Currently, I'm not sure defense is a strength

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

I disagree they need to pick one focus to the detriment of other areas. Anyone can copy and paste a prospect ranking and stick to it. The idea you allow a potentially difficult to address positional balance issue to develop because you are a slave to something as random as which player happens to fall to you in a specific spot is absurd. You can’t allow the fortunes of your team to be so highly subject to randomness. 

They can absolutely draft BPA while still manipulating what they can control to ensure a draft that gives you a good shot at addressing positional balance down the road, too

Being a GM is a job. It’s ok to ask our GM to approach the draft with some deft skill rather than just as a computer. The idea is to make up ground on other teams. 

I'm getting confused. I think maybe we are actually arguing for the same thing using different words. 

Available RD's for next year IMO

1. Ilya Lyubushkin from Arizona, Russian who plays steady in the defensive zone and probably can't get out of there quick enough UFA
  2. Jan Rutta from Tampa Bay another defense 1st guy who they probably can't afford UFA
  3. Scott Mayfield from the Islanders, big defense 1st guy, who may be available in a trade if the NYI don't make the playoffs and their prospect pool is light. 1 year after this year on his contract so a trade is needed
  4. Could Tyler Myers make a return. 2 years left on his contract, Vancouver may not make the playoffs again and they're not far from cap hell also. I know I'm going to get killed for this one 😃 but we could do worst than this. Trade needed
  5. I'm also thinking that Bryson may want to move over to the right side, with Samuelsson looking ready and steady in the D zone he'd be able to roam a bit with some backup, although Dahlin and Power could possible move to the right side but why would the Sabres do that??  

Only issue with Rutta is will he be willing to go from a perennial Stanley Cup contender to this place on a 2 year deal?? While the Arizona kid will probably look at this as an upgrade and Mayfield being traded will have little choice. I'm also pretty sure that all of the others are better than Rutta to begin with.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Step 1: Sign Jan Rutta for 2 years

Step 2: draft Jiricek

Step 3: Profit

I think you have to add the bad team tax if they want to sign Rutta, He would be looking for a significant raise and term with the Sabres, probably in the neighborhood of 3-4 years with 3-4 million AAV.  That being said if they are going to draft Jiricek, he would be an excellent mentor for Him and His Offensive and Defensive Metrics are pretty good this year. 

Another RHD I would sign to a short term deal would Troy Stecher, he has a little experience with one of the Sabres Young Defenseman 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.