Peters Says to Expect Major Changes to the Organization Before End of Season

Flashsabre

30 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It goes back to my original contention of what happens next. I think they have that guy already in Kevyn. Connected locally and league-wide. Played, coached & managed. 

I am not the Pegula family banker, but I’ll die on the hill of they don’t need to cash anything out and there won’t be any ownership adjustments. 

I'm not talking about a person to run the hockey operations at all.

And the Pegulas' motivation would not be to get a new person in charge. It would be about getting a cash injection to help with their ambitious capital projects.

Giving some control to this new person/firm would be the price they would have to pay to get that cash. It could be an equity firm purely looking for a return on investment, or it could be a well-heeled individual wanting into the NHL circle.

In either case, the investor would be looking at this as an opportunity to make money by investing in a depreciated asset with growth potential. In either case, they would want a certain level of control over business decisions in order to realize their return — what is done to sell tickets and sponsorships and jerseys, produce content and marketing campaigns, manage administration etc., in order to maximize team revenue and value.

It would happen if, and only if, each side is comfortable with the amounts of control and cash being shifted.

• Like (+1) 2

Now I understand.

I brought it back to the new person in charge to keep in line with my POV on the topic.  I don’t believe the Pegulas want or need to raise cash from the hockey team. But this does bring up a curiousity about how much debt the team is carrying. 

The ambitious projects you’re referring to are the stadium and potentially the arena upgrade, correct? Were there other stated projects they’re believed to be involved in?

I just find it hard to believe they will sell a stake in the Sabres to finance their portion of a football stadium.  

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Now I understand.

I brought it back to the new person in charge to keep in line with my POV on the topic.  I don’t believe the Pegulas want or need to raise cash from the hockey team. But this does bring up a curiousity about how much debt the team is carrying. 

The ambitious projects you’re referring to are the stadium and potentially the arena upgrade, correct? Were there other stated projects they’re believed to be involved in?

I just find it hard to believe they will sell a stake in the Sabres to finance their portion of a football stadium.  

Yes.

The last is fair comment. Personally, I don’t find it hard to believe.

What do you think Peters might be referring to?

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have no idea what you mean. When has Terry pulled the plug on any regime too soon? All I ever read here was Pegula didn't fire people fast enough!

Imo it has been Terrys m.o. to burn through gms and coaches. Every time they have a regime change its a reset. You don’t see it that way fine. I do. I suppose if just once in the last ten or so years he had been successful as an owner we may have had some calm but it hasn’t been like that. He has been an absolute failure as an owner, again imo.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Imo it has been Terrys m.o. to burn through gms and coaches. Every time they have a regime change its a reset. You don’t see it that way fine. I do. I suppose if just once in the last ten or so years he had been successful as an owner we may have had some calm but it hasn’t been like that. He has been an absolute failure as an owner, again imo.

No I agree when he makes a change it's a reset. But when has he done that with a coach in year one? The way I read your post was it's his m.o. to make changes quickly. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No I agree when he makes a change it's a reset. But when has he done that with a coach in year one? The way I read your post was it's his m.o. to make changes quickly. 

Sorry for not being clear I was mostly talking about changing it up in general not necessarily for Meatballs. 

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well if the NHL will allow investment groups to buy a minority stake in a franchise, what's to stop a group of, say, Sabres fans from forming such a group and selling shares?

Good paying jobs, and a feeling in the back of your head that maybe the Sabres are not a Financially sound investment?

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well if the NHL will allow investment groups to buy a minority stake in a franchise, what's to stop a group of, say, Sabres fans from forming such a group and selling shares?

Well, if the Sabres are looking to sell, say, 25% of the team at a $300MM valuation, that's $75MM to be raised from a group of Sabres fans.

There's also the fact that the NHL has to approve any new investor, and almost certainly wouldn't approve a group of 500 random fans.

Sooooooo...

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, if the Sabres are looking to sell, say, 25% of the team at a $300MM valuation, that's $75MM to be raised from a group of Sabres fans.

There's also the fact that the NHL has to approve any new investor, and almost certainly wouldn't approve a group of 500 random fans.

Sooooooo...

It's only $150 each. I'm in.

Not to frack a dry hole, but how did Terry join the pantheon of league owners? He was a fan with money.

23 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's only $150 each. I'm in.

Not to frack a dry hole, but how did Terry join the pantheon of league owners? He was a fan with money.

I think you are missing a few 0’s.  It would be $150,000 each from 500 people to collect $75M.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think you are missing a few 0’s.  It would be $150,000 each from 500 people to collect $75M.

Add a zero to the 500 people part of it and I'm in for $15,000

All I want to do is design the hats and shirts for the shop. You guys can figure out the hockey stuff.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, nfreeman said:

Sooooooo...

Is there a rule that says one group has to own all 25%? Why can't a fan investment group on 5%? 3%? As for the NHL, they would need to give a reason why one group is okay but not another.

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is there a rule that says one group has to own all 25%? Why can't a fan investment group on 5%? 3%? As for the NHL, they would need to give a reason why one group is okay but not another.

Even 2.5% would be $7.5MM.  And more importantly:  the Sabres wouldn't sell 2.5% to a fan group and the NHL wouldn't approve it.

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Well, there is a name being floated around town for purchasing the Sabres. Joe Tsai.

I’m skeptical but word doesn’t sound great about the Pegula’s long term commitment to Buffalo (The city in general).

I don't want this to sound like an accusation, but who's word? 

Also, I wonder why Joe Tsai would want the Sabres

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.