GDT - Red Wings @ Sabres - January 17, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - SN and MSG-B / WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

How many turnovers before the Larkin scores?  Three? 

Ray is ridiculous with his morale victories.  Shut up Rob, they suck  again.  

What I saw after the 2nd goal was no effort, no shots on goal other than Tuch’s weak breakaway, careless lazy play, too many turnovers in our zone, and a team that looks ready for the season to end.  

Keep Krebs and Quinn and Samuelson away from these guys.  They aren’t going to help anyway.  This team is folding.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I’m really not sure what everyone is outraged about. This season has gone perfectly. There are signs of improvement, they are a ton more entertaining and they are playing with ECHL goalie and at least four players that don’t belong on an NHL roster. I, for one, have enjoyed this season more than the last two by a long shot.

• Like (+1) 1

This team................

Skated well in the first period. Pretty much how you define a low event hockey game, but aside from an anemic PP they were the better team until the third. and the OT was pathetic.

Why is it this team, filled with young players who should be fit and energetic, can't seem to sustain their game for 3 periods? Why do they always look tired at the end? 

Are they in on the tank? Granato want them to play crap at the end of games on purpose? It just boggles the mind how the same thing keeps repeating. 

I'm starting to question what we were sold on Tuch. Underwhelming and he too always looks lethargic and tired in the third. I expected more energy and impact from him. 

Only upside, Samuelson looks ready. A D man who actually plays defense what a concept! Him and Pysyk on the PK was a vast improvement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Outside of a few players I see no persistent Improvment under Granato. They lose the same ways they always have. Tentative. Soft. Gaffes every game. Mentally weak. Not sure if the arrow is heading up yet. 

The W-L records shows no positive trends.  We are dropping in the standings.  

• Like (+1) 1

At the beginning of the season the obvious choices to "not make the playoffs" in the division were Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, and Ottawa. These were the teams to compare to going into 2021-22.

So ends the season series with the "one year ahead" Winged Wheel. Outcome: complete failure, appear well more than one year behind.

Tomorrow begins the season series with the "feisty in 2020" Sens. What shall the outcome be?

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This team................

Skated well in the first period. Pretty much how you define a low event hockey game, but aside from an anemic PP they were the better team until the third. and the OT was pathetic.

Why is it this team, filled with young players who should be fit and energetic, can't seem to sustain their game for 3 periods? Why do they always look tired at the end? 

Are they in on the tank? Granato want them to play crap at the end of games on purpose? It just boggles the mind how the same thing keeps repeating. 

I'm starting to question what we were sold on Tuch. Underwhelming and he too always looks lethargic and tired in the third. I expected more energy and impact from him. 

Only upside, Samuelson looks ready. A D man who actually plays defense what a concept! Him and Pysyk on the PK was a vast improvement. 

I think that having more real estate on the ice with the 3-on-3 format lays bare lesser skilled teams.  For now, at least, we fit into that category.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’m really not sure what everyone is outraged about. This season has gone perfectly. There are signs of improvement, they are a ton more entertaining and they are playing with ECHL goalie and at least four players that don’t belong on an NHL roster. I, for one, have enjoyed this season more than the last two by a long shot.

Give us three signs of improvement from the start of the season to now.

And don’t name the Rochester kids cause they haven’t helped at all with the exception of UPL.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

At this point Donny G is becoming as responsible as the players for these games. Their mental fortitude is straight garbage. No killer instinct. 

Speaking of only the OT specifically, there's an element there for me of "don't hate the player, hate the game" - it's a dumb format that often comes down to a team's ability to win a face off specifically. But Granato didn't throw anyone out who had a 50/50 FO percentage today who could have conceivably won a draw - so I do hold coach accountable to an extent, today. 

Cozens give away on goal 2 was also quite poor 

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

He took a Canucks team that was dead and buried with a tombstone on top back from the dead. I mean seriously?

My apologies.  I should have removed his name and substituted it with "any coach."  The players have to overcome their fragileness themselves.  We keep recycling coaches and GMs, yet these mental collapses keep recurring.  Talent is obviously an issue, but, at some point, the players in that room have to develop mental toughness.

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

At the beginning of the season the obvious choices to "not make the playoffs" in the division were Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, and Ottawa. These were the teams to compare to going into 2021-22.

So ends the season series with the "one year ahead" Winged Wheel. Outcome: complete failure, appear well more than one year behind.

Tomorrow begins the season series with the "feisty in 2020" Sens. What shall the outcome be?

Probably should throw a bit of water for the time being on the, "we'll put the kids in next year and watch the explosion happen" type thinking. We aren't going to put in Quinn and Peterka and suddenly be a good team. Our F unit today was a pretty reasonable approximation of what we'll see next year - at least much closer to what we've been seeing with all the absences. 

If Adams doesn't try to supplement quality players from outside the organization and stands firm on the ultra-patient approach - the timeline to competitiveness will be a fair bit longer than some are projecting, IMO, should the plan work out 

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I think that having more real estate on the ice with the 3-on-3 format lays bare lesser skilled teams.  For now, at least, we fit into that category.

Oh definitely. OT is for Eichel types and we don't have those guys any more. Tage is our best forward this year but he's not an open ice guy, he's had success using that reach and size in traffic. OT is all about possession and speed. Only Dahlin is a decent OT player for us. 

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Give us three signs of improvement from the start of the season to now.

And don’t name the Rochester kids cause they haven’t helped at all with the exception of UPL.  

1. Tage.

That's all I got. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.