GDT - Stars @ Sabres - January 20, 2022 - 7:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Lindy Ruff stayed on the bench ...wanted the play reviewed but refs ignored him

I remember Darcy hemorrhaging at someone in the booth upstairs.  He was so animated that I thought his pointing was going to take the monitor off of the wall.  I also remember Lindy saying something to Bettman and being given a "how dare you" look.

I've been advised by people to let No Goal vanish with the passage of time, but I'll take that grudge with me to my grave.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I remember Darcy hemorrhaging at someone in the booth upstairs.  He was so animated that I thought his pointing was going to take the monitor off of the wall.  I also remember Lindy saying something to Bettman and being given a "how dare you" look.

I've been advised by people to let No Goal vanish with the passage of time, but I'll take that grudge with me to my grave.

Yep, me too

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I hate to say it, but I'm glad VO has been dropped from PP1.  Without his slapper, he's just not effective.  That half-wall spot needs a better passer/playmaker than a slapper-less VO.

I'll look forward to Mitts taking VO's spot on PP2 when he returns -- I like the idea of Mitts and Krebs on the 2 half-walls.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I hate to say it, but I'm glad VO has been dropped from PP1.  Without his slapper, he's just not effective.  That half-wall spot needs a better passer/playmaker than a slapper-less VO.

I'll look forward to Mitts taking VO's spot on PP2 when he returns -- I like the idea of Mitts and Krebs on the 2 half-walls.

Agree, I think VO is still hurt and could benefit from being shut down for a few weeks 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Agree, I think VO is still hurt and could benefit from being shut down for a few weeks 

He's simply not the same player after returning from his injured. Granato said that because of the nature of his injury he was not able to practice shooting while rehabbing. It's apparent that it is still bothering him. 

1 hour ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

That was No Goal II. It's revisionist history to say that anyone from the Sabres was complaining before it was too late. Unless you think a sports commissioner should overrule his officials moments before awarding a championship trophy.

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm calling it:  Quinn with 2 goals tonight.  Sabres win 4-1.

Hope he gets them early because his Amerks game went into OT last night and I worry he may not have any legs left when the 3rd period rolls around tonight. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Totally agree with this if the other wingers could stay healthy. He's starting to shoot wristers now (I remember 2 from last game) but until teams fear that slapshot on the PP and he has confidence/comfort to play like he was early in the year 5-on-5 (that drive and dish to Asplund for the winner in Anaheim), he's a temporary JAG.

Trouble is he's stuck in the lineup because everyone else is an injury turnstile. Hinostroza could have taken his place in the top-6/PP role for a bit, but now he's out for extended action, too.

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Totally agree with this if the other wingers could stay healthy. He's starting to shoot wristers now (I remember 2 from last game) but until teams fear that slapshot on the PP and he has confidence/comfort to play like he was early in the year 5-on-5 (that drive and dish to Asplund for the winner in Anaheim), he's a temporary JAG.

Trouble is he's stuck in the lineup because everyone else is an injury turnstile. Hinostroza could have taken his place in the top-6/PP role for a bit, but now he's out for extended action, too.

That, and because he’s producing more than the other players 

Since coming back from injury, VO ranks 4th among Sabres forwards for scoring. I’d keep an eye on the trend of the last 5 games but unless he’s getting worse health wise, I’d imagine he stays right around where he is, team relative

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That too. Still getting assists ala Eichel early last year. Edit: And like Eichel, it's obvious something's very wrong with him.

Can’t really comment on whether he should or shouldn’t be in there without knowing all the health details, chances of getting worse, etc. Unfortunately can only judge based on performance and assume the team ices players with the idea they won’t be a damage to themselves. 

Based on performance, and even with a totally healthy roster, VO isn’t being removed from the lineup 

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That was No Goal II. It's revisionist history to say that anyone from the Sabres was complaining before it was too late. Unless you think a sports commissioner should overrule his officials moments before awarding a championship trophy.

Have fun PA.

The thread w/ the reality of what happened that day.  2nd last post on page 6 is what you want to check out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He also said that the following season anyway, a lot of players around the league gave him ***** for the goal and said it shouldn't have counted.

This gives me a few micrograms of happiness.

5 hours ago, nucci said:

Lindy Ruff stayed on the bench ...wanted the play reviewed but refs ignored him

3 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

See my post explaining why Bettman can ***** himself; it cites Jim Kelley's account of that night, including actions taken and not taken by Ruff, Jeany Knox, Bettman, and Bryan Lewis. Jim's account is an important piece of Sabres Bettman NHL Professional Sports history, and upon unsuccessfully searching for it again, I fear it may now be lost.

Anyways, despite my maturation and rationally understanding that this mess is not directly Brett Hull's fault, my irrational fandom will uphold that Hull and the Stars can continue to ***** themselves in perpetuity.  Therefore:

Must win.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Stars this season. 
• Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Dallas 4-1 in Dallas on Jan. 16, 2020.
• Next meeting: Sunday, Feb. 27 in Dallas. 

• The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games against the Stars; 6-4-0 at home. 
• This is the 127th game all-time between Buffalo and Dallas; Buffalo has a 58-51-17 series record. 
• The Sabres are 34-17-11 at home against the Stars all-time.

• Buffalo has won its last two games against Dallas and a win tonight would give the team its first three-game winning streak against the Stars since Oct. 13, 2003 to March 10, 2010 (5-0-0). 
• The Sabres are also seeking consecutive home wins against the Stars for the first time since they won seven straight at home from March 5, 1999 to Feb. 10, 2012. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.