Can The Power Play Be Fixed?

bob_sauve28

34 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

It's been terrible lately. Gave up the shorty to Detroit that led to collapse and now it's falling down the rankings out of the teens into the twenties. What is to be done Sabre Space?

Stop running the pp from the point, run it from below the circles and the goal line, generate more cross ice passes and low to high passes. Rotate players around the zone instead of standing still. Attack the slot. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Stop running the pp from the point, run it from below the circles and the goal line, generate more cross ice passes and low to high passes. Rotate players around the zone instead of standing still. Attack the slot. 

Krebs seems like an obvious choice to run that. He passes very well. But, maybe too soon for him to do that? 

Well this is what you get when you take 2 to 3 players away from it and don't have a set unit to step in. Without Eichel VO is too easy to defend and Dahlin is the only driving force so that's easy to take away or limit as well.  We need the young skilled players to be better before this PP will get better too. 

In the meantime, I'd try putting Tage back on the point in Eichel's old spot rather than down low. He controls space with his reach, has a decent quick shot but more importantly seems to have the best passing skills of our skilled forwards. Have Tuch drive the slot. Cozens in front (or Murray for the size) with Dahlin at the other point. LW is a problem so I guess it's Skinner for now but his passing skills make me want to replace him. Just don't know with who. 

Dahlin, Krebs up high

Olofsson can stay

Quinn gets the other slot because he passes and shoots better than anyone else I just mentioned. 

Net front is, Tuch. 

Dahlin is the only point person, Krebs is on the half wall. Olofsson is on the half wall or in the slot. Quinn plays below the circles, Tuch is in home plate but mostly in front looking for garbage and to help Quinn down low. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin, Krebs up high

Olofsson can stay

Quinn gets the other slot because he passes and shoots better than anyone else I just mentioned. 

Net front is, Tuch. 

Dahlin is the only point person, Krebs is on the half wall. Olofsson is on the half wall or in the slot. Quinn plays below the circles, Tuch is in home plate but mostly in front looking for garbage and to help Quinn down low. 

Mitts will get one of Krebs or Quinn's spot if he ever heals.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin, Krebs up high

Olofsson can stay

Net front is, Tuch. 

You think Quinn passes better than Dahlin and Krebs?

20 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Looks to me like this is what they’ve been trying the past few games.

Skinner and Tuch are being involved more, and Dahlin is rotating deep at time.

Not having the threat of Tage or Victor shooting makes us easier to defend. Especially with Casey out and Dahlin being the only crafty passer.

Quinn as a trigger man who can pass will be dangerous. I just don’t think that will get much of a look until later.

VO, with his shot back, on the opposite half wall, will make teams have to cover 2 shooters. Tuch or Tage can be net front while Casey or Krebs plays the bumper and rotates to the point.

Dahlin has full range to rove high to low.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Something else I wonder that we no longer have is a Sam Reinhart type net front presence.  I miss his ability to deflect shots.  I don't know if we have somebody with that same knack. 

Murray is really good at PP netfront at the AHL level. Surprised he hasn't had more of a look there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.