and it hasn't stopped since. Someone comes back to health and they're hurt again (Mitts, Subban), or they take the place of someone who just got hurt/protocoled (Girgs back from COVID, Okposo out on COVID).

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’d like to see the team hire a well-respected health science and training guru along the lines of the celebrated analytics gurus we’ve seen them hire. I’d wager they’d have a chance to provide as much or more value for this team going forward 

They revamped the Bills Training Staff, the Sabres should be next 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

They revamped the Bills Training Staff, the Sabres should be next 

Yeah.  You never know what the injuries are - but 4 lower body injuries that could easily be things like hamstrings or something.  These are usually fairly preventable.  The goalie injuries are the weird one, why so many injuries in 2 years?  I know tokarski is covid so... nothing you can do there.  It sounded like andersons was a stray puck that missed the neck guard or something.  Not sure on UPL and Subban's injuries though.   

Mitts was a wrist slash - no amount of training prevents that.  Okposo was hit awkwardly in the boards - no amount of training can prevent that.  Ton of lost games to covid.  Just an absolute mess of a year... but no one expected this team to be playoff bound anyway.  

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

Yeah.  You never know what the injuries are - but 4 lower body injuries that could easily be things like hamstrings or something.  These are usually fairly preventable.  The goalie injuries are the weird one, why so many injuries in 2 years?  I know tokarski is covid so... nothing you can do there.  It sounded like andersons was a stray puck that missed the neck guard or something.  Not sure on UPL and Subban's injuries though.   

Mitts was a wrist slash - no amount of training prevents that.  Okposo was hit awkwardly in the boards - no amount of training can prevent that.  Ton of lost games to covid.  Just an absolute mess of a year... but no one expected this team to be playoff bound anyway.  

Mitts wasn’t a wrist injury 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Mitts wasn’t a wrist injury 

In any case - i agree a better training staff should be inbound.  They cut bait on a lot of long time sabres staff in the last 2 years, and definitely tried to get leaner to actually get somewhere closer to profitable.  They've added some guys around scouting and analytics.  Stadium updates are definitely needed soon, the place is so depressing and old.  Training staff/equipment would be also be a wise way to help lure free agents, and generally keep your team on the ice (it certainly worked for the bills).  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.