Rank the Sabres defenders

LGR4GM

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The truth about of D group is that they are simply bad.  As a group they are terrible at handling the four check and clearing the zone.  They get physically manhandled, make stupid passes and the stats reflect the issues.  They give up the 4th most shots per game and are near the bottom in high danger chances allowed.  If someone can find our opponents time is our zone, I’m also sure it near the bottom of the league. 

The point of this exercise is to put Dahlin on top of the rubbish heap and validate LGR's opinion.

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The point of this exercise is to put Dahlin on top of the rubbish heap and validate LGR's opinion.

What an obnoxious comment. Most of what you post towards me is obnoxious so I shouldn't be surprised about this. 

Edited by LGR4GM

The better question about our D is who in the current lineup would actually get ice time on a good team and where would they play.

Dahlin - would be a second pair player and PP QB

Jokiharju - 3rd pairing RHD

Bryson - 6 -7

Pysyk - 7th D

Hagg, Butcher, and Miller - none would see ice time on a good team.

Ultimately we have 2 guys who'd play for a good team. 2!  

I'm optimistic on Power, Samuelsson and Johnson, but think Johnson needs a minimum of one year in the A.  

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin - top pairing 

Power - projected top pairing

Jokiharju - top 4

Samuelsson - projected top 4

Johnson - projected 3-5

Bryson - 4-5

hagg/Pysyk/Miller - NHL 3rd pairing

Butcher/Fitzgerald - NHL spare

Prow/Schuldt/Davidson/Laaksonen - AHL depth

I'm using the above as my template:

1st Line: Dahlin/Jokiharju

2nd Line: Power/Bryson

3rd Line: Samuelsson/Miller

4th Line: Hagg/Fitzgerald

The rest would look better as AHL depth to me.  Prow and Butcher are last resorts only.  It's a thin group to be sure, but it's just the beginning of this rebuild.  If KA does this correctly, there will be no shortcuts.

16 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I'm using the above as my template:

1st Line: Dahlin/Jokiharju

2nd Line: Power/Bryson

3rd Line: Samuelsson/Miller

4th Line: Hagg/Fitzgerald

The rest would look better as AHL depth to me.  Prow and Butcher are last resorts only.  It's a thin group to be sure, but it's just the beginning of this rebuild.  If KA does this correctly, there will be no shortcuts.

Miller going to be a UFA so he’s likely to be traded at the deadline this year. Possibly Butcher too if anyone wants him.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The solution is to move on from everyone not named Samuelsson, Dahlin and Jokiharju, add Power and find two veteran D who can actually play defense.  Want Psysk back on the 3rd pair ok maybe, but a minimum of one veteran real good in zone D is a necessity.

Ok, Curt?

Cena Ooo GIF

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The truth about of D group is that they are simply bad.  As a group they are terrible at handling the four check and clearing the zone.  They get physically manhandled, make stupid passes and the stats reflect the issues.  They give up the 4th most shots per game and are near the bottom in high danger chances allowed.  If someone can find our opponents time is our zone, I’m also sure it near the bottom of the league. 

Dude, I think you are forgetting - we *won* yesterday! 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The better question about our D is who in the current lineup would actually get ice time on a good team and where would they play.

Bryson - 6 -7

Pysyk - 7th D

I'm optimistic on Power, Samuelsson and Johnson, but think Johnson needs a minimum of one year in the A.  

Except Miller saw regular ice time with two good playoff teams.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

He'll look alot better with a better cast around him.

Much like the rest of this roster.

He's #4 in ATOI for the Sabres. That's one pairing too high for a playoff team. However, I don't think Miller is going to garner a 2nd this year, which my standard deadline trade currency for a meaningful veteran rental. Maybe a 3rd... maybe.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

He's #4 in ATOI for the Sabres. That's one pairing too high for a playoff team. However, I don't think Miller is going to garner a 2nd this year, which my standard deadline trade currency for a meaningful veteran rental. Maybe a 3rd... maybe.

Right shot, playoff experience and can play the PP. All things GMs are usually trying to add at the deadline.

He should get a 3rd.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Right shot, playoff experience and can play the PP. All things GMs are usually trying to add at the deadline.

He should get a 3rd.

I mean... we could always ship him for a 4th weeks in advance only to see another team deal him for a 2nd.

But, I don't think he's asked to be more than a 5/6 or depth on another roster. There will be tons of better rentals available this deadline.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Bryson - 6 -7

Pysyk - 7th D

Attached is the rankings by points for left handed dmen (couldn’t find a better way to sort which side they played on) Dahlin comes in at 14 on the list. He also has been playing a much more responsible game and has been playing like a first pairing guy. I can see the argument that he is a number 2, but I don’t really see the argument that he’s a 2nd pairing player. With better teammates, he’d likely be much higher on the stats sheet. I don’t think there’s a team out there with 3 better dmen than Dahlin, and there might not be a team out there with 2 better Dmen out there than Dahlin. 

Joki I view as a solid 2nd pairing guy, but his partner needs to also be a capable 2nd line guy for it to be an effective pairing. I agree that he does not belong on the first pairing. Miller is a fine 3rd pairing guy.

A5EC7A1D-A6B0-427E-8843-1D14F7F0522A.png

9 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Winner!

Here is the true list! 

Dahlin is alone at the top, for now. 

Joki and Pysyk occupy the second rank as good, solid, reliably, un-flashy but very valuable defenders. 

Bryson is just a notch below but (hopefully) getting better. 

Miller is good. Not sure why he is so hated. 

Hagg is serviceable, not a major liability and I would be happy to have him as a seventh defensemen 

Butcher is not so good,. 

I have no idea how good--or bad--Power and/or Johnson will be. Samuelson looked really good the brief time he was here, I'd probably rate him at Bryson level to start, but he obviously has an upside 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.