The Return of Ole Sugar Packets

Thwomp!

So sick of these owners. Don't think for a second they won't do anything for a buck. Look at what they've done to this franchise afterall.

WKBW-TV: Bills owner Terry Pegula receives stimulus check, report says.
https://www.wkbw.com/news/i-team/bills-owner-terry-pegula-receives-stimulus-check-report-says

• Like (+1) 1

Well, the checks were sent out automatically, and there is zero info in that article as to whether TP or any of the other evil, horrible rich guys mentioned in t actually cashed their checks, donated them to charity, etc.  So I don't think it makes sense to get the torches and pitchforks out just yet.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

So sick of these owners. Don't think for a second they won't do anything for a buck. Look at what they've done to this franchise afterall.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/i-team/bills-owner-terry-pegula-receives-stimulus-check-report-says

I would bet every owner in all the leagues found ways to get their checks. This is a non- story

Obviously there are some loopholes in our tax system that allow billionaires to be taxed like ordinary folks, but I don't blame the Pegulas for this and I dont think it has anything to do with how they run their professional sports franchises.  I also don't think that their failures with the Sabres are tied try trying to make a buck.  They have tried a number of different ways to make the team successful (including handing out large contracts to star players), but nothing has worked yet.  I think the current course looks promising.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I would bet every owner in all the leagues found ways to get their checks. This is a non- story

False, you lost the best. One other owner named in there. These are the checks for married couples making less than 150K, not business. Read the article.

2 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Why do you care if Terry received a stimulus check?

4 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

False, you lost the best. One other owner named in there. These are the checks for married couples making less than 150K, not business. Read the article.

So they made less than a 150k last year? Which they very well may have giving the revenue generated by their teams, they may not have taken a salary.

edit,

Everybody that reported less than 150k got a check as long as they have a SS number. That includes prisoners. The stupidity of that can't be held against the recipient.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, the checks were sent out automatically, and there is zero info in that article as to whether TP or any of the other evil, horrible rich guys mentioned in t actually cashed their checks, donated them to charity, etc.  So I don't think it makes sense to get the torches and pitchforks out just yet.

It's a good thing we haven't put the torches and pitchforks away yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:43 PM, msw2112 said:

Obviously there are some loopholes in our tax system that allow billionaires to be taxed like ordinary folks

If you mean a tax structure designed to make the rich much, much richer, then I agree with you.  And every attempt to remedy the inequity is framed as a tax increase with the implication that "normal" people will also see their taxes go up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.