GDT: Lightning @ Sabres 7pm ET, Jan 11th 2022, msg-b wgr espn+

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A chance? So, realistically, playoffs in 2026?

When does it end lol

It never ends. (And I think it's the right way to build for sustained success.)

The sad part is the first time this team gets to the playoffs they're going to get steamrolled because none of these players know how to adapt to a team when it turns up the intensity. They haven't as a team for almost 8 years... see any Boston game. (Eichel's rookie season with Gionta/ROR and some veteran D they were able to stage some comebacks and weather some storms, but nothing even remotely consistent since then.) So then it will take an additional couple seasons to become a good playoff team together.

I think the first playoffs could be in the 2024-25 season. But it'll be '26-'27 before this new rebuild has the in-house developed depth and leadership and goaltending. Florida has taken forever to get good. Colorado had one blip season with Patrick Roy as coach, but otherwise it was 8 years before they started to be a decent team again, and then a few more years to be continuously good. The Sabres just hit the full rebuild button again by dumping Eichel and Reinhart (and others) for picks and prospects.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The sad part is the first time this team gets to the playoffs they're going to get steamrolled because none of these players know how to adapt to a team when it turns up the intensity. They haven't as a team for almost 8 years... see any Boston game. (Eichel's rookie season with Gionta/ROR and some veteran D they were able to stage some comebacks and weather some storms, but nothing even remotely consistent since then.) So then it will take an additional couple seasons to become a good playoff team together.

I think the first playoffs could be in the 2024-25 season. But it'll be '26-'27 before this new rebuild has the in-house developed depth and leadership and goaltending. Florida has taken forever to get good. Colorado had one blip season with Patrick Roy as coach, but otherwise it was 8 years before they started to be a decent team again, and then a few more years to be continuously good. The Sabres just hit the full rebuild button again by dumping Eichel and Reinhart (and others) for picks and prospects.

I promise not to be upset about this! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FogBat said:

I listened on SXM. That had to have been Darcy Tucker-style bush league.

It wasn't that bad. There have been much, much worse. Maroon got blocked a bit by Joker, then fell over Subban from behind. But --- Tampa is up by 5 goals at that point. Someone just tumbled your backup goalie and UPL is already hurt. There has to be some scrap and fight and defending your goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

If that's the case good for the people in Portland, Kansas City, Quebec or wherever this franchise has been relocated to by then. They are drawing smaller crowds than just about any AHL team not named the Bridgeport Islanders, what do you think it's going to look like after a few more years of this putrid dogshit?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Any team that can turn die hard Sabre fans into one's that don't even have interest in hockey anymore is truly something special. 

Terry Pegula is to hockey what Dan Snyder is to football: Completely killed markets dead where such a feat was thought to be impossible.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

If that's the case good for the people in Portland, Kansas City, Quebec or wherever this franchise has been relocated to by then. They are drawing smaller crowds than just about any AHL team not named the Bridgeport Islanders, what do you think it's going to look like after a few more years of this putrid dogshit?

Lol not happening, Bills will be gone before the sabres ever do.   Next year the place will be full every night again with Wright or Savoie on the team.   And in 2 years a big UFA signing will happen as well.   

Also don't underestimate what covid is doing to attendance.  I would think twice before risking even sitting in a half full house in a closed building.

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I felt bad for Subban having to come in cold like that. Kucherov looked almost apologetic upon scoring. 

I don't. Subban's lucky to have an NHL pay check. Definitely doesn't deserve one. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

It wasn't that bad. There have been much, much worse. Maroon got blocked a bit by Joker, then fell over Subban from behind. But --- Tampa is up by 5 goals at that point. Someone just tumbled your backup goalie and UPL is already hurt. There has to be some scrap and fight and defending your goalie.

We gave them a stern talking to. 

50 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Lol not happening, Bills will be gone before the sabres ever do.   Next year the place will be full every night again with Wright or Savoie on the team.   And in 2 years a big UFA signing will happen as well.   

Also don't underestimate what covid is doing to attendance.  I would think twice before risking even sitting in a half full house in a closed building.

Yes there are a few reasons why the arena isn’t full. Even if some want to say it’s only only only … because they suck this season. I talk to several season ticket holders. And I am one myself. It’s just not true that it’s only their record that keeps the arena mostly empty.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Yes there are a few reasons why the arena isn’t full. Even if some want to say it’s only only only … because they suck this season. I talk to several season ticket holders. And I am one myself. It’s just not true that it’s only their record that keeps the arena mostly empty.

If that was true Highmark Stadium would have been a quarter to half empty every game instead of all but sold out every game. If the Sabres weren't the single worst joke of a franchise in all of pro sports and were competitive there would be way more than a couple of thousand fans in attendance every night.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If that was true Highmark Stadium would have been a quarter to half empty every game instead of all but sold out every game. If the Sabres weren't the single worst joke of a franchise in all of pro sports and were competitive there would be way more than a couple of thousand fans in attendance every night.

I might not have been a fan as long as some of you, but this season is the most upbeat I have been in years.  Which I never expected after seeing Reinhart and also Eichel traded.   

I'm liking the direction we are going in and I think we will be a powerhouse team in 2 years if the kids pan out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I understand the frustration with the Sabres.  I get it and I feel it.  This rebuild, however, feels like a different animal.  In hindsight, this bottom-to-top rebuild is what should have happened after Lindy and Darcy were shown the door.  Ever since my first in-person game, a 14-2 win over the Capitals in December 1975, I've bled blue and gold.  I will always bleed blue and gold and will see the attempted rebirth of this moribund franchise to whatever end.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes the team is not winning many games right now but they are probably as good as they would have been had we kept jack and Sam and Risto and carried on doing what they have been doing which is of course skate around, maybe score once in a while but otherwise show no real interest. At least now there seems to be some sort of "plan" and "direction" and there seems to be some hope now that did not exist not to long ago.

As for attendance, of course the play of the team is closely linked to how many people show up but also the fact that  us Canadians got use to not coming has hurt too. I use to buy tickets regularly and drive down with my son (who unfortunately i got to love the team like I do). Obviously good old COVID has sure put a damper on any thought of driving down these days. Hopefully when the bloody thing goes away whenever that may be we can safely return as I miss our weekend getaways to Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Any team that can turn die hard Sabre fans into one's that don't even have interest in hockey anymore is truly something special. 

Hate to admit it but this is me. Fan from teams inception but interest has definitely been evaporating. Some of it could be age as I'll turn 79 in two months but a lot is just the franchises history of downward spiral in all facets. Bankruptcy literally once and figuratively in general.  Yeah, I still pay attention but the passion has gone. This is true in sports in general I have to admit.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I might not have been a fan as long as some of you, but this season is the most upbeat I have been in years.  Which I never expected after seeing Reinhart and also Eichel traded.   

I'm liking the direction we are going in and I think we will be a powerhouse team in 2 years if the kids pan out.

Appreciate your optimism but I just don't have it right now. Also going from this team to a powerhouse in 2 years is extremely optimistic.  

38 minutes ago, nucci said:

Appreciate your optimism but I just don't have it right now. Also going from this team to a powerhouse in 2 years is extremely optimistic.  

There is a big fat if in his post.

I am optimistic too, but the young ones really need to develop into something.  They have the right attitude and the right coach for that to happen, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, nucci said:

Powerhouse is 100% the wrong word. In 2 years we should be a team that can compete for a playoff spot. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well, you keep saying this, so it must be true. I just have one question, though, if the team was good, would the arena be full?

We all know the answer.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Well, you keep saying this, so it must be true. I just have one question, though, if the team was good, would the arena be full?

We all know the answer.

It’s ok … there there … we can agree to disagree. You are very hell bent on making others only see things your way. I personally couldn’t care less if you agree with an opinion of mine. Honestly. And you shouldn’t care if I agree with yours. I mean the free exchange of ideas and opinions right? Or is that limited? I know why I don’t go to the arena. I know the reasons why many Sabres fans I personally know (friends, co-workers, clients) don’t go to the arena. It’s not ONLY ONLY ONLY their record. Believe what you want. I’ll do the same. As I said a few days ago… all good 👍🏼 

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

It’s ok … there there … we can agree to disagree. You are very hell bent on making others only see things your way. I personally couldn’t care less if you agree with an opinion of mine. Honestly. And you shouldn’t care if I agree with yours. I mean the free exchange of ideas and opinions right? Or is that limited? I know why I don’t go to the arena. I know the reasons why many Sabres fans I personally know (friends, co-workers, clients) don’t go to the arena. It’s not ONLY ONLY ONLY their record. Believe what you want. I’ll do the same. As I said a few days ago… all good 👍🏼 

You didn’t answer the question.

Just now, SwampD said:

Nope. You explained why you think the arena is empty now.

I’ll ask again, would the arena be full if the team was good?

It’s ok … there there … we can agree to disagree. You are very hell bent on making others only see things your way. I personally couldn’t care less if you agree with an opinion of mine. Honestly. And you shouldn’t care if I agree with yours. I mean the free exchange of ideas and opinions right? Or is that limited? I know why I don’t go to the arena. I know the reasons why many Sabres fans I personally know (friends, co-workers, clients) don’t go to the arena. It’s not ONLY ONLY ONLY their record. Believe what you want. I’ll do the same. As I said a few days ago… all good 👍🏼 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.