Wilson

Huddy

O'Hurley

Campbell

Afinogenov

Ramsey

Edwards

Spacek

Don’t forget the old days, having lots of hard minutes in those early days.  Guys who wanted to play and get a shot - Jim Watson, Doug Barrie, Alan Hamilton, and Paul Terbenche.  None became stars, but they did play hard.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Don’t forget the old days, having lots of hard minutes in those early days.  Guys who wanted to play and get a shot - Jim Watson, Doug Barrie, Alan Hamilton, and Paul Terbenche.  None became stars, but they did play hard.  

When Pimlach and PA talk old days I think....

horrible histories gym GIF by CBBC

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Power

Dahlin     

Jokiharju   
Fitzgerald
Pysek
Miller

Bryson
Prow
Butcher

Each grouping about equal. Not ranking the Rochester guys who haven't played up this year. Just haven't seen them. Power isn't the best yet, but he will be. Eventual Norris trophy winner, hopefully as a Sabre. 

Jokiharju is younger than Fitzgerald and playing on our first pairing while Fitzgerald is still in the A. You really think they are in the same tier?

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Name the defensive stalwart on our team?  Butcher, Miller, Dahlin? What about Hagg, Jokiharju, Bryson or Pysyk?  Pysyk is the best defensive D man on this roster and he is a journeyman at best and a maybe bottom pairing guy on a good team.  Jokiharju is next and at best he is inconsistent.  The rest range from mediocre to down right awful.  

It’s probable that the best defenseman in this organization is sitting in Rochester for logical reasons unknown and his name is Samuelsson. 

One of the reasons our goaltending stinks is that guys playing defense in front of them stink at playing defense.  

The solution is to move on from everyone not named Samuelsson, Dahlin and Jokiharju, add Power and find two veteran D who can actually play defense.  Want Psysk back on the 3rd pair ok maybe, but a minimum of one veteran real good in zone D is a necessity.

Ok, Curt?

and @Let's Go B-Lo

The question was to rank the Sabres defensemen, including prospects if you like, using any criteria that you see fit.

You responded with a snide non-answer.  It does not contribute to the conversation about which defensemen we value most highly.

Then I read a second non-answer immediately after, so I responded.  Don’t get bent out of shape about it.

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Jokiharju is younger than Fitzgerald and playing on our first pairing while Fitzgerald is still in the A. You really think they are in the same tier?

My interpretation: He views players through a lens of how much he perceives them to play the game “the right way” which to me loosely means “like the Bruins.”

It’s as valid a viewpoint as any.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:15 PM, PASabreFan said:

The point of this exercise is to put Dahlin on top of the rubbish heap and validate LGR's opinion.

I put Dahlin at the top as well.   It’s pretty easy to see that he is so much better than anyone else back there. 

Yes, he has made a lot of mental errors.  Lots of minutes, lots of losing, high expectations, and playing with a bunch of bums will do that.  His early struggles came when Joker got hurt and they paired him with Butcher.  That was bad.  

I think Dahlin has been really solid recently.  No qualms with him as an All Star either.   He is still 21 and he is starting to get a bit edgier too.  Still have high hopes. I don’t get why 'he is not more popular?  

After Dahlin and Joker we give Samuelsson a shot.   Power will be playing next year too.  This group needs veteran knowledge, leadership, grit, and support.  

I still favor adding two good vets next season to round out the 6.  

Bryson and Pisser (maybe if we only bring in one vet) make the roster for  7/8 next season.  Heck, let Fitz compete too, he looks like a gamer.  Johnson goes to the AHL for seasoning. 

Miller is tradable at the deadline, so is Hagg.   Stockpile picks and let our analytics guys find something. 

Go Bills!   Go Sabres!  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Yes, from what I saw in the games Fitzgerald played up here I didn't see much difference in terms of ranking. They are different, but I see a lot of flaws in Jokiharju's game and do not think he is a top pairing guy. 5/6 at best. 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Finally had all the guys back and healthy last game and they played great against a really good team. Maybe they are not that bad when healthy. Just need more depth 

We have been saying that for a decade.  Ask yourself, if the Sabres become a good team, which current D would you honestly believe will still be on the team?  For me that answer is simple, the only two guys under contract for next year, Dahlin and Jokiharju.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have been saying that for a decade.  Ask yourself, if the Sabres become a good team, which current D would you honestly believe will still be on the team?  For me that answer is simple, the only two guys under contract for next year, Dahlin and Jokiharju.

Pretty sure we said it from game one

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.