GDT - Stars @ Sabres - January 20, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I watch these games looking to see who's mad when we lose, contributing when we win, battling when we're behind, and playing with some heart.

Dahlin, Tuch, Tage were stand outs to me tonight. Quinn faded a little but impo that's conditioning not desire. Krebs needs to add a tool because just being a passer limits him and he didn't manipulate defense enough. Samuelsson is steady and belongs. Still need goaltending. Cozens is improving. Dahlin... ***** Krueger for what he did. 

I read the last 3 or 4 pages of this GDT ... and I came away confused over what and why people are watching at this point. This post is helpful.

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Granado has admitted earlier this year the very thing we're seeing.... He wants the players to not be afraid of making mistakes. He wants them to learn from their mistakes.

In 3 years from now if the sabers are battling a team in the playoffs then the coaching style will change. It will be more about winning this game unless about development.

I don't understand why people think he's a bad GameDay coach, when he has openly admitted that that's the way he's coaching this team right now?

I do wonder how and when his team would make the transition to playing high-risk/high-event hockey, to playing a more responsible, efficient (but not boring) game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Granado has admitted earlier this year the very thing we're seeing.... He wants the players to not be afraid of making mistakes. He wants them to learn from their mistakes.

In 3 years from now if the sabers are battling a team in the playoffs then the coaching style will change. It will be more about winning this game unless about development.

I don't understand why people think he's a bad GameDay coach, when he has openly admitted that that's the way he's coaching this team right now?

I just don’t buy into that.  The notion you can “turn on” an entire aspect of the game when it’s time.  Team defense has to be practiced, perfected, and part of the fabric of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Just a question in general, is the defensive issue more of a talent issue over a system issue?

It's 100% talent right now. Our guys aren't winning enough puck battles. And worse yet, when they do, they lack the quick thinking and vision to cleanly get the puck out of the zone.

When D zone play is done right, you may not even notice it because it's just simple, no flash hockey. 

Butcher is normally the worst of the bunch, but Hagg and Pysyk (who's normally our top guy defensively) were really fighting it last night. 

My son plays U15 AAA D. The coaches and scouts love him because they notice the simple D zone stuff that I don't. I'm constantly on him to up his offense, but apparently those in the know aren't worried about offense if you can play an elite defensive zone game.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I just don’t buy into that.  The notion you can “turn on” an entire aspect of the game when it’s time.  Team defense has to be practiced, perfected, and part of the fabric of the team. 

I agree with you that defensive effort can't simply be turned on/off like a light switch. But the reality with this team is that it lacks enough talent spread out throughout the roster. The organization is steadily adding young talent. But the process is far from complete. In my view we haven't reached the critical mass of talent yet that will allow this team to be a serious team. I get frustrated watching them because there are tantalizing interludes of good play that is followed by interludes of mediocre play. That is simply due to not being talented enough, at least at this stage. However, I'm not at the point of discouragement because when I see new players such as Samuelsson added to our young core it is a reason to be hopeful.  It can be exasperating watching this team but I still retain a glimmer of hope for the near future. 

Attached is a link of a column on the game by Lance Lysowski of the Buff News that is a fair assessment of the game and situation.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/observations-sabres-young-core-takes-flight-learns-another-harsh-lesson/article_165e493a-7a40-11ec-8396-1f8e3585fb53.html

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Just a question in general, is the defensive issue more of a talent issue over a system issue? Meaning if the Sabres go FA and get a defenseman or two and Power arrives will we see significant improvements or is this a Granato thing?

It’s system. Granato encourages his players to go for it, attack and push the play. That’s why we lose 5-4 more often than 1-0.

It’s talent but not just while defending. Talent will allow us to react better in coverage, transition better, and keep the puck down the other end longer.

The system will lead to defensive breakdowns. More talent would allow us to better execute the system, minimize the breakdowns and score more to overcome them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Peyton Krebs is working his ass off, but he needs to recognize that the NHL isn’t as fast as he thinks it is.

Putting him out in the last minute was a nice confidence boost by Donnie and a great example of how this season is more about winning tomorrow than winning today.

Alex Tuch has been a far better power forward than Evander Kane ever was here.

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't really care about the score, season doesn't matter and Dell was ridiculously bad. Flopping around and turning around and losing his stick, guy is a clown. Had a lucky but horrible night. We have no goalie right now plain and simple but whatever, we knew that. . 

So much this.

Dell’s results were acceptable on a night where Pysyk and Hagg seemed to be trying to hit bonus clauses for number of turnovers, but he is an awful goalie.

The games where we play OK and lose big are inevitable.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, jsb said:

My opinions on the game:

1. The only thing worst than Pysyk and Hagg was the PK
  2. Had to watch the Stars broadcast, the color guy was much better than Ray ever thought of being, some of his thoughts:
  • Thought the Sabres future was bright with the young core already here, Power and about to be plus 3 1st rounders coming up
  • Mentioned how hard it is to find cohesion when so many guys are out for the Sabres
  • Complemented Quinn on his goal scoring and that he has 73 goals in his last 102 games played, crazy stat
  • Thought the goal by Dahlin was special  and although he needs work on defense, his skills are noticable
  • When Hagg made the spin move for a turnover it was said "they need to tell him on the bench what were you doing? you're not Dahlin"
  • Made several comments on how the Sabres were attacking but that they thought they were leaving themselves open to getting easily counter attacked especially with all the turnovers they were making. He thought that was their biggest issue
  • When Benn hit Dahlin at the end of the first period it was said they need to do that a lot more to slow that guy down
  1. Dahlin was 1st in points, 1st in TOI, 1st in Hits and was 3rd in blocked shots for the Sabres.
  2. I'll be shocked if Tuch isn't our next C with Dahlin and Cozens as the A's, 
  3. Skinner actually plays hard, Thompson isn't going to get moved from Center
  4. Samuelsson is steady as a rock, he's not going back to Rochester with the possible exception of the playoffs
  5. Young core is going to have to muscle up, we have little grit especially with the exception of a couple of forwards, it was really noticeable yesterday, color guy mentioned how with so many guys with size on Sabres they don't utilize it
  6. Krebs played his worst game, seemed too predictable but he does have vision
  7. The past few games Asplund seems to have hands of stone, for a Swede he has mishandled passes right on the tape. WTF.

Thanks for this - excellent summary.  To the bold - I was thinking the same thing, their color guy was impeccable.  Not only was he so incredibly well read in on the Sabres (quoting players of our last 4 drafts, postion of the draft they were selected and where those prospects were playing) but his contribution within play was perfect, never forced.  A great compliment and what Sabres fans deserve to hear over what they have today.  Not too much to expect the broadcast team spend time researching their opponents.  Glad I live out of market so I can make those choices with Direct Tv.

Unfortunately I also agree with his assessment of Dahlin in his own end.  Earlier comments about Hagg and Pysyk's play.  Dahlin was much worse defensively than Mark last night.  Of course his offensive outburst and highlight reel play will dilute the overall contribution to the game.  I want more of those spectacular plays without sacrificing the D. 

As it relates to the PK - Did it seem that they attempted to install a version of the Penguin's aggressive defense?  They were outside the box a lot more frequently than usual.  Maybe just a personnel issue without Kyle and Zemgus.  Tage lead all forwards on the PK with 3:00 TOI.  The next closest were Tuck 2:37 and Jankowski 1:19.   Seems odd. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Maybe it's hard to turn it on in the middle of the season or game to game.. but you can do it over an off season and through training camp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.