2022 NHL Draft Lottery

gilbert11

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I think as long as Buffalo is perceived as a place where winning now isn’t likely good veterans won’t sign here

Let's wait until he's actually failed to bring in a goalie for the 3rd strike in 3 tries before we absolve his failure to hit the pitch a 3rd time.

Adams should not be given a pass if he paraphrases Jauron: It's hard to find goalies in the NHL.  <_<

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They have a bunch of 2nd round picks in next year's draft.  They have prospects that they might not see as fitting LT, one of which might get paired up w/ one of those picks.  There's plenty of ways for a savvy go getter w/ a great analytics team to figure out how to bring in an ACTUAL NHL quality netminder that still has something left in the tank.

But no way should Adams be given an excuse already w/ ~50 games to go this season to not fix the goaltending this offf-season.

I’d be happy to entertain any trade scenarios for a top notch goalie that you or anyone can offer. I honestly don’t know how often 2nd round picks can be used as trade bait for top notch goalies. Nor do I know how often a bevy of 750k jags have been used to entice a team to trade us a good goalie prospect. 

Again, I’m not offering any excuse for Adams; I only offer the stark reality of the situation. 

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Let's wait until he's actually failed to bring in a goalie for the 3rd strike in 3 tries before we absolve his failure to hit the pitch a 3rd time.

Adams should not be given a pass if he paraphrases Jauron: It's hard to find goalies in the NHL.  <_<

How would we ever know that he failed to bring in a good veteran goalie?  For all we know he’s tried multiple times.

Ive said before, the biggest detriment to bringing in good veteran players is the GM stated requirement that he’s only considering players that want to be here.  Players just don’t want to be here, with outliers obviously (OK Tuch, one outlier).

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’d be happy to entertain any trade scenarios for a top notch goalie that you or anyone can offer. I honestly don’t know how often 2nd round picks can be used as trade bait for top notch goalies. Nor do I know how often a bevy of 750k jags have been used to entice a team to trade us a good goalie prospect. 

Again, I’m not offering any excuse for Adams; I only offer the stark reality of the situation. 

Please show us where anyone said "top notch."  That would be ideal, but just actual mother ####### NHL quality is absolutely required.

Also, please show where $750k JAG was suggested as bringing in the goalie upgrade they need.

But, you aren't offering excuses ...

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Please show us where anyone said "top notch."  That would be ideal, but just actual mother ####### NHL quality is absolutely required.

Also, please show where $750k JAG was suggested as bringing in the goalie upgrade they need.

But, you aren't offering excuses ...

So, not a top notch goalie then? Ok, here’s to hoping Adams can bring in a middling net minder then.

I’m the one who suggested the 750k JAG as a way of illustrating we don’t have much more than those plus those 2nd round picks your mentioned as trade bait. Point is, I don’t think we have much to offer in the way of trade assets. 

And no, I’m not offering excuses. Not sure why you keep insisting on that and want to pick a fight here. I think we both agree that we want and need better goaltending next season, regardless. 

Have a good evening. Enjoy the Bills win over the evil empire.

Edited by K-9

One thing Adams has figured out is that with a young team the goalie position is the easiest way to a subtle tank. And thats what this is. Its also the quickest way to build back to respectability when you are done tanking. Fill one position. Lets be real a top 3 pick is the goal here with #1 overall best case scenario. If he goes into next season with the same plan a full on fan revolt is in order. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bunomatic said:

One thing Adams has figured out is that with a young team the goalie position is the easiest way to a subtle tank. And thats what this is. Its also the quickest way to build back to respectability when you are done tanking. Fill one position. Lets be real a top 3 pick is the goal here with #1 overall best case scenario. If he goes into next season with the same plan a full on fan revolt is in order. 

Yup. If GM Sheevyn pulls the same garbage $750K goalie approach next season, then any UFA skater will rightfully stay away. Any Sabres RFA will rightfully say "I'm open to offer sheets, and only minimal years from Buffalo".

There are 32 starting goalie spots in the NHL. This offseason, GM Sheevyn needs to offer 3x$5M to the world of UFA goalies. Are any of the UFAs available the answer? Nope! But blocking-schmocking. Get a goalie who is better than UPL today and for the next couple years to give the team a chance to grow and build. And if UPL beats him out? Excellent! If not, that stinks, but at least Levi/Portillo will be on the way. But don't go for Bedard. You go for Bedard and the brand-new young core will also start to want out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. If GM Sheevyn pulls the same garbage $750K goalie approach next season, then any UFA skater will rightfully stay away. Any Sabres RFA will rightfully say "I'm open to offer sheets, and only minimal years from Buffalo".

There are 32 starting goalie spots in the NHL. This offseason, GM Kevyn needs to offer 3x$5M to the world of UFA goalies. Are any of the UFAs available the answer? Nope! But blocking-schmocking. Get a goalie who is better than UPL today and for the next couple years to give the team a chance to grow and build. And if UPL beats him out? Excellent! If not, that stinks, but at least Levi/Portillo will be on the way. But don't go for Bedard. You go for Bedard and the brand-new young core will also start to want out.

He did that last year and all the goalies said no. 

Also the gm Sheevyn thing is lame af

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He did that last year and all the goalies said no. 

I think last year's goalie UFA class was slightly diluted by the expansion draft. The Sabres put also all their eggs in the Ullmark basket. This year's UFA goalie class is also fairly dull, but they'll be able to entice someone with shorter term and higher salary because they will need to spend some money to get to the cap floor.

As to Sheevyn, the coincidental storylines of 10 years to pull a leadership coup were simply too good to pass up, and since I've already put plenty of time and effort into the character that is Ebriate whose goal is to bring levity and the occasional smile to these dark times, I can hardly stop now. The good news is that we're through the fall of one Chosen One Jackikin Eichwalker and we're soon to begin the feel good times of the Original Trilogy storyline.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

Preach Taro 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 1/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, Taro T said:

So we're already excusing Adams for not addressing goaltending for a THIRD time in three years?

Going into next season w/ nothing more than UPL & Tokarski would be a huge mistake IMHO.

I’m confident that they will find a good vet to partner up with UPL next season 

Sure Sabres arent at the top of the list for a lot of UFA but how many teams can offer the guy $$ and a chance to play 30 - 40 games ? 

On 1/15/2022 at 8:38 AM, K-9 said:

That assumes a good goalie free agent prospect can be lured to Buffalo simply by the money. A good goalie free agent prospect stands to receive offers from several teams and the money may not be the determining factor in his decision to sign or not. 

That’s why we ended up with a 40 year old Anderson.

On 1/16/2022 at 3:34 PM, LGR4GM said:

Agree. Making up "pet" names for players or management is a bit 3rd grade-ish. Plus it actually makes the post a little harder to read. This and calling Jack eichel "john".. When the rest of the world calls him jack.. just seems a little childish to me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

That’s why we ended up with a 40 year old Anderson.

Yep. Slim pickins for sure.

I don’t understand how we can slam everything that’s wrong with the organization to explain why free agents won’t want to come here and in the next breath expect that a good free agent goalie automatically would. Makes no sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Agree. Making up "pet" names for players or management is a bit 3rd grade-ish. Plus it actually makes the post a little harder to read. This and calling Jack eichel "john".. When the rest of the world calls him jack.. just seems a little childish to me.

Can't argue any of that. But I've made thousands of posts concerning a franchise that hasn't been relevant, and rarely even competitive, in 10 years -- I can no longer make any claims on reasonable adult thinking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.