IF the Sabres were to get Shane Wright

LGR4GM

Shane Wright  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Shane Wright for the 2022 season?

• Leave him in the OHL since he lost the entire 2020 season due to Covid
    • Immediately sign him to the Sabres and get him ready to make the team out of camp
    • Sign him but let him know you plan to give him 9 games or less and return him to the OHL
    • I refuse to answer because I am unsure of how he will look
    • Other, comment below

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’ve seen very, very little of Wright and most of that is just highlights from Frontenac games so I have no feel for him as a player. But what tiny amount I have seen leaves me underwhelmed. What am I missing here? Why all the hype?

Me neither. Anyone know if he’s just like a better Reinhart?

Strangely the first thing I thought of was all the criticism that Edmonton got for getting the first overall picks in 2010, 2011, 2012, and then 2015 and then still sucking year after year.

I know that we're not in the same place and that the Sabres current plan may translate to a better future.

Sure having another 1st overall pick can't hurt this team (would be happy to get Wright).  Lots of young players are being penciled into the 2022-23 lineup and I still wonder how they will manage overall next season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You missed my point. I'm saying that if we got Wright, you now have Wright Cozens Tage Krebs so I'd move Mitts out for toughness in some form. I think Tage has shown he is a center and I want him to stay there. Just work on his face offs. 

I keep Wright in junior for the final year where we let him build his size and maturity and be ready for the year after. Rushing kids is never a good idea. I'm speeding up the rebuild by doing it properly. 

I didn't miss your point--the Sabres don't have Wright Cozens Tage Krebs if Wright is in the OHL.  If the Sabres get Wright, then IF/WHEN he makes the big club, it's time to make trades.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I didn't miss your point--the Sabres don't have Wright Cozens Tage Krebs if Wright is in the OHL.  If the Sabres get Wright, then IF/WHEN he makes the big club, it's time to make trades.

I'm not sure people appreciate the amount of depth you need to accumulate to avoid being the team that's always saying, "what could we have done? Injuries!". You move Mittelstadt to W if you come up with 4 centres better. You don't trade him away anticipating you've filled our roster with the minimum amount of players possible. 

A lesser depth winger can be moved if Casey needs a spot. It's what we always say, centres can easily be moved to W. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm not sure people appreciate the amount of depth you need to accumulate to avoid being the team that's always saying, "what could we have done? Injuries!". You move Mittelstadt to W if you come up with 4 centres better. You don't trade him away anticipating you've filled our roster with the minimum amount of players possible. 

A lesser depth winger can be moved if Casey needs a spot. It's what we always say, centres can easily be moved to W. 

Drury, Briere, Roy, Connolly, Hecht

• Like (+1) 2

100% he goes back to the OHL.  He isn’t dominating the league at all, so another year won’t do him harm 

in 2023/24 he can show he is ready for the NHL he stays otherwise to the AHL for at least half the season

what’s interesting, is that he was granted exceptional status, so he was in CHL at 15. 
 Can he go to AHL next season? Or does the loss of year due to covid mean he has to wait an extra year ? 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

100% he goes back to the OHL.  He isn’t dominating the league at all, so another year won’t do him harm 

in 2023/24 he can show he is ready for the NHL he stays otherwise to the AHL for at least half the season

what’s interesting, is that he was granted exceptional status, so he was in CHL at 15. 
 Can he go to AHL next season? Or does the loss of year due to covid mean he has to wait an extra year ? 

Name the last 1st overall pick that went to junior and then the AHL

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Name the last 1st overall pick that went to junior and then the AHL

The same was said about Power going back to Michigan 
2020 -Lafrenière Should have   Byfield who was drafted 2 - did 

the answer is Marc Andre Fleury 

He missed a full season last year due to the cancellation of the OHL, he’s played 20 games this year  so he certainly needs more game experience   

im not predicting he will play in AHL but I’d wouldn’t hesitate to put him there if he isn’t NHL ready 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why not just move him to wing? Can never have too many centers.

Move which one to wing? Mitts or Wright?   

To me Wright is your future Bergeron so he would become (in time) your number one C.  Then Tage, then Cozens and Krebs. Mitts as a winger maybe, but for me he doesn't really fit and the team as whole could be better by getting a different kind of player for him. 

Just to be clear not suggesting trading him for picks or prospects. Talking about for a here and now player if that situation did occur which I doubt it will.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Well ya, I meant when those guys are ready and on the team. I'm being optimistic and seeing Mitts as the 5th best center in that list. 

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Move which one to wing? Mitts or Wright?   

To me Wright is your future Bergeron so he would become (in time) your number one C.  Then Tage, then Cozens and Krebs. Mitts as a winger maybe, but for me he doesn't really fit and the team as whole could be better by getting a different kind of player for him. 

Just to be clear not suggesting trading him for picks or prospects. Talking about for a here and now player if that situation did occur which I doubt it will.

Well ya, I meant when those guys are ready and on the team. I'm being optimistic and seeing Mitts as the 5th best center in that list. 

Mitts. I think he would make a much better wing, but could still fill in if needed.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Mitts. I think he would make a much better wing, but could still fill in if needed.

He's a playmaker. Not good on the wall, not good back checking. Not really a sniper either. Don't see it myself. 

If you want to go that way Cozens makes a better winger, but I like him where he is. I still see him as a ROR type down the road. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's a playmaker. Not good on the wall, not good back checking. Not really a sniper either. Don't see it myself. 

If you want to go that way Cozens makes a better winger, but I like him where he is. I still see him as a ROR type down the road. 

I  wouldn't move him, in any case.

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You missed my point. I'm saying that if we got Wright, you now have Wright Cozens Tage Krebs so I'd move Mitts out for toughness in some form. I think Tage has shown he is a center and I want him to stay there. Just work on his face offs. 

I keep Wright in junior for the final year where we let him build his size and maturity and be ready for the year after. Rushing kids is never a good idea. I'm speeding up the rebuild by doing it properly. 

You are really counting those eggs.

Wright hasn’t played a pro game, or even dominated a junior season.  Tage has looked like an NHL player for half a season.  Krebs hasn’t proven that he is going to be a good NHL C.  Cozens has looked as good playing W as C, for the most part.  I think Mittelstadt might have the highest offensive upside out of all of them.

These guys are unproven.    Some of them can play wing as well.  Having too many good forwards who can play C is not an issue, and it’s certainly not a problem that the Sabres currently suffer from.  You need center depth.  The Sabres need as many eggs as they can get, because they aren’t all going to hatch.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, SwampD said:

Mitts does have a snipe - I've long thought he'd be the one best shifted to W. Cozens I see manning the C of the ice ideally with his 200ft game. 

Forwards go wherever in the O zone. Positions are more about when defending - Cozens should be at C and Casey would be better served defensively with less responsibility 

But honestly, like @Curtsaid, it's barely worth worrying about at this time. 

Edited by Thorny

13 hours ago, Curt said:

You are really counting those eggs.

Wright hasn’t played a pro game, or even dominated a junior season.  Tage has looked like an NHL player for half a season.  Krebs hasn’t proven that he is going to be a good NHL C.  Cozens has looked as good playing W as C, for the most part.  I think Mittelstadt might have the highest offensive upside out of all of them.

These guys are unproven.    Some of them can play wing as well.  Having too many good forwards who can play C is not an issue, and it’s certainly not a problem that the Sabres currently suffer from.  You need center depth.  The Sabres need as many eggs as they can get, because they aren’t all going to hatch.

I am being optimistic.

Yes, you need as many as possible at all positions, but you can't have that, so if you end up with too many at one position that's when you deal.

I KNOW some first overall picks are able to play in the NHL right away, but I almost wish everyone could play in the AHL for a while.  The AHL is a stepping stone form college/juniors to the NHL, an increase in speed and strength compared to what they are used to, but yet not as big of a jump to the NHL.

Guys like Eichel, McDavid, McKinnon, Dahlin may have been talented enough for the NHL right away, but that doesn't mean that a short stint in the AHL may not have helped their 'long term' game even more.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

So if Sabres win the lottery, would this be enough to pry McDavid from Oilers?

1st overall Shane Wright

2023 2nd rd pick

Mitts

Bjork

Johnson

No that's not even in the ballpark. 

1st overall, Cozens, 1 of Dahlin or Power, Samuelsson or Johnson, probably Quinn or Krebs, and your 1st in 2023 unprotected. 

If I was Edmonton and seriously doing this...

1st overall in 2022 and draft Wright

Owen Power because he's young, good, Canadian 

Ryan Johnson because it gives you a depth defender

Peyton Krebs because western Canada and c/w top 6 potential

Cozens because western Canada and c/w top 6 potential 

2023 unprotected first

That's my ask

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No that's not even in the ballpark. 

1st overall, Cozens, 1 of Dahlin or Power, Samuelsson or Johnson, probably Quinn or Krebs, and your 1st in 2023 unprotected. 

If I was Edmonton and seriously doing this...

1st overall in 2022 and draft Wright

Owen Power because he's young, good, Canadian 

Ryan Johnson because it gives you a depth defender

Peyton Krebs because western Canada and c/w top 6 potential

Cozens because western Canada and c/w top 6 potential 

2023 unprotected first

That's my ask

If I was Edmonton I would take that trade in a heart beat. 

The Sabres would be re-set roster wise back to 2019.

That would be one of the dumbest moves KA could make.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.