Quietly good: Ryan Johnson, the other LHD

LGR4GM

We don't talk enough about Ryan and part of that is because others outshine him. He is not flashy, outside of his elite skating there not another elite thing. He is just solid in all areas and does his job really well. So why am I mentioning him today... well this scrolled across my twitter feed. Everyone wants effort and hard work on the ice, that mentality starts off it. 

just quietly having a 12pt in 20game season for U. Minn on their top defense pair with Brock Faber. 

On the Sabres, because of Dahlin and Power, Ryan Johnson projects out to a solid 3rd pairing guy but can probably hold down the 2nd pairing if you don't expect too much from him. We're talking like a 25pt defender who just wins the puck and exits the zone, wins the puck and exits the zone, wash rinse repeat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't talk enough about Ryan and part of that is because others outshine him. He is not flashy, outside of his elite skating there not another elite thing. He is just solid in all areas and does his job really well. So why am I mentioning him today... well this scrolled across my twitter feed. Everyone wants effort and hard work on the ice, that mentality starts off it. 

just quietly having a 12pt in 20game season for U. Minn on their top defense pair with Brock Faber. 

On the Sabres, because of Dahlin and Power, Ryan Johnson projects out to a solid 3rd pairing guy but can probably hold down the 2nd pairing if you don't expect too much from him. We're talking like a 25pt defender who just wins the puck and exits the zone, wins the puck and exits the zone, wash rinse repeat. 

Another Mark Pysyk! Good 

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The last remaining piece from the ROR trade, yes? Just to make the trade even worse I fully expect him to go the UFA route after putting in 4 years at college.

I think if I were the Sabres and he won't sign this offseason, you look to move him. He would have enough value to return a similar good young player and teams like Edmonton and others have deficits on their defense for good young defenders. I would like to sign him and let him fight for that 3rd pairing spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

The last remaining piece from the ROR trade, yes? Just to make the trade even worse I fully expect him to go the UFA route after putting in 4 years at college.

No.  Tage Thompson.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

walmart brian campbell

I don’t think he is that similar to Campbell.  I think he projects to be better defensively and not nearly the puck carrier or offensive talent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

No.  Tage Thompson.

I don’t think he is that similar to Campbell.  I think he projects to be better defensively and not nearly the puck carrier or offensive talent.

I think Tage is still out producing ROR this year,  right?

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd say more like a nice Target. It's fine though because Power is like Saks 5th Avenue

Haha, I do like him tho.     I skated with him (and his Dad) a bit over the summer last year.     That said I think he's a guy that will need a couple seasons in Rochester.    He has a very slight build (he's actually closer to 5'11 than 6'1) and it will take him some time to figure out how to win pucks at the pro level since he won't be able to out leverage guys.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Haha, I do like him tho.     I skated with him (and his Dad) a bit over the summer last year.     That said I think he's a guy that will need a couple seasons in Rochester.    He has a very slight build (he's actually closer to 5'11 than 6'1) and it will take him some time to figure out how to win pucks at the pro level since he won't be able to out leverage guys.   

You’re revealing your source?

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think if I were the Sabres and he won't sign this offseason, you look to move him. He would have enough value to return a similar good young player and teams like Edmonton and others have deficits on their defense for good young defenders. I would like to sign him and let him fight for that 3rd pairing spot. 

Agree, I fear he is close enough to opt to stay in school another year and become a free agent and sign wherever he wants.  He may already notice there are two first overall picks already in the mix, plus Mattias and think his future is brighter somewhere else in the league.

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Agree, I fear he is close enough to opt to stay in school another year and become a free agent and sign wherever he wants.  He may already notice there are two first overall picks already in the mix, plus Mattias and think his future is brighter somewhere else in the league.

If Johnson desires going to a team where he will get an opportunity to play as soon as possible in the NHL it will be with Buffalo. I can't say for sure that if he came out this year that he will make the NHL roster next year. But without a doubt he will be given an opportunity in training camp to make the roster. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Johnson desires going to a team where he will get an opportunity to play as soon as possible in the NHL it will be with Buffalo. I can't say for sure that if he came out this year that he will make the NHL roster next year. But without a doubt he will be given an opportunity in training camp to make the roster. 

Perhaps, but with Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson expected to be competing on the left side, there is quite a log jam of young talent there.  If Johnson were a right-handed player, I agree he would easily have a shot at making it.  I personally like to see our defense playing on their proper sides during 5-on-5.

40 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure where or how he fits in. I want some big physical bruisers on the D to go with the puck movers. We're going to have top notch D men what we need is complementary partners to go with them. 

But depth is good, and who knows which one emerges as the best. Can't have too many imo.

I want an eyeroll emoji

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure where or how he fits in. I want some big physical bruisers on the D to go with the puck movers. We're going to have top notch D men what we need is complementary partners to go with them. 

But depth is good, and who knows which one emerges as the best. Can't have too many imo.

David Jiricek would fit the bill. 6'3" 190lbs, rhd. He got suspended last season for a hit and loves to be physical. 

Dahlin - Jiricek

Power - Joker

Samuelsson - vet rhd

Bryson - Johnson 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Tage is still out producing ROR this year,  right?

I looked it up.  Tage has 1 more point, but 2 more games played.  So about the same.  I'm not saying that Thompson brings all the intangibles to a team that O'Reilly does, but if Tage contines his upward trajectory and is a solid point producer for many years to come in the NHL, and Ryan Johnson signs with the Sabres and becomes a quality top-6 (or top-4) NHL defenseman, the trade won't look that bad down the road.  St. Louis rode O'Reilly to Cup, but that wasn't going to happen in Buffalo.  So, while the trade is still ugly at this point, there is potential for it to even out a little bit over the next several years.  Also throw in the facts that Tage is 6 years younger than O'Reilly and costs a lot less....

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

While he does deserve more talk here, don't really want to until he's actually signed.

Agree that he's 3rd pairing on this team due to the 1 area that the team has real depth & likely tops out as a 2nd pairing guy.  But, considering it's likely 50/50 that he actually signs, don't really want to "hear" about his upside.

Probably too cynical, but too many "nice things" left this off-season to get attached to another one that might simply walk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.