GDT: Lightning @ Sabres 7pm ET, Jan 11th 2022, msg-b wgr espn+

LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

My comparison is as the person he has semi-replaced -- someone here for 3 years or more, as a 3rd/4th C/W, who is considered defensively responsible. Asplund simply isn't the same player lately that he appeared to be growing into.

Judging by his game of late, whatever amount he improves upon Larsson, O-wise, he's giving up 10 fold on the defensive end. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

This team needs to go back to the basics.  Lesson one:  learn to pass to a team mate.  

Quinn had a pretty poor game passing the puck - but overall I thought he was quite good tbh. At least relative to the others haha. 

He had his chances, liked what I saw from him overall. 

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, it WILL be 2 years until we're competitive. Next year will be better but still not there, we're looking at 2023. I honestly thought ppl understood that by now. 

Two years until being competitive, so does that mean 3 more until playoffs? So not until 2025? Isn't that a bit of a tough sell? 

Or I guess whether they can "sell" it or not is irrelevant? 

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Exactly. The reset plan is along the timeline of all of these young defensemen. And they won't be consistently good until they each have a couple years of NHL experience. It's 2024-2025 before this roster has a chance. That's by design.

A chance? So, realistically, playoffs in 2026?

When does it end lol

• Like (+1) 1

Well that was painful. Not much good to take away from that game at all.

we are miles away from even competing against teams like Tampa. 

Not sure what the chirping was about but I would suggest that once you are able to carry these guys jockstraps then and only then should you be chirping in a 6-1 loss. You got schooled. Shut up and put your head down and try harder.

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I could have predicted most of these responses. 

Repeat after me, we are not talented enough. It isn't about hits or motivation or coaching, it's simply a far superior team beating their opponent. Like Georgia v. Vanderbilt 

Georgia is up 4 games in the all-time matchup with Vanderbilt. 121-117...

...in baseball

10 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

2 years imo. 

Two years if they start trying to win now.   Get a winning mindset and it will still take time to win.  Get the goaltending and a few more solid vets to help tend to this.  The entire notion that the can start trying in X years is wrong .  Not sure Adams gets that with the roster he put out there (even when taking Covid into consideration). 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Judging by his game of late, whatever amount he improves upon Larsson, O-wise, he's giving up 10 fold on the defensive end. 

Yup. He's got to turn this game around the second half of the season (they all do). And that could just be getting the real lineup together and having him settle into his appropriate role again.

But even more so -- it means the team needs to start skating and putting the effort in like they did in the beginning of the year until Anderson and Olofsson got hurt. Asplund has to be a part of that effort.

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. He's got to turn this game around the second half of the season (they all do). And that could just be getting the real lineup together and having him settle into his appropriate role again.

But even more so -- it means the team needs to start skating and putting the effort in like they did in the beginning of the year until Anderson and Olofsson got hurt. Asplund has to be a part of that effort.

I agree there's times where we aren't seeing the full-on effort as much as earlier, maybe, but I wonder how much is "effort" and how much of it just the optics of being made to look slow because the other teams have so much more talent. I maintain we don't get full on efforts from other teams earlier in season because, often, teams take a while to get in groove. The good ones. 

I don't really see them not working all that often 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Two years if the start trying to win now.   Get a winning mindset and it will still take time to win.  Get the goaltending and a few more solid vets to help tend to this.  The entire notion that the can start trying in X years is wrong .  Not sure Adams gets that with the roster he put out there (even when taking Covid into consideration). 

I'm definitely on team Punch, here

Pretty much the root of my issue with the strategy 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Two years if the start trying to win now.   Get a winning mindset and it will still take time to win.  Get the goaltending and a few more solid vets to help tend to this.  The entire notion that the can start trying in X years is wrong .  Not sure Adams gets that with the roster he put out there (even when taking Covid into consideration). 

If you create expectations you have to meet them. If you say "we need years to be competitive" it absolves you from having to produce any accomplishments and gives you job security

• Like (+1) 3

Okay, so I watched Tampa get dominated by Boston a few nights back, and in that game Tampa played much better than they did in this one. not trying to boost Boston, but they played team defense and didn't just let Tampa players walk into the slot and take free point blank shots. We were absolutely dreadful in this game and looked beat early and we did absolutely nothing. 

Okay, no we yapped at them, so words, but backed it up with nothing. We are a joke hockey team and Tampa didn't even break a sweat. I'd bet they have harder practices. 

That is the sort of effort that on a normal team can get a coach fired or a make a shake up happen. Absolute and total rubbish hockey. 

Dahlin and Olofsson running into each other on the PP pretty much sums up what we are, the keystone cops of hockey. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

If you create expectations you have to meet them. If you say "we need years to be competitive" it absolves you from having to produce any accomplishments and gives you job security

The Sabres have been doing this for years. Its always about the future. Its a little harder to compete now. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.