IF the Sabres were to get Shane Wright

LGR4GM

Shane Wright  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Shane Wright for the 2022 season?

• Leave him in the OHL since he lost the entire 2020 season due to Covid
    • Immediately sign him to the Sabres and get him ready to make the team out of camp
    • Sign him but let him know you plan to give him 9 games or less and return him to the OHL
    • I refuse to answer because I am unsure of how he will look
    • Other, comment below

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

If I was Edmonton I would take that trade in a heart beat. 

The Sabres would be re-set roster wise back to 2019.

That would be one of the dumbest moves KA could make.

Yup, but if you're Edmonton trading the best player in hockey, you're asking for a boatload. Maybe one of the pieces gets downgraded but that would be my ask if I'm Edmonton.  Maybe the 2023 1st becomes a 2nd instead. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Feels like it's been a decade that this team has selected 8th or better.   They should be upper echelon but they're bottom feeders.  Sad.

Weird thing is that we’re projecting to have only one flat-out bad player in the bunch:

• Franchise centre: Eichel
  • Top pairing defenceman: Dahlin, Power*
  • Top six forward: Reinhart, Mitts*, Cozens*, Quinn*
  • Top 4 defenceman: Risto
  • Bust: Nylander

Tells me two things: takes more time than we think for these kids to find themselves; we’ve done an abysmal job of finding talent to support them.

Look at Florida. Their fans must have been saying the same things a few years ago. Time and a better supporting cast and nobody is pointing fingers at Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad any more.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We're gonna miss the playoffs so it's just up to the lottery, it's not a tank and I'll repeat it ad nauseum if needed. 

Call it what you want, but having a roster at the cap floor, hiring goaltenders like Anderson and Dell, coupled with JAGS Subban, Hayden, Hagg, Butcher, Eakin, Bjork, and Caggiula is a tank.  This is literally what Jbot did on day 1, except KA did it year 2.  We were rewarded with Dahlin and still stink.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Call it what you want, but having a roster at the cap floor, hiring goaltenders like Anderson and Dell, coupled with JAGS Subban, Hayden, Hagg, Butcher, Eakin, Bjork, and Caggiula is a tank.  This is literally what Jbot did on day 1, except KA did it year 2.  We were rewarded with Dahlin and still stink.  

Or it’s preparation for a sale/part sale.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Isn't this the plot of Matthew Broderick's The Producers?

Mel Brook’s Producers and no they over sold their show and then tried to make sure it flopped to avoid being profitable.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

you most definitely do minimize expenses and long term obligations.

No, you try to enhance margins. You can do that by limiting costs, but you have to maintain revenue.  

You never destroy your revenue before you sell.

• Haha (+1) 1

Mel Brook’s Producers and no they over sold their show and then tried to make sure it flopped to avoid being profitable.

No, you try to enhance margins. You can do that by limiting costs, but you have to maintain revenue.  

You never destroy your revenue before you sell.

Minimum wage contracts, laying off scouts when they can't scout, and movement of long term commitments are costs decisions, not revenue decisions.

16 hours ago, Weave said:

Minimum wage contracts, laying off scouts when they can't scout, and movement of long term commitments are costs decisions, not revenue decisions.

And what was the results of those decisions?  They contained costs but created a terrible product, alienated their costumers who are no longer coming to the stadium or spending on the team.  The Sabres are an NHL low in attendance at 8600 per game or 45% of capacity.  This is a year over year drop of 50%.  They averaged over 17000 fans last year. This is a huge drop in revenue in a league still reliant on gate receipts. 

And what was the results of those decisions?  They contained costs but created a terrible product, alienated their costumers who are no longer coming to the stadium or spending on the team.  The Sabres are an NHL low in attendance at 8600 per game or 45% of capacity.  This is a year over year drop of 50%.  They averaged over 17000 fans last year. This is a huge drop in revenue in a league still reliant on gate receipts. 

Its the wrong thread for this topic, but interest by a PEI is not revenues when they are such a small portion of the value of the team.

And those decisions were still not revenue decisions, they were on the other side of the ledger.

Edited by Weave

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Makes zero sense at all.  This season is about developing the players who are already here, not thinking about who might be available to draft 

Are you seeing the beginnings of a winning culture where developing players are rewarded?  I’m not.  Quinn and Samuelsson remain in Rochester.  Eakin, Butcher and Hayden among others remain in the lineup.  

This roster was designed to fail and it has.  We traded away or lost every valuable asset and replaced them with garbage.  It’s called a tank.  Which young player is new to this lineup this season that didn’t play a substantial role last year?  None.  Fitz, Quinn, JJP, and Murray have played some, but all have been sent down.  Krebs will also be sent down soon.  Samuelsson hasn’t even been given an opportunity.  

Hard to build a winning culture when you spend to the cap floor, fill the roster with JAGs, don’t promote the kids full time who have earned the opportunity and don’t surround the kids with the tools to succeed with like adequate goaltending. KA was also very clear about getting more assets for the organization, and like Jbot and TM before him, the tank is part of that strategy. 

The Sabres are 28th in win %. 28th in goals against, 28th in goal differential, and 26th in goals for.  This is a terrible hockey team, and just like Eichel and Reinhart, this new batch of kids is learning to lose.

Hopefully, the first change coming that Peters mentioned is that KA is booted out of the GM chair.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Its the wrong thread for this topic, but interest by a PEI is not revenues when they are such a small portion of the value of the team.

And those decisions were still not revenue decisions, they were on the other side of the ledger.

What does Prince Edward Island have to do with anything?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are you seeing the beginnings of a winning culture where developing players are rewarded?  I’m not.  Quinn and Samuelsson remain in Rochester.  Eakin, Butcher and Hayden among others remain in the lineup.  

This roster was designed to fail and it has.  We traded away or lost every valuable asset and replaced them with garbage.  It’s called a tank.  Which young player is new to this lineup this season that didn’t play a substantial role last year?  None.  Fitz, Quinn, JJP, and Murray have played some, but all have been sent down.  Krebs will also be sent down soon.  Samuelsson hasn’t even been given an opportunity.  

Hard to build a winning culture when you spend to the cap floor, fill the roster with JAGs, don’t promote the kids full time who have earned the opportunity and don’t surround the kids with the tools to succeed with like adequate goaltending. KA was also very clear about getting more assets for the organization, and like Jbot and TM before him, the tank is part of that strategy. 

The Sabres are 28th in win %. 28th in goals against, 28th in goal differential, and 26th in goals for.  This is a terrible hockey team, and just like Eichel and Reinhart, this new batch of kids is learning to lose.

Hopefully, the first change coming that Peters mentioned is that KA is booted out of the GM chair.

They are bringing them in slow, I don't mind having the kids grow in Rochester for a year.   Starting to think even if Wright needs another year to build some muscle I would keep him in the OHL.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Samuelsson had covid and Quinn had mono. Your first part doesn't take that into account. 

I don't agree with anything else written here. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.