GDT: Sharks at Sabres 7PM Jan 6, 2022

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Lips ? We don’t have a Crosby for him to ride. 

Let me rephrase that. We don’t have a Crosby to carry him.

Sean Gentile of the Athletic had a great article today about how E Rod is driving play this year and creating His Own Opportunities 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

Sean Gentile of the Athletic had a great article today about how E Rod is driving play this year and creating His Own Opportunities 

Besides playing with more overall talent on his line … dare I say at 28 … he’s developed well in the past 2 years, and/or he’s having a couple of outlier type years. Unsustainable pace long term.  

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ah ok not sure I had heard that. And Darth wasn't originally Luke's father, right?

Correct. In Lucas' original story Luke was a Starkiller and his father was another character entirely. For Empire, the original script by Leigh Brackett still had no familial relations. So it wasn't until during production that script tweaks/revisions with Kasdan's script brought in the father/son connection for drama's sake. 

(Perhaps this is why Disney thought they could just let things develop organically? Who knows. But that's a bold move for a corporation with a franchise and not a solo author working on a single script.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:
Comments are gold.

Asplund was terrible tonight. Opening missed shot chance, then a bad giveaway, and then this. 

And he doesn't have to go in and blow the player up. Just stand them up, stay in position, and force a battle for the puck. It can always pop loose and become an instant pass for a scoring opportunity (see SJ's 1st goal where the Shark battled Thompson, made a pass, and then the rebound became a goal).

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Asplund was terrible tonight. Opening missed shot chance, then a bad giveaway, and then this. 

And he doesn't have to go in and blow the player up. Just stand them up, stay in position, and force a battle for the puck. It can always pop loose and become an instant pass for a scoring opportunity (see SJ's 1st goal where the Shark battled Thompson, made a pass, and then the rebound became a goal).

By far the worst game I’ve seen him play.  

9 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I agree overall, but the storm may have impacted tonight's crowd.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That was the snow.

Since when has weather kept fans away? The Pegulas own that wretched sight.

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not enough talent. 

Also wth Cozens? You missed 2 open nets at least. 

We need last 10 minutes Dahlin permanently 

When the game's over?

8 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Two of those three things happened on the same shift if I recall correctly.  Perfect example of why the Sabres are so easy to play against, no fear on the other team that they will get hit by a Buffalo player.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Comments are gold.

If we get back enough players for Saturdays game Asplund should be sat.  This type of play is completely unacceptable as a professional hockey player and Granato needs to make an example of him because I think it will help the team and Asplund.  This kid still has a chance to be more than a JAG in this league, but that's less likely to happen if he thinks this play was ok...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Since when has weather kept fans away? The Pegulas own that wretched sight.

When the game's over?

I remember a game during a snow storm from when I was a kid.  I think that it was against the Kings(?).  Anyway, my parents and many others slept overnight in the Aud Club.  Sabres fandom has certainly changed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Every store here has Nordiqes gear hanging, I miss a team here. Not fair Florida and Arizona have one and there isn't another rivalry up north. 

Got quite A few comments in French wearing some sabres gear, they love hockey here. I wish I still felt that way at home. The Sabres have absolutley lost some of the hold they have over the city. 

Thanks Terry 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

The Aud used to be packed in worse weather conditions

People mistakenly  point to one reason. Or maybe two. I honestly believe it’s a multitude of reasons why the arena is the way it is. In no particular order.

1. People positive with Covid.

2. The team sucks and don’t want to spend the money to see them.

3. Don’t want to go to a game where you have to show proof of vaccination. Even if you are vaccinated.

4. Some fans aren’t vaccinated. So therefore can’t attend.

5. Can’t afford it at this time. maybe their work closed down or they’re laid off due to pandemic etc …

6. Canadian fans don’t want to put up with the hassle of coming over the border and going back. Or can’t at this time.

7. Weather related reasons.

I am sure there are a few other reasons as well… 

But I think it’s a multitude of reasons that could be pointed to as to why the arena attendance is the way it is. I know I have my reasons….

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Comments are gold.

Andrew asks if they are being coached this way.  I think there is something to this.  I’m as blood thirsty as the next guy but it would not surprise me that analytical data suggests it’s worse for your team to put yourself out of position, give up on playing the puck, to deck someone.  What can’t be measured is the ramifications of hitting players when they have the puck.  Is a player more tentative when handling the puck if they know someone is coming to lower the boom?  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bunomatic said:

In the 2nd just as buff went on the powerplay Ray says the sabres are 0 for 2 against New Jersey and RJ responds, “ Um, ok. “ I got a good chuckle out of that. 

Heard that too but didn't hear the RJ response.  Figured he didn't care and went with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

I remember a game during a snow storm from when I was a kid.  I think that it was against the Kings(?).  Anyway, my parents and many others slept overnight in the Aud Club.  Sabres fandom has certainly changed.

Only 3 years ago I went to a game in a snowstorm and then stayed DT for like 4 hours after at a bar because, getting home wasn't happening. It was a blast. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.