GDT: Sabres @ Nashville MSG 8 PM EST

bob_sauve28

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Hello Teamnates, Punch checking in. 

I have been watching the game while connecting, testing, and listening to my newly restored Marantz 2270 stereo receiver.  This one was built in 1976, one of the last ones built according to serial numbers.  

This now completely restored classic should last another 50 years.  Back in the day, Marantz was known for beauty, high quality,  and great sound.  I think this particular restoration is amazing and captured the sound of it’s day.  That new components are still breaking in and impressing me.  This little beauty can easily fill a big room with great sound. It has two phono inputs (great for vinyl lovers), one aux input and two tape inputs - the later three inputs are line inputs compatible with any of today’s modern audio devices - CD/DVD, outboard DACs, blue tooth streaming devices, etc. . 

It can drive two speaker sets which means a sub (or two) is easy to do.  The preamp and power amp can be separated on the back panel if you have better separate components to match up with it.  It had a AM/FM tuner to pull in radio (old school).  

The solid aluminum face plate, the push button switches and smooth dials provide effective and pleasant manual controls for bass, midrange, treble, loudness, balance and numerous audio filters.  It has headphone jacks and recording monitors.  The blue lighting, classic dials, and meters give it a warm and a classic look of mid century Americana.  It is a statement piece   I will be having a replica Marantz American Walnut wood case built for it next.  

You would have to spend many, many thousands of dollars to get something of this sound quality today.   This rivals my best custom/modern equipment.  

The Sabres are kicking Azz.  So great night for Punch, and Mrs Punch too. I just can’t concentrate on hockey with this baby coming off of the work bench.  

4DDE5DA5-2677-4E68-97DF-DF9D08A0661C.thumb.jpeg.f8133af2ea6630f211ac4ba0f6a2d55f.jpeg

A9F09D8C-5A36-44C7-81A0-85568E603249.thumb.jpeg.a38acfa921019465493526d64a978604.jpeg

Lets finish this game !  

Gorgeous! Congratulations on such a beautiful achievement. I have a couple of Marantz components but not a receiver. My dad raised me on Macintosh. He passed on his original tube amp to me. I consider it one of my greatest treasures (although it needs a little repair work done on it now, it still produces the best/richest sound).

Sabrespace Audiophile Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I was referring to the pairing of the two of them as well but LGR4GM always takes it to the silly extreme and thinks any time you talk about controlling or clearing the front of the net you're advocating 80s hockey and talking Larry Playfair or something. 

The simple recent comparison is Boston-Tampa vs. Buffalo-Tampa. Against us they owned the slot and the front are in general and scored at will. Boston, on the other hand controlled the front of the net and shut them down. They have smooth skaters like Grezlyck and Reilly, but they also added Forbert to Carlo (and McAvoy is big and strong too) as they see the need. 

Joker and Dahlin is not a good pairing imo and it's a terrible PK one. 

Agree with most of this.  For Dahlin, He has recently had fewer defensive gaffes, with continued dominance in the o-zone.  He had 5 registered hits and I saw two legit tonight.  Plus he is playing hard minutes.  Look at his defensive zone starts this year vs. 2019.  But to your point that pairing is giving up a lot of opportunities.  Talk about high event hockey. They were on the ice for 13  shots attempts for and 18 shot attempts against, 5 v 5.  His new partner should priority 2 of the off-season.   Question - why is a LR pairing so important on a PK?  I would think less so, and more of a reason to split them for special teams.  

• Like (+1) 1

I thought the Sabres PK tonight looked as good as it’s been all year.

Not sure what any of the 4 skaters were supposed to have done differently on the goal. Nobody got overpowered. There was literally no way in real time either defenceman could have gotten a body on Duchene in that situation.

The puck went from the crease, to the high slot, to up in the air where Duchene picked it out of the air all in about .03 seconds. Great hand-eye on a pinballing puck.

Most NHL goalies would have been tall in the butterfly there, which might have given them a better chance of making the save than lying half on their back, but even then, it was mostly a ***** happens goal.

And before somebody says someone should have had a body on Duchene earlier, that’s not how it works when you’re killing a penalty. You don’t lock in on one guy, you have to pick and choose when to close and pressure in between blocking the passing lanes and watching 2 or even 3 attackers at the same time as they toss the puck around you.

It honestly seems like some people judge defence solely by looking at the replay to see who the closest guy is to the goal scorer and start pointing.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The team needed to make that statement after Tuesday’s stinker.

This game was a necessary reminder what a difference it makes to have 3 good players on one line. Tuch, Cozens and Skinner seemed to have good chemistry and embraced Granato’s preferred style. If Tage can slide back between Asplund and VO and find their early season form we may have 3 decent lines. Z and KO will be competent with whoever they are with.

Dell proved he actually can win a hockey game. Not sure if he will get many where this team will make it that easy for him. I don’t know that he had to make a tough save the entire game. I don’t think I will ever feel comfortable watching him play, he just doesn’t play like an NHL goalie. I suspect this game means nothing for the big picture in goal. Still not sure what he was doing practically on his back for that PP goal.

People who say size matters need to hold that game up as Exhibit A. Adding Okposo, Tuch and Hagg made a huge difference, the way they - and others - battled through a Nashville team that was determined to pound the ***** out of us.

Rasmus Dahlin continues to be a joy to watch. Looked like he was loving the rough stuff.

Wins are fun. I’ve missed them.

I think that the ability to battle through the physical gauntlet was what impressed me most.  I was out for blood, but they, wisely, retaliated very little and played an emotionally mature brand of hockey that, frankly, I'm not used to seeing from this group.  They did not wither and die from the pressure, but seemed to feed off of it. The addition of the three players you cited played a crucial part, but, ultimately, it was up to the group to prove to themselves that they could do it.

Also, what really impressed me was how beautifully fluid a game Skinner plays when he is on point.  Games like that are what I was hoping for when the Sabres backed up the Brinks truck for him.  I hope to see more.

Finally, Aaron Dell was efficient and solid, as well.  Obviously, we'll see what more he's got in his game (based on his past performance, I was expecting nothing) very soon, but that check that he threw seemed to energize our entire bench.

It's only one victory in another, apparently, woebegotten season, but it feels so satisfying.

Edited by Dreams Burn Down

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I was referring to the pairing of the two of them as well but LGR4GM always takes it to the silly extreme and thinks any time you talk about controlling or clearing the front of the net you're advocating 80s hockey and talking Larry Playfair or something. 

The simple recent comparison is Boston-Tampa vs. Buffalo-Tampa. Against us they owned the slot and the front are in general and scored at will. Boston, on the other hand controlled the front of the net and shut them down. They have smooth skaters like Grezlyck and Reilly, but they also added Forbert to Carlo (and McAvoy is big and strong too) as they see the need. 

Joker and Dahlin is not a good pairing imo and it's a terrible PK one. 

You have this unreal expectation and use every single goal against to be like "look! They aren't physical enough, that's why they got scored on!" It simply isn't true, I'm glad you cited 2 teams who are more talented than us. Dahlin was great last night but the crusade against him is never ending and suggestion last night specifically he wasn't tough enough is a level of denial not seen since the concept of kassian. That goal is a results from a pinball puck getting put in, it happens but unless Dahlin is perfect,  he's criticized because he's the new whipping boy even though for about a month he's probably been the best defenseman, at least the last 4 games. 

Here's a question who was better last night; Roman Josi or Dahlin?

Since Dahlin isn't physical enough who was 1st on the Sabres in hits?

The problem is Jokiharju isn't a top pairing defender and it really shows. He's not strong enough on pucks or skilled enough to handle those minutes. If I were Buffalo, I would be exploring the market to move a guy like Johnson or Bryson for a rhd.

Just some impressions on the game:

Dahlin was the best player on the ice. 

Tuch is not a flashy player but he is a good and tough player. His quick pass to Skinner for his spin-around breakaway was nifty. As mentioned by others the Tuch, Cozens and Skinner line is a well assembled line. 

Skinner is playing with joy and effort. He should be given more credit for his passing. 

The Sabres gave their goalie exceptional defensive support throughout the game. There were few lapses that left the goalie exposed. 

What impressed me about Dell's play is that there were few juicy rebounds. When he made a stop, he made a stop. He played a composed game with few frantic moments.

The Sabres played the proverbial visiting team style of conservative game that makes defense the first priority. They played it hard and tight from the first drop of the puck to the concluding sounding horn. Nashville was the frustrated team on the ice. That's a refreshing change. 

Once Tage, Krebs and later Mitts get back into the lineup you can see a fuller team developing. And then if you add Quinn, Power, JJ and Samulesson to that mix your attitude about this franchise should dramatically change for the good. Stay the course!

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I stand to be corrected!  What a strong performance by Dell!

He was good. Made all the saves but one.  On the other hand the Preds looked slow and weren't playing with much urgency either. We seem to do better against Western conference teams. Maybe they just assume they can win mailing it in.

11 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Hello Teamnates, Punch checking in. 

I have been watching the game while connecting, testing, and listening to my newly restored Marantz 2270 stereo receiver.  This one was built in 1976, one of the last ones built according to serial numbers.  

This now completely restored classic should last another 50 years.  Back in the day, Marantz was known for beauty, high quality,  and great sound.  I think this particular restoration is amazing and captured the sound of it’s day.  That new components are still breaking in and impressing me.  This little beauty can easily fill a big room with great sound. It has two phono inputs (great for vinyl lovers), one aux input and two tape inputs - the later three inputs are line inputs compatible with any of today’s modern audio devices - CD/DVD, outboard DACs, blue tooth streaming devices, etc. . 

It can drive two speaker sets which means a sub (or two) is easy to do.  The preamp and power amp can be separated on the back panel if you have better separate components to match up with it.  It had a AM/FM tuner to pull in radio (old school).  

The solid aluminum face plate, the push button switches and smooth dials provide effective and pleasant manual controls for bass, midrange, treble, loudness, balance and numerous audio filters.  It has headphone jacks and recording monitors.  The blue lighting, classic dials, and meters give it a warm and a classic look of mid century Americana.  It is a statement piece   I will be having a replica Marantz American Walnut wood case built for it next.  

You would have to spend many, many thousands of dollars to get something of this sound quality today.   This rivals my best custom/modern equipment.  

The Sabres are kicking Azz.  So great night for Punch, and Mrs Punch too. I just can’t concentrate on hockey with this baby coming off of the work bench.  

4DDE5DA5-2677-4E68-97DF-DF9D08A0661C.thumb.jpeg.f8133af2ea6630f211ac4ba0f6a2d55f.jpeg

A9F09D8C-5A36-44C7-81A0-85568E603249.thumb.jpeg.a38acfa921019465493526d64a978604.jpeg

Lets finish this game !  

Back in 1980 I bought this Yamaha set up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154713060199?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=154713060199&targetid=1262749492982&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1021882&poi=&campaignid=13918288950&mkgroupid=125246957176&rlsatarget=pla-1262749492982&abcId=9300614&merchantid=114993841&gclid=CjwKCAiA24SPBhB0EiwAjBgkhrBSN6j8w8e35wBEbmOb7YyDpqQFHd_yLXMhNPGiVfVfG2Xo5ZMkxRoCrowQAvD_BwE

Later I added a Technics SL 1200 MK2 turntable.

https://reverb.com/item/47028617-technics-sl-1200-mk2-professional-turntable-direct-drive-w-dust-cover-ortofon-cartridge?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12293041906&utm_content=campaignid=12293041906_adgroupid=119218509524_productpartitionid=1460859622483=merchantid=144508916_productid=47028617_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=497396046170&gclid=CjwKCAiA24SPBhB0EiwAjBgkhrCVJqXCFxcsZmEWHxAEua06720kImiaHwZBCurUyIVvQFhpbRUOUBoCweUQAvD_BwE

The Yamaha rig crapped out on me. I suppose I should have tried to fix it but it likely needed new capacitors. Not a job I could do. I still have the old Technics turntable sitting here.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

My Observations from last night:

1. Jankowski and Bjork played their best games last night, both were very good defensively, Hinostroza was flying around also
  2. Being a very good defensive man doesn't mean you're perfect, as for someone's observation that who was better Dahlin or Josi, you can add Hedman to that list also from the game before. Well deserved All Star game nomination IMO
  3. Amazing what happens when you add 3 NHL vets to your lineup in Tuch, Okposo and Hagg especially on the PK
  4. We may have caught Nashville at the right time after their victory against Colorado the other day but that doesn't take away the cohesiveness the Sabres played with either. I was entertained.
  5. The lineup will get interesting when Mitts and Thompson gets back. Who'll play with who. Cozens looked dangerous with Skinner and Tuch. WTF was FHCRK thinking when he kept demoting Skinner?? When he's on, he's a pain in the dupa to play against.
  6. The team defense made Dell look good, don't fool yourself we're still in GK hell
  • Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, jsb said:

My Observations from last night:

1. Jankowski and Bjork played their best games last night, both were very good defensively, Hinostroza was flying around also
  2. Being a very good defensive man doesn't mean you're perfect, as for someone's observation that who was better Dahlin or Josi, you can add Hedman to that list also from the game before. Well deserved All Star game nomination IMO
  3. Amazing what happens when you add 3 NHL vets to your lineup in Tuch, Okposo and Hagg especially on the PK
  4. We may have caught Nashville at the right time after their victory against Colorado the other day but that doesn't take away the cohesiveness the Sabres played with either. I was entertained.
  5. The lineup will get interesting when Mitts and Thompson gets back. Who'll play with who. Cozens looked dangerous with Skinner and Tuch. WTF was FHCRK thinking when he kept demoting Skinner?? When he's on, he's a pain in the dupa to play against.
  6. The team defense made Dell look good, don't fool yourself we're still in GK hell

Skinner likes to freelance and Krueger loves to destroy creativity so it was like oil and fire. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

Gorgeous! Congratulations on such a beautiful achievement. I have a couple of Marantz components but not a receiver. My dad raised me on Macintosh. He passed on his original tube amp to me. I consider it one of my greatest treasures (although it needs a little repair work done on it now, it still produces the best/richest sound).

Sabrespace Audiophile Cheers!

I have been looking for the right McIntosh Amp to come along.  I don’t need it, but that’s besides the point. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I have been looking for the right McIntosh Amp to come along.  I don’t need it, but that’s besides the point. 

If you ever come across a Bryston amp, jump on it. They don't have the cool lookin' meters on them, but damn they sound good.

I feel like you have to pay a little extra to get that McIntosh name on the front.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If you ever come across a Bryston amp, jump on it. They don't have the cool lookin' meters on them, but damn they sound good.

I feel like you have to pay a little extra to get that McIntosh name on the front.

Yes, true.  

I have a customized power amp designed by a guy that consulted to David Hafler. He lives a few miles away and does specialized work.  It competes with Bryston but is not well known. 

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, true.  

I have a customized power amp designed by a guy that consulted to David Hafler. He lives a few miles away and does specialized work.  It competes with Bryston but is not well known. 

I’ve had Haflers in the past. My guitar player still uses one. I should revisit them.

I have to admit that once I found my Bryston 3B, I stopped looking.

Now I have to go give it a workout with Permanent Waves. It turned 42 today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’ve had Haflers in the past. My guitar player still uses one. I should revisit them.

I have to admit that once I found my Bryston 3B, I stopped looking.

Now I have to go give it a workout with Permanent Waves. It turned 42 today.

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/trending-now/video-b-c-drummer-plays-all-175-rush-songs-in-24-minute-video/

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

How do they play like crap for a long time then beat the hottest team in the league on the road with 8th string goalie?

Great question.  They worked hard.  They didn’t let in cheap soft goals. They got a break or two.  They pushed back on the physical stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I restored one that I saw put out to the curb.   I gave it to my oldest son, it works great now. 

A Facebook Friend of a Facebook Friend, Tom Crandall, restores classic turntables with a twist:  He either replaces the plastic bodies or puts a vernier on them that makes them look like expensive furniture.  They're works of art.  If you look at his public posts you can see several turntables he's done.  It's turntable pr0n, I tell ya.

image.thumb.png.8e6316453dae9170835a50fa5ad64410.png

image.thumb.png.548402789c4cf65ef0ab0228e4107559.png

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

A Facebook Friend of a Facebook Friend, Tom Crandall, restores classic turntables with a twist:  He either replaces the plastic bodies or puts a vernier on them that makes them look like expensive furniture.  They're works of art.  If you look at his public posts you can see several turntables he's done.  It's turntable pr0n, I tell ya.

image.thumb.png.8e6316453dae9170835a50fa5ad64410.png

image.thumb.png.548402789c4cf65ef0ab0228e4107559.png

Vinyl outsold cds this past year, which is about all I can add other than that looks cool

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

How do they play like crap for a long time then beat the hottest team in the league on the road with 8th string goalie?

The Sabres are a thin team with a full complement of players when healthy. The margin between being presentable to being marginally competitive is small. The addition of Okposo, Tuck and Hagg made a big difference in this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.